Proper floral aftershave?

halvor

a most elusive fish
Just had a shave with Manuel’s Dama de Noche. It’s floral, obviously, but not in a rosy way. Dama de Noche is also known as night blooming jasmine. Less sweet, and with a little green. Any suggestions for aftershaves of a floral nature?

Today I used Pitralon Original, floral indeed but leaning more toward fruit (banana, in fact) and somewhat musky.
 

Gordy

Legendary Member
Does Manuel's balm not interest you Halvor? The skincare component is phenomenol and the scent hangs around quite some time. I love my aftershaves though, only balms I can use are Manuel's and Wickham's.
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
I like the texture of Manuel’s balms, but I get a slight irritation from the one I have (Tierra Humeda). I don’t know if it’s the scent ingredients or any of the other ingredients, though. The matching soap is fine, which leads me to believe it’s the balm itself. I may ask Manuel for a sample of another just to check.
 
I like the Alpa Aftershave/Colognes..and they have a few floral offerings such as "Lily of the Valley" "Violet" and " Carnation" . I have not used them for a while but I remember they were rather pleasant smelling and efficacious.
 

Gordy

Legendary Member
In terms of skincare, Floid, Myrsol and Pitralon are hard to beat. Just a shame that it seems it's very difficult to get the scent you want, matched with the skincare of a good aftershave.
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
Ah, yes, Myrsol has a Don Miguel, which is jasmine. Anyone tried it?

(Was thinking of pulling the trigger on one of the 400ml blue Floids, but the price is somewhat prohibitive given it’s discontinued. Not floral, mind.)

There’s always the trick of using an unscented balm or lotion and add proper fragrance directly or after.
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I wasn't a fan of Don Miguel. Formula C is more up my street.

My suggestion would be an unscented aftershave (funnily enough, Eufros Bálsamo is my favourite) and seek out a proper fragrance. The contradiction with scented aftershave products is that the concentration of fragrance required to give the scent longevity and sillage will likely cause irritation. In terms of floral perfumes that nod towards the masculine side of unisex, there are a few from Frederic Malle worth sampling.
 
Floid original and Pitralon are great..DR Harris "Pink" has a rose type scent (though pricey) and then there's Speick which I believe is lavender based (though I could be wrong) A trick I use is to add pure essential oils to my Witch hazel..if you get some floral oilsI can't see why it wouldn't work..I have tried more of the woody stuff and Mint/eucalyptus/camphor and that works well.
 

Gordy

Legendary Member
The Speick I have smells of not much really. If there's a Myrsol that's close, I'd always go for that. Don Miguel is one of only two I don't have, Emulsion being the other.
Have you thought about Witch Hazel, Thayers, Humphrey's, etc?
 
I like the Alpa Aftershave/Colognes..and they have a few floral offerings such as "Lily of the Valley" "Violet" and " Carnation" . I have not used them for a while but I remember they were rather pleasant smelling and efficacious.
Alpa Violet is just awesome. Pure Violet scent, nothing else. In the beginning of the 20th Century, Violet was a masculine scent used in Colognes and Parfumes. Alpa Violet comes in a 50ml small glass bottle. When it is empty you can still use it as aftershave bottle for travel.
 
Last edited:

halvor

a most elusive fish
Here’s one for the rest of you. Ridiculously low prices for Alpa colognes. Shipping to EU around 11 EUR. To Norway, no less than 999 EUR :eek: I’ll abstain.
6278B703-410F-4F82-942A-052C98C03DC3.png
 
Top