Scalp Advise

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
I have tried loads of different things, so thought I'd get some collective wisdom from you guys.
For months, I keep getting spots, pimples etc mainly around the crown of my scalp, but occasionally around the hairline and side burns. Not loads but enough to p|ss me off, maybe 3 or so at anyone time.
Generally my scalp is itchy, no dandruff. I don't use conditioner, as it makes my hair all fluffy.

I've tried loads of different shampoos, shampoo bars and nothing seems to make a great deal of difference. I've given up using gel, pomade etc to see if that helps - it didn't really.
A variety of different natural shampoo bars I have tried:
Pine Tar shampoo
Coal Tar shampoo
Head and Shoulders Derma X Pro Shampoo and Serum
Neutrogena shampoo
Vosene
Nizoral
Plus probably a few others.

Has anyone else had a similar issue and can recommend something I could try?
Not a major issue in the grand scheme of things, but it would be nice to finally get it sorted!

Just a suggestion, Lee... you may or may not be allergic to SLS. (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) found in many shampoos. It is know to irritate the scalps of some people.

You could try a traditional Castile soap (normally based in coconut and other oils) and see how you get on with that? They are suitable for hair washing. Also Aleppo soap is another option. I've used both as I have quite dry skin and found them less drying and irritating than some modern shampoos..

Last edited:

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I use Selsun 2.5% and have done for years as occasionally needed. For some reason it disappeared from over the counter Pharmacies so I’ve had to buy online the last couple of times.

slapo

It's... alive!
Just a suggestion, Lee... you may or may not be allergic to SLS. (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) found in many shampoos. It is know to irritate the scalps of some people.

You could try a traditional Castile soap (normally based in coconut and other oils) and see how you get on with that? They are suitable for hair washing. Also Aleppo soap is another option. I've used both as I have quite dry skin and found them less drying and irritating than some modern shampoos..
I was about to suggest something similar.
Funky soaps have a newish line of solid shampoos and the amla one was decent for me so far.

Beware the fresh line, though - that one has some nasties in it.

I'm also thinking it could be food related or an allergy.

Last edited: