Shavemac VLB 2018 LE

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
add me to the list. this sounds cool to me. also my avatar has a resin brad sears for Nishy to see. sorry only pic I have. all my wood are real though
Nice resin I do like wood and ivory. Will definitely speak to Bernd about options. First and most importantly the mechanism has to be spot on.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member

rawfox1

Forum GOD!
I just picked up the VLB prototype. I have to say black and ivory looks classy. I can see a few details that may need addressing, nothing serious, I will go into more detail later this evening. On lunch at the moment so here is a quick phone-car dashboard pic:
View attachment 33088
Looking good

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Yep it is a good start. The mechanism works well and without any glue bump feel at any height which is wonderful. My issue resides with the mechanism itself, it feels kind of cheap, in that no stopping parameters exist so if you turn the handle enough the knot will fall out. Also as you adjust height a gap exists/enlarges between the middle of the brush and base, this subsequently reduces that 'solid' handle feel. Made more apparent with the Barber style and I hold the base section of the brush when loading/lathering.

I must emphasise this is a prototype and I haven't taken it to water, so I need to properly explore the brush before making any rash comments.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Hi Nishy any idea of a time line about when they will be available to order and how long will it take to get into our hands

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I honestly don't have a clue. The brush needs to be completed to a high spec before I would even consider colours let alone a purchase link. I'm sure Bernd will feel the same way as it's an extension of his brand and Shavemac isn't known for half jobs :)

MPH

Forum GOD!
I just picked up the VLB prototype. I have to say black and ivory looks classy. I can see a few details that may need addressing, nothing serious, I will go into more detail later this evening. On lunch at the moment so here is a quick phone-car dashboard pic:
View attachment 33088
That looks lovely.

Some thoughts though.....
1) How loose is the twisting mechanism? I.e. Is it possible that it could twist whilst lathering, thus actually adjusting the height whilst in use?
2) is there anyway of knowing at what point in its "travel" you are at without getting out some calipers? I.e. You may at some point decide you prefer the loft at 3/4 extension, but can you tell where this is without measuring the loft? Does it have any markers to indicate this? I suspect this would be a real pain the engrave, but would seem useful.

Thanks again for you efforts @Nishy. This looks like its going to be a truly unique brush. :)

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Hi chaps. Yep @p.b will be doing a video tomorrow. @MPH Just shaved with the brush, will answer all your questions after dinner :) Taken lots of pics also have some opinions to share will be posting after dinner :)

Boru62

Shaving Boar
Also as you adjust height a gap exists/enlarges between the middle of the brush and base, this subsequently reduces that 'solid' handle feel.
The only way round this is to go back to the original mechanism, i.e. a solid handle with the twist adjustment running through it, which negates the barbershop design.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Ok I shall provide a more thorough review tomorrow with a bit for luck, including a video of the brush in action. In the meantime a short visual debriefing; note first use of the brush.
As a re.inder this is a standard Shavemac silvertip, 26mm fan.

VLB at 60mm (max loft):
IMG_20180726_195815.jpg

VLB at 46mm (shortest loft):
IMG_20180726_195850.jpg

Bodywork, note the notch at approx 8 o'clock, part of the mechanism.
IMG_20180726_200723.jpg

IMG_20180726_200709.jpg
knot can be removed beyond 60mm. I found this useful when cleaning and drying the brush post shave.
IMG_20180726_200703.jpg