SOTD: Saturday 18 February - Friday 24 February 2023

Tonyschin

Pogonotomist
19/02/23
Pre - Shower
Brush - Simpson Commodore X1 Best Badger
Soap - Martin De Cadre Fougère
Razor - Blackland Sabre L1
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Lime Balm
A/S - Martine De Cadre Limette EDC
Wk 08 (2).JPG

A new Artisan soap to me in the MDC, i chose the small X1 Best for the 1st use as the jar is brimmed to the top so a larger knot would just overhang. I completed about 12-15 swirls just say coating the bristle ends and set about face lathering. I find it has a very nice citrusy scent, light and fresh, not overpowering. It takes a lot of water, dipping and working it on the fizzog produced plenty of nicely scented, slick, creamy lather, by the end of the 1st lathering the brush was struggling to hold the lather in the brush.
From the 1st few strokes i noticed this blade was going, still sharp enough, however, i knew it would be relegated to the window scraper jar after the shave.
2nd pass lathering, i spread what was in the knot evenly around the face and started again to dip and lather, it went again, producing another lovely covering. the scent still there after this rinse off and check, as i thought, the blade is not shaving as sweetly as it should.
Not to worry, the L1 is a very tame and efficient beastie and you can complete 3 passes in comfort with it.
I had enough lather left in this little knot to complete the 3rd pass without revisiting the jar.
Job done, comfortably BBS from 3.
I did notice though that the soap had left a film on the razor during the clean up - Hmmm, is this a thing? that is a pet hate of mine.
I finished with a rub of Barts balm and a nice splash of the MDC Limette, now then, this stuff is nice.
Both will stay in the den for now, i do need use it more to have a better opinion
I am happy with the MDC so far, not "Miles" better than any other "Artisan" but at least on par with my favourites:-
Now then do i need the Rose and Argumes?
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.
 

Pudzee

Forum GOD!
19/02/23
Pre - Shower
Brush - Simpson Commodore X1 Best Badger
Soap - Martin De Cadre Fougère
Razor - Blackland Sabre L1
Blade - GEM PTFE S/S
Post - Cold water Rinse
Balm - Barts Balm Lime Balm
A/S - Martine De Cadre Limette EDC
View attachment 128947
A new Artisan soap to me in the MDC, i chose the small X1 Best for the 1st use as the jar is brimmed to the top so a larger knot would just overhang. I completed about 12-15 swirls just say coating the bristle ends and set about face lathering. I find it has a very nice citrusy scent, light and fresh, not overpowering. It takes a lot of water, dipping and working it on the fizzog produced plenty of nicely scented, slick, creamy lather, by the end of the 1st lathering the brush was struggling to hold the lather in the brush.
From the 1st few strokes i noticed this blade was going, still sharp enough, however, i knew it would be relegated to the window scraper jar after the shave.
2nd pass lathering, i spread what was in the knot evenly around the face and started again to dip and lather, it went again, producing another lovely covering. the scent still there after this rinse off and check, as i thought, the blade is not shaving as sweetly as it should.
Not to worry, the L1 is a very tame and efficient beastie and you can complete 3 passes in comfort with it.
I had enough lather left in this little knot to complete the 3rd pass without revisiting the jar.
Job done, comfortably BBS from 3.
I did notice though that the soap had left a film on the razor during the clean up - Hmmm, is this a thing? that is a pet hate of mine.
I finished with a rub of Barts balm and a nice splash of the MDC Limette, now then, this stuff is nice.
Both will stay in the den for now, i do need use it more to have a better opinion
I am happy with the MDC so far, not "Miles" better than any other "Artisan" but at least on par with my favourites:-
Now then do i need the Rose and Argumes?
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.
Beautiful looking Razor you have there. Looks stunning 😍
 

Paul L

Forum GOD!
Sunday 19th February

Soap • Mitchells Wool Fat
Brush • Yaqi Moka Express 24mm Synthetic
Razor • Feather AC SS - ACS-NB
Blade • Kai Protouch MG (4)
Post • Floid Mentally Vigorous



I don't usually shave two days on the trot, but yesterday's shave with a Superspeed and a GSB that was past it's best has left regrowth a bit patchy. I really ought to not push those blades to four shaves - it's not as if they're expensive - more a case of laziness.

I'm really getting to grips with this AC shavette. My confidence is growing and I'm getting consistently irritation free, and more importantly cut free shaves. This has surprised me really, as I thought I would never get there (given my early experience with the Univinlions, Kai copy shavette)
I haven't tried using my left (non-dominant) hand yet, as I'm still learning so to speak.

Today was a rather sad day for me. I said farewell to my 40 year fishkeeping hobby.
In the last year or so, my interest in the hobby had been waiting and my heart wasn't really in it anymore.
I made a nice young man who works at my local ish store very happy by practically giving him a full set up. At least it's going to a proper hobbyist is what I'm telling myself while looking at a large blank space where my pride and joy was just a couple of hours ago. . . . . Of course, Mrs L already has some decorating and furniture re-jigging ideas afoot . . . . .
 

churchilllafemme

Forum GOD!
Sunday AM 2023-02-19
Birthdate in 1816 of Louis-Guillaume Perreaux (inventor of the first motorcycle, the steam velocipede)


Rooney Stubby 3 Porcelain Finest (26/54)
Penhaligon's Racquets Formula shaving cream (vintage)
Wolfman WR2-SB/Darwin Copper
Personna 74 Tungsten (8)
Penhaligon's Racquets Formula aftershave (vintage)
 

Kelt0i

Forum GOD!
SOTN (Head & Face)

DS Cosmetics DS S9 Razor head with Razorock handle (face)
Henson AL13++ (head)
Gillette Platinum
PAA Amber Aerolite
Noble Otter Hamami (soap & splash)
La Roche Posay B5 Balm

Second outing for the DS Cosmetics razor head, this time on a slighter shorter but a touch heavier Razorock handle. I've been genuinely impressed by the smoothness and efficiency of this razor head, makes me think I now need to revisit the DS D8 (GC .68 clone) to compare
PXL_20230219_185533300.jpg
the two.
 

LeeMaz

Forum GOD!
A25EF5F3-53FD-4C7C-8171-F6A84773EF35.jpeg

SOTD: 19/02/2023

Razor: Above The Tie SE1
Blade: Feather Pro Guard, (I think!), 1st use
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Aqua Highmountain Silvertip Badger
Bowl: 3D Printed Bowl
Preshave: PAA Cube Unscented Soap
Soap: HC&C White Star Southern Comfort Puck
Balm: Liz Earle Aftershave Balm Balm
Fragrance: William Hunt Oud De Parfum Eau de Toilette

The ATT has kindly been lent to me by @Jfett and came preloaded with a Feather Pro Guard I think? The quality of the razor is abundantly apparent just from picking it up, it’s solid and just the right weight in the hand. The knurling is perfect and feels just right, the balance is great, despite it feeling solid. I seem to have fallen head and shoulders into the AC razor rabbit hole recently and this may just be another I need to add to my collection. It was a great first impression of a shave and produced just a superbly smooth shave. My current top two AC razors, the Stando Rod and Shield Avenger look like they borrow a little from its head design but this definitely feels potentially like a case where the original model is still the best. I can’t wait to try it out a bit more but I’ve a very good feeling about this one!
 
Top