Synthetic brushes - a long-term review

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
For context - other than the three in this long-term review, I have experience of the following synthetic brushes: Kent Infinity Mühle STF v1 and v2, Omega S-Brush and Hi-Brush, Simpson Synthetic and The Body Shop. I have found the Plisson Fiber to be superior to all of the above but have not used any of the 'Plissoft' variations.

I have pushed against it, but I'm coming to believe that synthetic knots provide the most effective performance of any type of knot. That's not to say that I've gone all in yet. I still retain a marvellous Thäter 2 Band and a Maseto Shaving Finest that could well be the best value brush in production. However, the Plisson has been my Go To for a couple of years now for very good reasons.

I purchased the Plisson a couple of years after trying earlier 'Generation', to quote GDCarrington, brushes from The Body Shop, Omega, and Mühle STF v1. The Mühle STF v1 was the first synthetic that I really found to be a contender. I had a dinky 19mm brush that splayed relatively well but was a tad scritchy. I actually found it to be a better brush than the 21mm, 23mm and 25mm Mühle v2s that I tried subsequently. Here's one:

These were invariable softer than the v1 but were 'springy'; i.e. they didn't spray as you would expect a shaving brush to. The Plisson, however, does. Not only are the tips softer than any silvertip (and I include Thäter 3 Band and Kent BK8/12) that I've tried, the knot does mimic a natural bristle in the way it splays. Granted, you are aware that this is not a high end badger due to the lack of je ne sais quois... soul perhaps? But I love it for face-lathering and bowl-lathering alike because it's gentle on the face, generous in releasing lather, and practical for home and travel. Another objection to synthetic brushes is that they don't retain water properly. I currently find the Plisson better in this regard than any other synthetic but, yes, I still understand the criticism.

My sole complaint is that my La Maison du Barbier acetate handle isn't the best. I love the handle but the material scratches easily and lacks pizzazz. I haven't been particularly interested in the me too brushes from RazoRock, PAA, Fine etc that use comparable (the same?) 'Plissoft' fibres. The discernible differences are knot:loft dimensions, glue bumps and handle choices. They're all sources from China after all... although I read that the imitators are inferior due to sloppy glue bumps etc. Either way, despite the small base circumference, the loft of the Plisson means that it works well for my preferences. As a result, until 2017, the only synthetic brush I've been interested in is an upgraded handle.

However, within the last year, APShaveCo and Wolf Whiskers have been making waves with the Tuxedo and Black Wolf knots. These are meant to exhibit greater backbone than the Plissoft variations with a claimed greater density. The contrast from black shaft to white tips is striking and, I would guess, intended to mirror Two Band badgers. In truth, they look like my wife's makeup brushes... but that's fine by me. APShaveCo's Cashmere has been subject to considerably less hype. Compared to the Tuxedo, it's meant to exhibit more softness at the expense of backbone. The Wolf Whiskers would be wonderful - seemingly a fan-shaped complement to the Tuxedo's hybrid-bulb - but I suppose I'll try to get in on that if all goes well with the latter.

So, here we go. I decided to buy two pre-made brushes from APShaveCo last week - a Tuxedo (left) and a Cashmere (right). They arrived within six days for £25.75 each - including delivery from Canada to the UK. Upon arrival, both have been washed in shampoo soap and combed through. Alarmingly for a synthetic brush, the Tuxedo lost about ten hairs in this process but Andrew, the proprietor, suggests that this is to be expected. The Cashmere knot didn't shed at all.

My hope is to update this thread every couple of shaves to provide my reflections on these brushes. I hope that they will provide a vaguely interesting read - if not any useful insight - to those who stay with me!

halvor

a most elusive fish
Certainly off to a good start; I'll stay with you - with keen interest. Especially since synthetics are so alien to me. Granted, my experience is limited to a Muhle STF from early 2015 (1st or 2nd gen?) and more recently a Tuxedo. Neither, I'm sorry to say, does it for me. They most certainly lack that je ne sais quoi, but more importantly, I just can't get them to lather decently and in so "rich" a way as do badgers.

Last edited:

isendono

Forum GOD!
Alarmingly for a synthetic brush, the Tuxedo lost about ten hairs in this process but Andrew, the proprietor, suggests that this is to be expected. The Cashmere knot didn't shed at all.
my razorock plissoft 24mm lost about 10-15 hair in the first week as well, then it stopped.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Certainly off to a good start; I'll stay with you - with keen interest. Especially since synthetics are so alien to me. Granted, my experience is limited to a Muhle STF from early 2015 (1st or 2nd gen?) and more recently a Tuxedo. Neither, I'm sorry to say, does it for me. They most certainly lack that je ne sais quoi, but more importantly, I just can't get them to lather decently and in so "rich" a way as do a badger.
I have to agree. Whilst I like my medium Muhle v 1 it won't replace my badgers or my boars. I particularly like it for travelling because it dries very quickly and works well with my Tabac soap stick. At home, however, I use shaving cream almost exclusively and I find it to be alright, but not a match for my badgers when it comes to face lathering; it just doesn't splay as easily or as much as the badgers. My other two synthetics, a Kent and a Simpson Case 1, just don't make the grade at all unfortunately.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
For context - other than the three in this long-term review, I have experience of the following synthetic brushes: Kent Infinity Mühle STF v1 and v2, Omega S-Brush and Hi-Brush, Simpson Synthetic and The Body Shop. I have found the Plisson Fiber to be superior to all of the above but have not used any of the 'Plissoft' variations.

I have pushed against it, but I'm coming to believe that synthetic knots provide the most effective performance of any type of knot. That's not to say that I've gone all in yet. I still retain a marvellous Thäter 2 Band and a Maseto Shaving Finest that could well be the best value brush in production. However, the Plisson has been my Go To for a couple of years now for very good reasons.

I purchased the Plisson a couple of years after trying earlier 'Generation', to quote GDCarrington, brushes from The Body Shop, Omega, and Mühle STF v1. The Mühle STF v1 was the first synthetic that I really found to be a contender. I had a dinky 19mm brush that splayed relatively well but was a tad scritchy. I actually found it to be a better brush than the 21mm, 23mm and 25mm Mühle v2s that I tried subsequently. Here's one:

These were invariable softer than the v1 but were 'springy'; i.e. they didn't spray as you would expect a shaving brush to. The Plisson, however, does. Not only are the tips softer than any silvertip (and I include Thäter 3 Band and Kent BK8/12) that I've tried, the knot does mimic a natural bristle in the way it splays. Granted, you are aware that this is not a high end badger due to the lack of je ne sais quois... soul perhaps? But I love it for face-lathering and bowl-lathering alike because it's gentle on the face, generous in releasing lather, and practical for home and travel. Another objection to synthetic brushes is that they don't retain water properly. I currently find the Plisson better in this regard than any other synthetic but, yes, I still understand the criticism.

My sole complaint is that my La Maison du Barbier acetate handle isn't the best. I love the handle but the material scratches easily and lacks pizzazz. I haven't been particularly interested in the me too brushes from RazoRock, PAA, Fine etc that use comparable (the same?) 'Plissoft' fibres. The discernible differences are knot:loft dimensions, glue bumps and handle choices. They're all sources from China after all... although I read that the imitators are inferior due to sloppy glue bumps etc. Either way, despite the small base circumference, the loft of the Plisson means that it works well for my preferences. As a result, until 2017, the only synthetic brush I've been interested in is an upgraded handle.

However, within the last year, APShaveCo and Wolf Whiskers have been making waves with the Tuxedo and Black Wolf knots. These are meant to exhibit greater backbone than the Plissoft variations with a claimed greater density. The contrast from black shaft to white tips is striking and, I would guess, intended to mirror Two Band badgers. In truth, they look like my wife's makeup brushes... but that's fine by me. APShaveCo's Cashmere has been subject to considerably less hype. Compared to the Tuxedo, it's meant to exhibit more softness at the expense of backbone. The Wolf Whiskers would be wonderful - seemingly a fan-shaped complement to the Tuxedo's hybrid-bulb - but I suppose I'll try to get in on that if all goes well with the latter.

So, here we go. I decided to buy two pre-made brushes from APShaveCo last week - a Tuxedo (left) and a Cashmere (right). They arrived within six days for £25.75 each - including delivery from Canada to the UK. Upon arrival, both have been washed in shampoo soap and combed through. Alarmingly for a synthetic brush, the Tuxedo lost about ten hairs in this process but Andrew, the proprietor, suggests that this is to be expected. The Cashmere knot didn't shed at all.

My hope is to update this thread every couple of shaves to provide my reflections on these brushes. I hope that they will provide a vaguely interesting read - if not any useful insight - to those who stay with me!
How does the cashmere feel compared to the tuxedo?

D_SM

Über Member
Without having experience of either brush in real use yet - softer, more yielding, less backbone.
+1I have both and would have to agree the cashmere knot is noticeably softer.

The tuxedo however is a very nice brush fibre. For me it holds water better than the plisson type fibres and releases water in more controlled way.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
After my first cheap Wilkinson sword boar brush I've only ever used synthetic. The muhle is great as is my maggards brush which I believe is a plissoft type knot. After hearing good things I hope to try a tuxedo at some point.

morr

Forum GOD!
When compared, the Tuxedo is in another league than my other synthetics. In feel, it falls right between badgers and Plissoft, taking the best from each one. I doubt one could improve synthetics beyond the Tuxedo.

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Without having experience of either brush in real use yet - softer, more yielding, less backbone.
Wondering if setting the cashmere deeper like a stubby will give more backbone. I had my tuxedo set 5mm deeper in my cadman and its got some lovely backbone. With the caveat of loosing loft and therefore splay area being reduced. I have 2 tuxedos, the 24 set deep and a 30 set at just bellow the knot to give me max splay

halvor

a most elusive fish
Wondering if setting the cashmere deeper like a stubby will give more backbone. I had my tuxedo set 5mm deeper in my cadman and its got some lovely backbone. With the caveat of loosing loft and therefore splay area being reduced. I have 2 tuxedos, the 24 set deep and a 30 set at just bellow the knot to give me max splay
Which loft have you got on your 24, Mem?

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
If the Tuxedo mimics a Two Band badger, the Cashmere resembles a high-lofted, undyed boar brush. From a distance, it could be an Omega S-Brush but - actually - it's poles apart. Dry, the fibre is cloud soft and flexes like a Plisson. In fact, if you're somebody who finds the Plisson to be floppy, you probably won't like the Cashmere knot. The wavy fibres are different to the Plisson, and I suspect that it's more densely packed, but I'm not expecting much backbone.

This is set in one of APShavingCo's stock handles. I like the contrast of the fibre with the deep blue but the shape isn't quite to my taste and it's moulded rather than turned. My thinking was that the knot will have been set to the depth that APShaveCo see as optimal.

First shave later.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Tuxedo is the only synthetic knot I have in my den, quite like it for a quick shave. Badgers do give me something more. Sold a Plisson synthetic, it was nice but the fibres felt springy as opposed to spongy.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Shave #1 was an interesting one! I underestimated the softness of the soap and started with too dry a brush, results in that weird clumping clagginess that soft brushes can exhibit when smothered in concentrated soap lather. A few visits to the tap soon fixed that and we were away. I ought to note at this point that, as a cold water shaver, I can't say anything about the heat retention properties of the knot.

After my usual two pass and touch-up routine, I rinsed before reapplying another thick layer of lather. The initial take aways are that it:
  • holds a lot of lather - sufficient for four passes
  • did not dump water
  • feels very soft with some backbone
If the Tuxedo promises to be a different beast, I look forward to a proper shoot out with the Plisson Fiber. Or might they be different enough to cohabit?