Shave gel

Zorro

Forum GOD!
I used KOS Alpha Gel for quite a few years with my various Gillette Fusion Carts and i rated it - it feels more like a grease on your face than a soap, but it is very slippery and always made the Fusion glide across my face OK.

I still have half a tube in my travel bag, so will try a DE shave with it and see how it compares to my usual Palmolive Classic or the Proraso Sensitive cream i am using at the moment. My guess is that it will probably work fine, but will be an unimpressive and un-luxurious experience.

Its certainly better than the cheap aerosol foams, which just collapse as soon as they hit your face.

Vacumatic

Testy
I used KOS Alpha Gel for quite a few years with my various Gillette Fusion Carts and i rated it - it feels more like a grease on your face than a soap, but it is very slippery and always made the Fusion glide across my face OK.

I still have half a tube in my travel bag, so will try a DE shave with it and see how it compares to my usual Palmolive Classic or the Proraso Sensitive cream i am using at the moment. My guess is that it will probably work fine, but will be an unimpressive and un-luxurious experience.

Its certainly better than the cheap aerosol foams, which just collapse as soon as they hit your face.
Kensurfs did a review on YouTube and was very positive, it is streets ahead of other gels that I have tried and is worth trying. I have heard of people mixing the gel with a little regular shaving cream so that a thicker lather with all the KOS slickness is produced, basically, whatever works for you.

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
I won this gel in a tombola a while ago(!) and used it for the first time on holiday last week. With a plastic Wilko DE razor and a Big Ben blade (not my favourite) I managed a pretty decent shave.

Will leave it the travel bag for the future.

steve

2253DD31-D6D2-42B1-8404-4F478AF97E83.jpeg

TheBurgh

Loyal Order of The Overlander; Athena Afficianado
Noob here to GENUINE shaving.

One holdover from my Mach3 decades has been a can of Edge Gel (aka, glop). Frankly, I'm too thrifty to dispose of unused product. Have Creamo, Speick, Proraso, etc. creams waiting in the wings. No proper soaps yet, and hoping to find out why no one writes about "croaps." Seems to me that proper croaps, in theory, might be a good step between creams and soaps. Sissy soap?

Must say that two lathers with Edge and a synthetic brush in a two-pass shave have turned out well for me. (The Winning Razor and, so far, any blade.)
DFS + every time.

Vacumatic

Testy
You could mix the gel with a shaving cream such as Palmolive, mixed into a lidded container and dip either brush or a couple fingers into the mix and lather on your face.

Vacumatic

Testy
The last time that I used the KOS shave gel, along with the shaving oil was in the 1990s, I think I was just too heavy handed with the quantity at that time, applying it to my face by hand as a lubricant instead of a lather, my cartridge razor at the time also blocked easily with the stuff. I was gifted a couple of the refills earlier this week and have given it a try.

I am comparing the gel to my regular product, Palmolive shaving cream.

View attachment 113660

View attachment 113661

My method is to face lather only using a small amount of the product on the brush and lathering up on a washed and wet face, in each case only two grams of product were used, this is what just two grams of product looks like on a brush!

View attachment 113664

The hardware for each was naturally the same, a Gillette Tech, Dorco Prime blade and a very worn and very cheap synthetic brush, this brush was chosen because a good brush may have flattered a bad product

View attachment 113665

The shave with the cream was as good as usual, an opaque lather forming quite quickly and it gave a close and irritation free shave, the gel performed even better than the cream, the shave felt more lubricated and gave closer results after one pass.

The gel was in a refill sachet which I emptied into a ceramic lidded pot, I anticipate that I will get over 100 shaves, probably double the number of shaves that I have with the 100 ml Palmolive shave cream.

I pay £1.80 for the Palmolive cream at 100ml, the KOS gel refill is currently half price at Morrisons at under £2 for 200 ml, this is a time and quantity limited offer.

It may be worth pointing out that Palmolive is of course made with Palm oil and there may be an ethical issue in its use.

In conclusion I think the King of Shaves gel refill is a bargain at its current offer price and it performs extremely well.

For the record I would add that I have no affiliation or connection to Morrisons or the manufacturers.

This product has been sold out from the online sales at Morrisons

D

Deleted member 2936

Thought I would wait till after April fools day to mention that I'm really pleased with shave gel. Currently using Erasmic Aloe Vera shave gel.
To put it into perspective we are having our bathroom re-furbished so I am at my parents. In my haste all I picked up was a Miller strop and my Atlas straight razor. Despite having gone back home a couple of times, I keep forgetting to pick up some shaving soap, blades or brush. Yh I know stupid. But in the absence of the above- a little bit of shave gel, a strop and my straight razor, 1 pass no issues. 5 minute job. Happy days. No my account has not been hacked. I don't know what to say to my brushes on my return!

Anyone else using shave gels other than Gillette?
i do like the erasmic range, the shave gel is actually good

when it comes to value for money imho the erasmic range is hard to beat, only thing isim not sure how big savers is in the uk but im pretty sure theyre all over the bigger cities in the uk