Razorock Gamechanger

vita

Mach 5 Turbo Fusion
I've settled on the Rockwell plate 4 for my daily shaves. Should I be going for the 0.84 GC? Is that close?

beardyweirdy

Forum GOD!
I know the usual advice for beginners is to start with something like a 34C or a DE89/R89 and then move on to something better, but I wanted a razor not made of zamak which is more efficient for my coarse dense beard that can also tackle 48hrs of stubble as I shave every other day. I'm happy to pay extra to get a more efficient razor made with better materials to get the best bang for my buck, and from what I have read online, at present the Razorock .84 GC represents this; i.e. at its current price point ($55USD), there is no other comparably efficient DE razor made from CNC-machined 316 SS with its tight tolerances.
Well, I think you might end up never buying another razor and saving a lot of money.
I started with the R89 8-9 years ago, wanted something more aggressive and then very forgiving razors. Finally I ended up using the medium R89 again: because it is a good workhorse that does its job much faster than very mild razors such as the Mamba but still is mild enough that you can apply some pressure wherever it is needed.

Recently I picked up a GC .84 and I'd say it is a slightly more efficient but smoother R89. Mission accomplished, plain and simple.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I've settled on the Rockwell plate 4 for my daily shaves. Should I be going for the 0.84 GC? Is that close?
I'm in the same position with the R4 plate. Trying to work out which GC, Karve, etc. plate would feel right for me

rawfox1

Forum GOD!
I'm in the same position with the R4 plate. Trying to work out which GC, Karve, etc. plate would feel right for me
Go for the .84. It is more efficient and still smooth. The .68 is to mild and not as efficient

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

owlman

Forum GOD!
I'm currently switching between the Mamba, .68 and .84 on a daily basis and have used the Rockwell 6C before. I'd say the .68 is comparable to the R4 plate (maybe R3.5?), while the .84 falls between the R5 and R6. The Mamba is a R1 or R2. I find the .84 to be rather aggressive; my face is noticeably irritated afterwards, definitely not a daily shaver for me.

Just from a standpoint of blade feel/aggressiveness, I'd sort some razors I've used in recent months (Rockwell 6C, RazoRock, Gillette, Edwin Jagger, Merkur, G+F Timor, Mühle, Maggard) thusly:

R1 - Mamba - R2 - Tech - DE89 - Timor CC - R3 - Rocca V1 - 34C - R4 - GC.68 - V3A - Timor OC - R5 - GC.84 - R6 - R41

(Some of those are closer together than others.)

Note: This is not intended as a verdict on efficiency/thoroughness, as that is way more dependent on how well you know the razor. Depending on technique, you can ultimately get more or less the same result with a Mamba as with a R41, the question is which road you are most comfortable travelling.

vita

Mach 5 Turbo Fusion
R1 - Mamba - R2 - Tech - DE89 - Timor CC - R3 - Rocca V1 - 34C - R4 - GC.68 - V3A - Timor OC - R5 - GC.84 - R6 - R41
This is great detail, thank you.

I'm currently thinking about picking up the Game Changer with both plates just to be sure, or maybe one of each size razor and sell the one I least prefer.

ronald

Well, I think you might end up never buying another razor and saving a lot of money.
I started with the R89 8-9 years ago, wanted something more aggressive and then very forgiving razors. Finally I ended up using the medium R89 again: because it is a good workhorse that does its job much faster than very mild razors such as the Mamba but still is mild enough that you can apply some pressure wherever it is needed.

Recently I picked up a GC .84 and I'd say it is a slightly more efficient but smoother R89. Mission accomplished, plain and simple.
Unfortunately, that's already gone out of the window as I ordered a Fatip piccolo:laugh:...and I told myself I wouldn't get RAD too

Good to know that the GC .84 seems to be smoother and more efficient than the R89 (and by extrapolation, the DE89).

Really useful aggressiveness scale, great post

Last edited:

sev-8

Forum GOD!
As vita said that's really useful, thanks. I actually haven't tried the R5 or R6 yet as the R4 feels good, but will be a bit more adventurous. Interestingly, I felt that the V3A was a lot more aggressive (i.e. left me feeling raw) compared to the R4 as the blade is a lot more exposed with my V3A head. As with everything, YMMV.

mfcarpino

Forum GOD!
The Game Changer is still my daily driver. I picked up my Furtur clone 1 day and used it for about half a shave but went right back to my GC 84P. I really don't have any interest in using anything else.

Dr Watson

James
Apparently Joe has commented on Twitter that we will see an open comb Game Changer sometime this year and possibly a 1.05mm base plate as well.

ronald

Apparently Joe has commented on Twitter that we will see an open comb Game Changer sometime this year and possibly a 1.05mm base plate as well.
RR.jpg

Hopefully they'll sell baseplates separately for those of us who already have a GC. A 1.05 with options for SB and OC would be amazing.

GoHabs

Forum GOD!
Just received my Gamechanger 0.84. A little disappointed with the finish and the handle/head connection is a little rough. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's shave.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
The Rocca is usually rated at or beyond R6. Is V1 different? Here's another post:

"On a ten point scale the R89 is as 4/5, the Rocca 7 and the R41 as a 9"

owlman

Forum GOD!
I don't know the V2 or V3 versions, but I do find the V1 quite comfortable to use. Granted, it has a narrower window than the R89 which you have to find first, and you do notice the blade more (mostly the sound, though), but it's not rough or unpleasant for me, and I don't feel like I have to be especially careful with it.

As usual, YMMV. Other people appear to see the Timor OC as being a rather mild razor, for example.