Poor Soap Lather ?

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
You are correct that something isn't right given how many different high end soaps and creams you've been using. I really think we need more information about your lather routine. Step by step. In explicit detail. Much like you see people describe in excruciating detail how they go through a typical shave. But for you just your lather building routine. Then maybe we can provide you with some reasonable suggestions to help you improve the quality of your lather. That said, if you think that you've done everything possible with your creams, soaps, brushes, water content, etc. then that suggests there is an issue with your water. Why not change the water you are using? Buy some bottled water and use that to work up a lather. If you still can't work up a decent lather then your technique needs some assistance. But you are in the right place to get that assistance. Don't give up yet.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Although I live in an area with soft water I have stayed in hard water areas and while the lather's not as good it's perfectly serviceable.

There's definitely something you're not doing correctly, if you can either post a video or explain in great detail exactly what it is that you're doing.

For example:
Soap: MdC
Brush: 30mm cashmere synthetic

- Dip brush into sink and sloosh thoroughly to soak.
- Shake most of the water out leaving brush damp.
- Swirl tips of brush onto dry soap for 10 seconds.*
- Dip very tips of brush into water and spread proto-lather onto face.
- Build lather with swirling motion on face, adding water by dipping tips as necessary until lather is glossy and has a yogurt-like consistency.

*With most soaps this would be nowhere near enough.

This approach works for me in soft water with that specific brush and soap, so don't take it as a blueprint for you to follow, but that's the knd of detail we're going to need. From your mention that the lather dries out and clogs your razor it's far, far too thick and dry. It sounds as though you're loading enough product but nowhere near enough water.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BJS

BJS

Actual Member
I have tried blooming the soap puks with warm water, for about 10 minutes, before trying to lather it.
I have tried a best badger brush, a synthetic brush, but the only one that seems to create any lather is a large boar brush. But no way can I get a lather that makes the brush look like an ice cream cone, I just get a little lather in the bottom of the bowl.
I think the suggestion about buying some bottled water makes a lot of sense, then I can rule the water in or out of the problem .
 

BJS

Actual Member
Although I live in an area with soft water I have stayed in hard water areas and while the lather's not as good it's perfectly serviceable.

There's definitely something you're not doing correctly, if you can either post a video or explain in great detail exactly what it is that you're doing.

For example:
Soap: MdC
Brush: 30mm cashmere synthetic

- Dip brush into sink and sloosh thoroughly to soak.
- Shake most of the water out leaving brush damp.
- Swirl tips of brush onto dry soap for 10 seconds.*
- Dip very tips of brush into water and spread proto-lather onto face.
- Build lather with swirling motion on face, adding water by dipping tips as necessary until lather is glossy and has a yogurt-like consistency.

*With most soaps this would be nowhere near enough.

This approach works for me in soft water with that specific brush and soap, so don't take it as a blueprint for you to follow, but that's the knd of detail we're going to need. From your mention that the lather dries out and clogs your razor it's far, far too thick and dry. It sounds as though you're loading enough product but nowhere near enough water.
I see, I get the picture. I will do that, I became so frustrated I haven't shaved in weeks, so I currently sporting a full beard.
So I'll dig the Trimmer out and clip it off and go through my prosedure and try and take photos, I don't have a video.
Thanks for all the advice .
 

Preacher

Über Member
I have tried
Cyril Slater, Wickham 1912, Simpsons, Dr Jon's, Chiseled Face, Valobra, Proraso, Arko, Floris of London, Gentlemens Face Care Club shaving cream. All are as bad as each other for me, I work and work and work them all to get any kind of foam, they are nothing like any of the foam shown in the show use your foam pics.
When I apply to the face and start shaving, by the time I get to the other side of my face, it has dried and just block the razor solid and I have to use a tooth brush to clean out the vent slots. I now apply the soap a quarter of the face at a time, but still not great and its not that I'm a slow shaver!
In fact I am now use the puks as hand soap, I have become so frustrated with them..
The fact that it is drying out before you get to the other side of your face suggest to me that you are not using enough water. As you lather, keep adding water in small amounts until your volume of lather increases.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BJS
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
With Cyril, Wickhams, I was able to get a lather without even try.

If you say that the soap is pasty on your face and clogs the sink then definitely you want more water. Beware, more water does not mean a bucket full of water on your soap, but dribblets of water as you building the lather. Start and insist with the synthetic at first.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BJS

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Hi Nishy, car problems have taken priority, the dam immobiliser is preventing the car from starting. I'm trying to find a way online to bypass it, no luck so far..
I'll come back at a later date on the lather issue .. Thanks.
Brian.
Fully understood, wish you luck with the car.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BJS

alwinvrm

Guru
What brush are you using? You have decent soaps and some boar brushes can eat all the lather when new. Badger can have their own thing but usually work. May I suggest a synthetic brush, they always make lather; at least one suspect for bad lather is under control then. If you want to go easy on spending you can go for a Kent synthetic or Muhle black fiber or when not in a hurry a Yaqui from China.
 

Grarea

Forum Plod
Another suggestion.Maybe i missed it?
Is there a super easy soap to lather?
I know wickhams is good.
But is there easier? Is perhaps Haslinger easier?
Just to get him going?
Maybe a cream?

I tend to lather for 30 seconds (just because I find myself enjoying it) and that is in a soft water area.
Should you load longer in hard water areas?

Also, has bowl lathering been suggested?
I face lather, but with a bowl you can be in more control of it right?
Add a bit more water here and there.
Maybe even measure the amount of water you put in for comparisons?
 

Dr Watson

James
I reckon my dear old mum could make a decent lather... There must be something wrong here as these are good products being used, first thing I would do is try different water (bottled is fine) - Something is killing your suds and as your water supply is different to most that is where I would start.
 

BJS

Actual Member
Update.
I tried to lather using bottled water and a synthetic brush.
Wow, what a difference, it whipped up a really nice creamy, shiny lather, in no time and made such a difference to the shave.
From now on, I will have a separate bowl of water on the side to make the lather and tap water in the sink to wash off and cleaning the brush and razor.
I will now experiment with different brushes and see how they effect my new lathering method.
Thanks for all your advice..

Brian.
 
Top