Gaba Oolong
Black Tea Selection
Green Tea Selection
Chai Team Selection

Hope I find something I like.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I have a couple of these on the go ...

... which fit perfectly into my favourite cup. Curiously, it's an IKEA glass cup. I have the same shape in porcelain for coffee.

My preference with tea is to over-heap. I put in two or three teaspoons of tea into the strainer and so the first steep might be only a matter of seconds. Some folks prefer the opposite, which is less tea and a longer steep but throw away then. I like second, third and subsequent steeps as the character of the tea can change a lot through numerous steeps - this is especially so of oolongs. As the flavour lightens, I might add in some herbs or florals which makes for a good pre-sleep tea.

slapo

It's... alive!

... which fit perfectly into my favourite cup. Curiously, it's an IKEA glass cup. I have the same shape in porcelain for coffee.

My preference with tea is to over-heap. I put in two or three teaspoons of tea into the strainer and so the first steep might be only a matter of seconds. Some folks prefer the opposite, which is less tea and a longer steep but throw away then. I like second, third and subsequent steeps as the character of the tea can change a lot through numerous steeps - this is especially so of oolongs. As the flavour lightens, I might add in some herbs or florals which makes for a good pre-sleep tea.
Does that infuser have a fine mesh around the perforated steel walls?
I can't quite tell from the photos - in some, it looks like it might be the case, not so in others on the website.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I see a purchase of hibiscus above, along with some other herbs and roots ...

Something I do (particularly with those red fruit and hibiscus tisanes) is to get a 2L bottle of fizzy water, enjoy a couple of glasses and then top up with a generous heap of red fruit tisane (hibiscus, dried fruits, herbs and roots will do fine). Just the few pieces of dried fruit add a sweetness that counterpoints the hibiscus well, but tastes are all different so top up with a little lemonade or cream soda, maybe.

Let is steep (cold brew) for a day or so ...

Enjoy as a refreshing alternative to wine with a meal. In fact, I'm enjoying such a glass right now with a good splash of cream soda in the top while I wait for my lunchtime Chicken Madras to cook.

Yeah, it's not tea, but it's still leaves that you steep in water.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Does that infuser have a fine mesh around the perforated steel walls?
I can't quite tell from the photos - in some, it looks like it might be the case, not so in others on the website.
No - it a ring of metal with holes in it. No need for a fine mesh with tea. If you're concerned about sediment, you can wash the tea first - this is recommended with fine tea.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Finally ordered:
Gaba Oolong
Black Tea Selection
Green Tea Selection
Chai Team Selection

Hope I find something I like.
Excellent. (He says based on zero knowledge)
There's just no way of knowing until you try something is there?

Like trying to pick a razor having never wet shaved.

slapo

It's... alive!
No - it a ring of metal with holes in it. No need for a fine mesh with tea. If you're concerned about sediment, you can wash the tea first - this is recommended with fine tea.
The ones I have do have a mesh and have been able to get away without giving the tea a wash or a sift so far with only a negligible amount of sediment getting through. I found no ill effect on the flavour of the teas I have, either, although I didn't compare them with the meshless one I used to have more than once or twice.

slapo

It's... alive!
There's just no way of knowing until you try something is there?
Like trying to pick a razor having never wet shaved.
I find the descriptions don't help much beyond giving a pretty vague idea of the ballpark the tea might have, either.
Kind of like describing a tea that's overpoweringly bitter as having a "deep flavour with a hint of fruity notes". Or maybe I'm not enough of a connoisseur of bitter teas. 🤷‍♂️

Grarea

Forum Plod

Excellent.
Duly noted.
Yes, a mate of mine likes the early flavour of normal tea, I prefer the later. (This is just teabags I am talking)

So you leave them to just sit and soak after your first cuppa and put fresh water in for another cup later on?

Someone was telling me the same with ummmm rooibos I think it was.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I see a purchase of hibiscus above, along with some other herbs and roots ...

Something I do (particularly with those red fruit and hibiscus tisanes) is to get a 2L bottle of fizzy water, enjoy a couple of glasses and then top up with a generous heap of red fruit tisane (hibiscus, dried fruits, herbs and roots will do fine). Just the few pieces of dried fruit add a sweetness that counterpoints the hibiscus well, but tastes are all different so top up with a little lemonade or cream soda, maybe.

Let is steep (cold brew) for a day or so ...

Enjoy as a refreshing alternative to wine with a meal. In fact, I'm enjoying such a glass right now with a good splash of cream soda in the top while I wait for my lunchtime Chicken Madras to cook.

Yeah, it's not tea, but it's still leaves that you steep in water.
Nice.
I have played and left ginger and lemon rind to steep before for a day or two. A nice addition to a glass of water.
I am looking forward to playing more like that as well.
I guess all fruity things make a good 'squadh' if left overnight. Yum.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Excellent.
Duly noted.
Yes, a mate of mine likes the early flavour of normal tea, I prefer the later. (This is just teabags I am talking)

So you leave them to just sit and soak after your first cuppa and put fresh water in for another cup later on?

Someone was telling me the same with ummmm rooibos I think it was.
Yep ... place the strainer in your cup, add tea, pour in water and leave for a short while. Remove the strainer and sit it on its little lid (included). Enjoy your tea. Repeat as many times as you're getting flavour and/or enjoyment before discarding the leaves.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
First cuppa... Hmm, on the fence... I get a hit of honey, which is quite pleasent, but then there is a bitter note that I'm not keen on... Over brewed? Was 3-4mins as advised on the pack.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Good start!

Unpleasant bitterness comes from either over-brewing or using water at too high a temperature. Generally, black tea like a rolling boil, oolong just before boiling, green and white less than 90°, some down to 70°! I say "unpleasant" since tea is bitter - expecially black tea, hence adding something fatty, like milk.

Remember above, I said you can either go less tea and longer brew time or more tea and less brew time. I prefer the latter. Since you @Rowlers have a ball sieve, you'll be using the former model - less leaves and longer brew time. Large, wide-open infusers can go with lots of tea and little more than a few seconds quick dunk per brew.

It also might just be your tastes getting used to it (tea is bitter, remember), for which, yes, a little honey is great. Farrer's don't say what tea goes into their blend, but it's a black tea with "great astringency and briskness" ... which means pleasant bitterness.