Technique question- shaving neck

SeanC

Forum GOD!
thank you

I had thought that this might be the case but I didn’t want to jump to that conclusion too soon as, for me, buying new equipment is usually the last resort. Perhaps the .68 game changer or a Karve with a B or C plate might go back onto my wish list.
I suspect that Karve C SB or Gamechanger .84 SB are what you really need. None of these options could be described as aggressive and are firmly in the medium bracket
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
thank you

I had thought that this might be the case but I didn’t want to jump to that conclusion too soon as, for me, buying new equipment is usually the last resort. Perhaps the .68 game changer or a Karve with a B or C plate might go back onto my wish list.
Or maybe try a shim ( blade with edges cut off with scissors) between the base plate and blade. This will increase the blade gap and may give you what you need. It's free to try. Worth a shot pal.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
That's pretty much a variation on what you already have. If you want to try it out for cheap, grab an R41 head clone from AliExpress ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000498306170.html ) - I bought it twice and a slightly different version came the second time, but it was because the base plate was wider. They both covered the tabs and eliminated blade chatter I get with the original R41 head.
For what's it worth, though, more aggressive razors cut the same as the mild ones if you use the same blade and it's clamped well. It's the blade that does the cutting, not the blade holder. They just help compensate for not keeping the angle well enough compared to neutral exposure head designs, and that helps with some tricky spots, too. They also help with longer growth that lies flat. Others might disagree, but I've actually had times when I'd thought I needed a more aggressive razor to get a closer shave, especially on my trouble areas, but then when I made sure the lather suited the head design and kept a close eye on the angle, I got pretty much the same shave as from an aggressive razor in as many passes, unless I had long growth in areas of my face where the hair lay flat.
A neutral (or slightly positive) exposure razor with a large gap (think Fine Marvel, Start 1.18, Colibri 1.50...) is kind of an in-between for me - the larger gap helps dial the angle in even when I'm shaving on autopilot.
A sharper blade usually does the trick too.
 

Grarea

Forum Plod
I was soon to start a similar thread.
I have a couple of areas on my neck as well.
I have not got round to working it out yet. It is only noticeable to the touch.

When i took a close up pic of the areas, they definitely lay against the skin.
If i go over the same area four or five times, you can still feel it rough.

The other side I have a swirl so i have stubble in all directions in a square plus it lays against the skin.

I tend to use efficient razors and sharp blades else it drags through the swirl.
I find efficient razors can judder. I think it is because they flex.
I find injector blades work a bit better.
Best i got was with the Wabbit.

Also, (long story short) i had a diet thing that was making stubble tougher.
They are getting easier.

Have you tried softening techniques?
I found soaking stubble with argan oil (half an hour worked best for me).
I found the better argan oils also softened better for unknown reasons.
I think the one in Holland and barrett worked best. But it is pricey.
Then while showering leave soap on stubble.
Helps to break down the outer layer.

(I mostly don't bother with any of this on a regular basis, just on the odd ocassion)
 

Masamune

Forum GOD!
I've had to settle on a less smooth shave on the neck, I've tried mild razors, efficient razors and even slant razors but I think the problem is the direction of the grain in my case. The grain goes around the neck, i.e. not up and down, so N-S is actually across the grain. How closely are you following the grain direction?
 

chazt

shave
Or maybe try a shim ( blade with edges cut off with scissors) between the base plate and blade. This will increase the blade gap and may give you what you need. It's free to try. Worth a shot pal.
YES! This is excellent advice. Using a shim also increases the mass of the blade, and more closely resembles the blades that were available when the Super Speed was designed and made. These old Gillettes become way more efficient when used with a shim. I’d also echo above comments about using less pressure. And one other thing. You don’t necessarily want to go for a super close shave in your problem areas. There’s going to be another shave in your immediate future.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I suspect that Karve C SB or Gamechanger .84 SB are what you really need. None of these options could be described as aggressive and are firmly in the medium bracket
I prefer mild razors too, the Feather AS-D2 is a favourite, but I'm a big fan of the .84 Game Changer SB.
 

RiverMan

Forum GOD!
I prefer mild razors too, the Feather AS-D2 is a favourite, but I'm a big fan of the .84 Game Changer SB.
ok, I have recklessly ordered the .84 game changer. I will report back.

I took a slightly different approach this evening: I used a new feather in the mamba and started with one very light pass on the neck, sort of halfway between xtg and atg then did a very small bit of wtg touching up afterwards. It felt counter intuitive to not start with a wtg pass but it was an improvement. Closer and a bit less irritation although there were a couple of spots where I saw a tiny spot of blood so still not perfect.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
You say you do two passes and that you use a mild razor. It could be that the Superspeed and Mamba are too mild for your stubble and that is why you are either left sore or unsatisfied with the shave.
Sometimes if you have course stubble Two passes isn't enough with a milder razor. A more aggressive razor/ blade combo should cut better in less passes. Less time on the neck and a better cut equals less irritation.
I think you need something a little more capable.
Master Wayne.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
That's pretty much a variation on what you already have. If you want to try it out for cheap, grab an R41 head clone from AliExpress ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000498306170.html ) - I bought it twice and a slightly different version came the second time, but it was because the base plate was wider. They both covered the tabs and eliminated blade chatter I get with the original R41 head.
For what's it worth, though, more aggressive razors cut the same as the mild ones if you use the same blade and it's clamped well. It's the blade that does the cutting, not the blade holder. They just help compensate for not keeping the angle well enough compared to neutral exposure head designs, and that helps with some tricky spots, too. They also help with longer growth that lies flat. Others might disagree, but I've actually had times when I'd thought I needed a more aggressive razor to get a closer shave, especially on my trouble areas, but then when I made sure the lather suited the head design and kept a close eye on the angle, I got pretty much the same shave as from an aggressive razor in as many passes, unless I had long growth in areas of my face where the hair lay flat.
A neutral (or slightly positive) exposure razor with a large gap (think Fine Marvel, Start 1.18, Colibri 1.50...) is kind of an in-between for me - the larger gap helps dial the angle in even when I'm shaving on autopilot.
King Slapo, excellent post.
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
ok, I have recklessly ordered the .84 game changer. I will report back.

I took a slightly different approach this evening: I used a new feather in the mamba and started with one very light pass on the neck, sort of halfway between xtg and atg then did a very small bit of wtg touching up afterwards. It felt counter intuitive to not start with a wtg pass but it was an improvement. Closer and a bit less irritation although there were a couple of spots where I saw a tiny spot of blood so still not perfect.
It's the damn Feather. You make the pass and after that you see the blood coming.

I highly recommend to keep the angle right on the neck as @R181 said. Whatever you do, don't go again & again the same area without any visible lather. Try relather and make an extra pass with buffing only, it is the only way to get closer without irritation. Try flattening the skin too.

I use almost exclusively aggressive razors.
 

Sig Solo

#WAD
Blade up...
Nacet, Gillette Platinum, Kai or Feather might be the solution...

When I need to Blade it up I use Nacet or Feather (only in Feather razors for me)

And of course skin streching!!
 
Last edited:

Project2571

Well-Known Member
My suggestion. Check carefully how you flip or rotate your head when shaving different parts and especially what is your skin tightening technique on each part. Your head movements tightening skin different ways and in ATG with hands skin tightening pressure must vary and follow stubble. Razor agressiveness could be anything if you adjust those two different ways and make all fit. As you know WTG presses hair down and ATG lift hair up anyway and if flipping head back + tightening skin with hands that combination might be too much, no matter that you use mild razor. Mild razor makes your motoric skills to tighten harder.
 

RiverMan

Forum GOD!
Well, my GC84 arrived on Monday and I’ve used it three times so far.

I said earlier in the thread that spending more money on another razor was the last resort but in this case it really seems to have done the trick. I’m at the point when really I need to get as close as possible on my neck in one wtg pass plus some very light touch ups otherwise I risk irritation and the GC gets me to what I’d consider to be ‘DFS’ with that routine.

so it has worked, thank you all for the suggestions. And I’m really quite impressed with the razor. It’s the most blade feel I’ve had from a razor but it’s very intuitive.

the alternative is a sharp blade in the mamba (my preference for a sharp blade is a personna med prep) and a very light atg pass as I mentioned above but that isn’t quite as good.

I will hang on to the mamba I think. If nothing else I think it would be a good razor for my son to use when he’s ready (he’s only four so there is a while to go yet!)
 
Top