Public Service Announcement - Australian Private Reserve

Preacher

Über Member
Thanks for the heads-up. I was just looking at some APR stuff, but I think I'll pass. I don't care how good a product is I won't support a vendor who behaves this way. Too much other good stuff out there to patronize such a vendor.
 

Memhis

Forum GOD!
Quality stuff, IMO. And kind of hard to get in EU. So, I contacted the owner directly and tried to make a deal. Now, reading this, I am glad that he did not answer, saving me some time and nerves.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
That's shocking. He's selling a niche product to a small market, all of whom seem to occupy a small number of websites, word was very quickly going to get round pretty much his entire potential customer base about how shabbily he treats his customers.

What a total arse.
 

Oasisdave

Forum GOD!
Saw a statement that Tallow & Steel released on Instagram the other day which I presume was about this incedent. Was wondering who it was referring to, good to know.
 
I’ve dealt with Dan for a couple of years I think it is now. I’ve always paid him F&F as a personal transaction as his website isn’t set up for orders to ship here. He was doing me a favour by doing so, he didn’t need my business. My dealings have always been great, Dan has paid me for items F&F also that I’ve sent to Aus. I find Dan a great no nonesense bloke.
It’s difficult to accept that he’s deliberately trying or tried to rip someone off. I don’t have a dog in this fight but this isn’t a true reflection of Dan at all from my extensive dealings.
Only this Christmas, as he has before, he composed a forum special edition aftershave which was given out liberally free of charge to members of the forum. The two behaviours are in direct conflict.
Dan has also sent me 12g of Les Santals base (the frag base this thread is all about) free of charge to put in my own homemade soap. That is not a small gesture.
Like I said, I don’t have a dog in this fight but it needs saying that Dan is far from the spawn of Satan he’s being made out to be. Fire away, I’m sure the mob will. I won’t be back in the thread.
 
I’ve dealt with Dan for a couple of years I think it is now. I’ve always paid him F&F as a personal transaction as his website isn’t set up for orders to ship here. He was doing me a favour by doing so, he didn’t need my business. My dealings have always been great, Dan has paid me for items F&F also that I’ve sent to Aus. I find Dan a great no nonesense bloke.
It’s difficult to accept that he’s deliberately trying or tried to rip someone off. I don’t have a dog in this fight but this isn’t a true reflection of Dan at all from my extensive dealings.
Only this Christmas, as he has before, he composed a forum special edition aftershave which was given out liberally free of charge to members of the forum. The two behaviours are in direct conflict.
Dan has also sent me 12g of Les Santals base (the frag base this thread is all about) free of charge to put in my own homemade soap. That is not a small gesture.
Like I said, I don’t have a dog in this fight but it needs saying that Dan is far from the spawn of Satan he’s being made out to be. Fire away, I’m sure the mob will. I won’t be back in the thread.
Did you read his responses at the TSN thread??
 

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
Did you read his responses at the TSN thread??
He doesn't have to, Chris, and he won't.

Seems he has personal experience that left him with very positive feelings in all dealings he has had with the subject artisan. And that's important because Steve is not your average buyer out there, if you know what I mean. He possesses an exquisite taste and a very different product selection and acquisition philosophy; in addition he just doesn't bs and/or even talk diplomatically in anything he writes.

Point is that yourself (and Yuri, may I add) did the right thing in making us aware. This is my opinion.
Fellow members across the boards worldwide need to be aware of such incidents.

From a small irritation the artisan let his attitude and temper make this a much bigger case. Even at that point he could still perhaps manage the issue behind the scenes with firefighting actions, as we all try to do when we have 'hot potato' quality cases in our hands. However, from the moment you went public and he tried to participate with such an astonishing tone, the avalanche was inevitable.

Absolutely unacceptable public behaviour from a service provider. This was a very big mistake from his end, and be sure he already knows it. It takes years to build a reputation but minutes to destroy it. The 'nervosa' case will forever haunt him. I am sure there are other wet shavers who have been happy with him in the past, and perhaps rightfully, but you just can't improve your market positioning if you act in the way he did recently over at TSN.

Attitude in life is everything, period.
 

ronald

Senior Member
I'll be honest, I do make a lot of my wetshaving buying decisions based on what I read online, and this thread, alongside the TSN thread with Dan's ridiculous responses have firmly convinced me never to buy any APR product. Of course I take things with a pinch of salt too, but when an artisan threatens to contact a customer's workplace to badmouth him, that clearly crosses a line and tells me all that I need to know about APR
 
Top