Signature Soaps

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I received a couple of free samples of @Brianh Hybrid shave soaps. I have had one shave so far here are my thoughts.
Hybernia was the soap, it is a citrus scent which I would describe as medium in strength - i.e. very pleasant for me.
It is a soft soap, not a cream though.
As I'm traveling again, I didn't bring a bowl, so I simply swiped a little from the pot onto my face and proceeded to face lather with my current travel brush of choice, a Synbad on a Big Oak handle.
I kept adding water until I got what I thought was a good slick lather. And it was, but I think if I had a bowl I could have dialled it in more easily and quickly. And as Brian says it is a thirsty soap and it could have taken on more water, a lot more...
As it was it was slick and cushioned, residual slickness was decent, not the best but as I've already said this is my fault as I should have added more water - and I will do on the next shave.
Post shave was quite tacky and taut.

A very solid start and looking forward to the next go as I'm sure it will be even better.

Brianh

Forum GOD!
I received a couple of free samples of @Brianh Hybrid shave soaps. I have had one shave so far here are my thoughts.
Hybernia was the soap, it is a citrus scent which I would describe as medium in strength - i.e. very pleasant for me.
It is a soft soap, not a cream though.
As I'm traveling again, I didn't bring a bowl, so I simply swiped a little from the pot onto my face and proceeded to face lather with my current travel brush of choice, a Synbad on a Big Oak handle.
I kept adding water until I got what I thought was a good slick lather. And it was, but I think if I had a bowl I could have dialled it in more easily and quickly. And as Brian says it is a thirsty soap and it could have taken on more water, a lot more...
As it was it was slick and cushioned, residual slickness was decent, not the best but as I've already said this is my fault as I should have added more water - and I will do on the next shave.
Post shave was quite tacky and taut.

A very solid start and looking forward to the next go as I'm sure it will be even better.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ObgmL9-UIc8

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
I used mine for the first time today as well. I face lathered and it whipped up a nice thick lather easily that takes a lot of water. The scent was there, Sandalwood, Bergamot and Vetiver, not too strong just nice and pleasant.

The shave itself was nice and slick, didn't dry up at all and the freshly shaved patches were still slick enough to touch up without extra lather.

Very impressed with it's first outing.

20191104_163405.jpg
20191104_164844.jpg

MPH

Forum GOD!
I used mine last night.

I liked the scent (lime), and it was easy enough to lather, but seemed to take longer than most of my soaps to lather up.

I remembered reading that it takes lots of water so I kept adding more, and it kept taking in... Way more than I'd usually use. When I tried to use the lather it was however a little more airy than I am used to, which I attribute to over doing the water!

I still used the lather and it did a pretty good job. Not the best, but I need to dial this in before passing judgement. It certainly a bit different to most of my soaps and I am looking forward to playing with it more.

Brianh

Forum GOD!
I used mine for the first time today as well. I face lathered and it whipped up a nice thick lather easily that takes a lot of water. The scent was there, Sandalwood, Bergamot and Vetiver, not too strong just nice and pleasant.

The shave itself was nice and slick, didn't dry up at all and the freshly shaved patches were still slick enough to touch up without extra lather.

Very impressed with it's first outing.

View attachment 57435View attachment 57436
Glad you liked it
Regards Brian

Brianh

Forum GOD!
I used mine last night.

I liked the scent (lime), and it was easy enough to lather, but seemed to take longer than most of my soaps to lather up.

I remembered reading that it takes lots of water so I kept adding more, and it kept taking in... Way more than I'd usually use. When I tried to use the lather it was however a little more airy than I am used to, which I attribute to over doing the water!

I still used the lather and it did a pretty good job. Not the best, but I need to dial this in before passing judgement. It certainly a bit different to most of my soaps and I am looking forward to playing with it more.
Just try a bit less water
Let me know how you progress
Regards Brian

Reactions: MPH

Brianh

Forum GOD!
Today's efforts much better:

Loaded straight from the pot for 10 seconds or so, non of this Rudd's 10minute load business... Face lathered, gradually adding water. Great stuff. Why this soap is not more widely known is beyond me. To drawer stuff, nice one @Brianh
Thank you for your kind words.
Basically I only sold it at Farmers and Artisan Markets I exhibited at and on my website but hope to sell it to the wider market. I think it’s worthy of it
Regards Brian

honeywoodjohn

Forum GOD!
Thank you for your kind words.
Basically I only sold it at Farmers and Artisan Markets I exhibited at and on my website but hope to sell it to the wider market. I think it’s worthy of it
Regards Brian
It definitely is!! Have you tried chatting to some of the more established artisans?

bagman

Coffee drinker
Staff member
I’ve shaved with my sample 4 or 4 times now.
I’ve got the rose/geranium/lavender one.
I’m not too keen on the scent but the performance is excellent.

30 seconds of loading it produces enough lather to shave the whole family

Brianh

Forum GOD!
I’ve shaved with my sample 4 or 4 times now.
I’ve got the rose/geranium/lavender one.
I’m not too keen on the scent but the performance is excellent.

30 seconds of loading it produces enough lather to shave the whole family
Cheers
Fragrances are very personal of course, it was a luck dip I sent out. I’ve 13 essential oil fragranced hybrid shaving soaps, an unfragranced goats milik and an unfragranced version. I’m adding a couple of fragranced goats and a couple more fragranced versions of the hybrid. Any suggestions for the fragrances would be welcome
Regards Brian