Sensitive guy says hi

SensitiveGuy

Veteran
Hi, new member intro. Looking forward to getting to know the ins and outs of DE shaving, and meeting a few folks
Shaving History:
So after years of slicing myself to pieces with the Gillette Sensor Excel in my teens and twenties, I spent over a decade trimming my facial hair with an electric razor - not a full on shave as it irritated my skin too much (Braun 7570 for interest!?!)
I remember as a kid my dad really enjoying shaving so did a little research - the Internet is a marvellous thing - and found you could still buy DE razors!!!
After much reading on Amazon, I opted for a Merkur 38C Barber Pole (black handle).
What they actually sent me was a Merkur 20C and a cheap no name butterfly razor "for travelling" as they'd run out of stock! Long story short I kept both razors.
I enjoyed the shave of the butterfly razor more than the 20C (I'd also ordered a 20 variety pack of blades, and the Astra SS comes out on top ❤). The reasons for this - the handle was slightly longer on the butterfly, there was less drag when compared to the 20C which meant less irritation, I didn't seem to catch myself with the side of the blade on the tragus of my ears with the butterfly, and I ended up with less nicks / cuts with the butterfly as well.
All was fine until my 2yo son threw the razor across the bathroom on holiday, so now I'm left with the 20C and left feeling like there must be that illusive razor out there that will suit me (preferably without costing a fortune trying various types). My barber posted a link to this forum, so I thought I'd introduce myself
I also use a Simpson Super Badger T2
For 'lather' I'm currently using Wickham Soap Co. Super Smooth. It lathers really well, lifts the hairs etc, but seems to add to the drag the 20C gives, and leaves me feeling dry afterwards. I've previously used my wife's conditioner (no lather but glides really well - probably a sinful thing to say) and some Alpha E oil, which glided well, but was only good for one pass before 'dry shaving'.
For balm I use Sonya face serum.

So that's me. A newbie, probably with some issues (¡) and looking for guidance.
I think I need a mild razor to reduce the nicks that's also very efficient to minimise irritation with a long handle, but then I might be best with something like a vintage Gillette Rocket. Don't worry I'm gonna do some research before asking annoying questions!
 

Uncle Bertie

Forum GOD!
Welcome aboard. You might find that your butterfly razor is pretty easy to replace. There are a few modern butterfly razors easily available on ebay. Keep your search limited to new items. Buying vintage razors is fun but can easily get expensive. Have fun :)
 

wazza

a dog got personality
Hello and welcome to ATG. Just to echo acer, there are a lot of experience de users here, so you'll get some good advice.

As for a razor, look on ebay for a vintage Gillette, possibly a Super Speed TTO razor.
 

Redd

A Right Member
Good morning from an insensitive guy.

Don't restrict yourself to Rockets (yet). Pick up a regular Flair Tip Superspeed, which will set you back not a particular great deal and in my opinion will shave and provide a build quality better than that there modern stuff.

Oh yeah, buy some Tabac:notworthy:
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Nice intro @SensitiveGuy...
Don't be afraid to ask "silly" questions. We were all new once and we are here to offer as much advice as you need.
For a mild butterfly yo could do a lot worse than a Feather Popular at around £10. Also Rimei and Parker do some cheapo butterfly razors too..
There will be a soap PIF coming soon, so keep your eye out for that :okay:

Oh and Welcome!:blush:
 

SensitiveGuy

Veteran
Good morning from an insensitive guy.

Don't restrict yourself to Rockets (yet). Pick up a regular Flair Tip Superspeed, which will set you back not a particular great deal and in my opinion will shave and provide a build quality better than that there modern stuff.

Oh yeah, buy some Tabac:notworthy:
Is Tabac good for glidability / reduced friction?
 

SensitiveGuy

Veteran
Nice intro @SensitiveGuy...
Don't be afraid to ask "silly" questions. We were all new once and we are here to offer as much advice as you need.
For a mild butterfly yo could do a lot worse than a Feather Popular at around £10. Also Rimei and Parker do some cheapo butterfly razors too..
There will be a soap PIF coming soon, so keep your eye out for that :okay:

Oh and Welcome!:blush:
Thank you. Liking the price of the Feather Popular and even more so the Rimei (£2.81 shipped!!!!) I can afford to make a few wonky choices at that price Parker looks interesting, but scant detail on the website for handle length
Unfortunately I've just seen the Timeless SS ❤
How's that gonna feel as an upgrade
 
Top