So the car hunting begins...

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
The Prelude is due its MOT next month and it will fail. The gearbox is shonky and as a result of these two things, it will be off somewhere. I've yet to decide the scrap heap or the local college as an educational tool for the mechanical students.

It's replacement WILL be RWD, it will be a saloon, and will be one of these three cars (in order of preference).

1) Jaguar XJ8
2) Mercedes E-Class
3) BMW 5 Series

Purchase will be later in September as my loan finishes and will free up the cash, time to play the Autotrader game! If you happen to come across any of the above, feel free to post links. If there is a great example of something not of those models, again feel free. Budget is max £5k for now.

wazza

a dog got personality
Cant wait to see what people come up with, I do love a good car hunt. Not looked as of yet though, just giddy :roflmao:

Dobbo25

Forum GOD!
The Prelude is due its MOT next month and it will fail. The gearbox is shonky and as a result of these two things, it will be off somewhere. I've yet to decide the scrap heap or the local college as an educational tool for the mechanical students.

It's replacement WILL be RWD, it will be a saloon, and will be one of these three cars (in order of preference).

1) Jaguar XJ8
2) Mercedes E-Class
3) BMW 5 Series

Purchase will be later in September as my loan finishes and will free up the cash, time to play the Autotrader game! If you happen to come across any of the above, feel free to post links. If there is a great example of something not of those models, again feel free. Budget is max £5k for now.

Ask Dipesh. He knows a thing or two about cars :)

Dipesh

Forum GOD!
Staff member
5 series no question.

XJ8, I've yet to see one that doesn't leak oil.

Merc is good but for your £5k budget, your looking at a rusty/poor gearbox era of E classes.

ben139

Forum GOD!
From experience, if anybody will ever have to sit in the back of the XJ8 for more than half hour, do them a favour and don't buy it!

Dipesh

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Shame to hear the Prelude won't pass it's MOT. What's up with it? Also what engine does it have?

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
Shame to hear the Prelude won't pass it's MOT. What's up with it? Also what engine does it have?
Where do I start :D

First, it's the 2.0 so not worth repairing. If it were the Type-S I'd consider it, but with a dodgy auto box (well documented issues), two CV joints needed, rear suspension needing replacing...it's more than the car is worth, so an economical decision more than anything :)

Dipesh

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Where do I start :D

First, it's the 2.0 so not worth repairing. If it were the Type-S I'd consider it, but with a dodgy auto box (well documented issues), two CV joints needed, rear suspension needing replacing...it's more than the car is worth, so an economical decision more than anything :)
That's a shame. I think you're doing the right thing though.

chrisbd

Forum GOD!
I don't know whether you have a preference for gearbox type but I've been advised by an E Class owning friend not go for Mercedes with manual boxes.

Merc manuals are clunky, VW autoboxes are crap. Received wisdom.

Regards,
Chris

Dipesh

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I don't know whether you have a preference for gearbox type but I've been advised by an E Class owning friend not go for Mercedes with manual boxes.

Merc manuals are clunky, VW autoboxes are crap. Received wisdom.

Regards,
Chris
This is true, but you do get used to the clunky feeling. If it's an auto, the super reliable 5 speed are great but it's these newer 7 speeds which are not so good. I'm unsure on how these new gearboxes are though.

Similar with VW group. The DSG box is brilliant but only certain ones I.e the 6 speed. I always avoid the cvt boxes too which are in bigger engined cars. Always trouble.

chrisbd

Forum GOD!
Never was an easier answer - 5 series. The most complete all rounder there is. It excels at everything.
+1, sums it up.

The friend I referred to previously actually owns a Merc S Class (my mistake), not an E Class, but also a BMW 5 Series. I have to say the BMW is impressive.

Regards,
Chris

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
5 series for sure, just don't take it to BMW for an MOT and service, unless thrown in for free, they are cheeky buggers!

Godfather

Forum GOD!
Can I throw Audi into the mix. I have had a few from a potential licence loser RS6 ABT to a number of allroads but also the standard A4 and A6 have done me proud.