Soap noob

Hi!
Pretty new at this safety razor thing. Have been using shaving cream which has been working fine. I’m now interested to try soap instead.

I’ve been searching, looking at guide videos etc but can’t find an answer to this( maybe stupid) question: do you have the soap in one cup and lather up the foam in another one? Or do I only use one cup and make the foam on top of the soap?

Thanks in advance!

/Wild
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
The beauty of this hobby is that there's a bunch of ways to do things!

The main 'accepted' way of doing it is usually to load your brush with soap from whatever container the soap is in. So you'll load for, say, 30-60 seconds so you've got enough soap loaded off the puck just by wetting the tips lightly and running circles on top of the soap with the brush. You'll then take what you've loaded in the brush to your face or to a separate bowl where you continue to work the lather, adding water incrementally until you gert a nice slick lather.

You absolutely can load from the puck/mug and then continue building on the puck itself but the issue you may find is that you're just loading more and more soap into the brush, which might make it harder to hydrate the lather enough. So I'd generally recommend loading enough soap from the puck and then taking it to your face, which is what I do. You'll then agitate the soap on your face, adding water as you go. You can also dispense with the face lather and take it to a bowl, work up the lather there and then brush it on to your face and get to shaving.
 
Thanks for a quick reply!

if I want to try lathering up in the cup I just hold the soap in the hand, “fill” the brush and the move to the cup? (I only have one cup (yeah, yeah, I know the obvious answer here 😀))

How do you store the soap? I guess you want it to dry between shavings so it doesn’t get all dissolved laying wet?
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Thanks for a quick reply!

if I want to try lathering up in the cup I just hold the soap in the hand, “fill” the brush and the move to the cup? (I only have one cup (yeah, yeah, I know the obvious answer here 😀))

How do you store the soap? I guess you want it to dry between shavings so it doesn’t get all dissolved laying wet?
You can absolutely do that if you want to! If that's what you've got, go for it. The main point is to get enough soap loaded in the brush, it doesn't really matter how you accomplish that. It's easier if it's in a bowl or something that isn't going to slip out of your hand and go flying across the room, but I've lathered from some hard pucks before just with it sitting in my hand and then taken it to a cup or to my face.

As for storing, it depends what kind of soap it is. Is it a hard puck? Generally, what I do if I'm using a puck of soap like, say, Stirling (the green tubs that have a lid) is I'll finish the shave and leave the soap with the lid halfway off to dry for most of the day. I'll then put it away after that. As long as you give it some drying time you'll normally be absolutely fine.
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Great guides! I’m starting to think that I made a mistake ordering a soap without container….
What soap did you get? And you probably haven't made a mistake! There's no absolutely exact science to any of this. You're new and you'll probably have to experiment a little. As you become more familiar you'll see what works and what doesn't for you and adjust as you go.
 
Top