Poor relations of the shaving world

Wayne

Forum Sod
Is anyone else fed up of being the poor relations when it comes to shaving gear. Apart from a few notable exceptions, mainly soap makers, if we want something new and good then it seems our friends over the pond certainly get a better deal. All the best razors are US made or marketed and over here we are lucky to even get on the waiting list for many, let alone pay through the nose to get one.
When we buy we lose any advantage of differences in exchange rates and it usually comes out 1 dollar to 1 pound. When you do take advantage of any exchange rate and buy from the US the bloody customs and RM certainly make up for any savings made there. I think that has covered everything. This rant is sponsored by @Batch300 and the picture of his lovely new B&R Titanium finish adjustable which I am incredibly jealous of.
Rant over!
 

Len

Forum GOD!
Exchange rates fluctuate. Pound down now, up tomorrow. Dollar up now, down tomorrow. Another point on this; if the EU disintegrates, the pound will end up being the strongest currency in Europe.

As for gear, you guys don't just have soap, but Lee Sabini (M&F/Rooney) and Simpsons. A full half of my daily use shaving set up is British, and I'm an American!

Customs? Well, that's a political problem, and it affects a whole lot more than just shaving gear. Rather than protecting British industry, it only ends up punishing the British consumer. Speaking of, what happened to all the talk of trade deals with America and others in the wake of Brexit? I buy British products all the time, with zero taxes or customs charges. One would think Subjects of the Crown would at least be treated the same as those foreigners purchasing British goods without restrictions... At least you can buy a Wolfman (Canadian) without customs duties, if you can get on the list, and that list isn't any easier to get on as an American. I'd also suggest Italian Barber and other Canadian vendors to bypass certain duties.
 

vtmax

Forum GOD!
It works both ways. I'm over visiting my parents and sisters down in County Kerry and had Klar Kabinett and some other soaps delivered here. Much cheaper than mailing over to New England/Boston.

Also I think the 'grass is always greener' thinking hits all of us. I own one of the original Wolfman SB razors and, although I like it, for the shave itself it's highly overrated. I've been getting better shaves with the Fatip Testina Gentile. All brass perfectly designed DE.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I have learnt my lesson, this year when buying from abroad. I purchased an Asylum RX, faulty, a BB OC, scratched and a TR-2 (from Turkey), scratched. The last two in particular provided great service and replacements, only Shane at Blackland didn't charge any extra.

Soaps and brushes can be had from this side and are superb. I now wait for UK stockists, by that time the mist of hype clears and the razor can be easily judged.

I also don't like supporting vendors that operate for personal gains without offering freedom of speech. Protecting your investment is understandable but allow a community to grow, instead of a niche few, thus allowing greater clarity.
 
S

Steve Bowles

Guest
I'd love to get my hands on a Georgetown Pottery scuttle, but postage, customs, and Royal Mail ransom make it impossible. I'm going to Vancouver, B.C. next year and just maybe I can find a Wolfman on the open market. :watching:
 
S

Steve Bowles

Guest
Is anyone else fed up of being the poor relations when it comes to shaving gear. Apart from a few notable exceptions, mainly soap makers, if we want something new and good then it seems our friends over the pond certainly get a better deal. All the best razors are US made or marketed and over here we are lucky to even get on the waiting list for many, let alone pay through the nose to get one.
When we buy we lose any advantage of differences in exchange rates and it usually comes out 1 dollar to 1 pound. When you do take advantage of any exchange rate and buy from the US the bloody customs and RM certainly make up for any savings made there. I think that has covered everything. This rant is sponsored by @Batch300 and the picture of his lovely new B&R Titanium finish adjustable which I am incredibly jealous of.
Rant over!
The problem with competing with American shavers is that you have to wait until the products filter down through 325,000,000 Yanks before their cousins get their turn. At least Brits get European products far cheaper than across the pond.
 

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
I'd love to get my hands on a Georgetown Pottery scuttle, but postage, customs, and Royal Mail ransom make it impossible. I'm going to Vancouver, B.C. next year and just maybe I can find a Wolfman on the open market. :watching:
Too right about bowls and scuttles. There are some lovely ones from North America on Etsy, but, oh my, the cost of getting them here, and in one piece. I've had a couple made in the UK (Watergaw and another), and I also have 4 Woodhead productions, but I'm surprised there aren't more UK makers producing the beautifully-coloured articles available over there.
 

efsk

Forum GOD!
At least you can buy a Wolfman (Canadian) without customs duties, if you can get on the list, and that list isn't any easier to get on as an American. I'd also suggest Italian Barber and other Canadian vendors to bypass certain duties.
Ahem. I live in the rest of Europe and can assure you: Over here custom duties are not bypassed by purchasing Canadian.
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Apparently the US still has some precision machine shops (operations not moved off-shore). Seygus stopped aluminum razors because of the lack of a "finishing" vendor. Manufacturing capabilities (or lack there of) probably a factor.

I have a Paladin brush, box of Personna Med Preps blades (purchased at Connaught's) and one US deordant stick. Otherwise, my bathroom items resemble the United Nations.

@Wayne - always happy to help you !! You can thank me later.
 

bazemk1979

Veteran
You rant because you didn't got a chance to spend $300+ on a "super,uper,duper,titanium coated, extra strength, self adjustable no lube needed, always in mini skirt, super long legged" adjustable razor?

Wow it must suck being you successfully avoiding the damage of your bank account.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
You rant because you didn't got a chance to spend $300+ on a "super,uper,duper,titanium coated, extra strength, self adjustable no lube needed, always in mini skirt, super long legged" adjustable razor?

Wow it must suck being you successfully avoiding the damage of your bank account.
Yea, I feel the same way when a Roller fails to drain my bank account because I don't stand a chance at one. I must be some kind of lucky. :wink: Always at least two ways of looking at something.

Bob
 

Len

Forum GOD!
Ahem. I live in the rest of Europe and can assure you: Over here custom duties are not bypassed by purchasing Canadian.
Ahem... Please reread my post, because I do believe I made myself quite clear that I was speaking of Britain specifically, not the rest of Europe.

Nor in the U.K. based on my Wolfman purchase.
Really? What was the actual customs duty excluding VAT? Something along the lines of £5?

If you're talking about the VAT tax you had to pay to the Customs Office, you would have to pay that tax even if the Wolfman was made in the UK, which is really beyond the scope of the OP. And that is where the lion's share of your custom's fee went towards: VAT.

You want to know something interesting? If I make a larger purchase from Connaught's, as an example where free international shipping is included; I as an American, pay significantly less than the Brit making the same purchase, all because VAT is not included in my purchase cost.

In other words, Americans pay less for British goods than the British.
And that is the tax your elected representatives levied against it's own people. Nothing at all to do with international trade.
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
@Wayne in the initial post stated "our friends over the pond certainly get a better deal" as he referenced my new super-duper razor.
@Len agreed "In other words, Americans pay less for British goods than the British"
@Wayne also said
All the best razors are US made
Seems to me the three factors mentioned by Wayne: 1) Exchange rates 2) country taxes and duties 3) lack of local manufacturers. For razors, UK buyers are unfavorably hit by all 3 today. Then add in the difficulty to order and risk of defective products.
 
Top