Review OneBlade 2.0

slapo

It's... alive!
I can't believe so many members get great shaves from this razor. I've had two of these beautiful objects, yet the blade type always lets me down. No matter what angle I use, the blade tugs, tears, rips, and pulls at my beard. Nothing less than miserable. And I really love the razor, just hate the blade; also, I could never afford to use a new blade with every shave.
I have found that using it like a non-pivoting SE, I do get the tugging you mention, too.
Putting it to the face with the back of the razor head making contact first works best for me, as well as dunking the razor in hot water before starting the shave and in between passes and a fluffy lather.
I don't like the blades much, though, but using the back of the razor head technique, I found the blades would last up to three shaves, yet only one shave using a different technique.

Last edited:

MPF9

Forum GOD!
I have to admit that for some unfathomable reason I do not like the looks of the one Blade Razors, or the Darwin Handle. Also do not like to see overloaded Brushes in SOTD pictures, just imagine how slippery the handles become.
Anyway we all have likes and dislikes, and I read of many who have similar Razor tastes to me actually love it. Maybe counselling would help 😀

WildVieLong

Forum GOD!
I did go through a period where I liked my Hybrid. For me it's become too mild and the Feather blades leave a lot to be desired. They don't seem all that sharp and they don't last long. I'm rolling with my R41 and Fatip's and Gem's these days.

It was one I had to mash to my face and activate the pivot sometimes for the best shave. The let the razor do the work school of shaving doesn't work with this one.

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I did go through a period where I liked my Hybrid. For me it's become too mild and the Feather blades leave a lot to be desired. They don't seem all that sharp and they don't last long. I'm rolling with my R41 and Fatip's and Gem's these days.

It was one I had to mash to my face and activate the pivot sometimes for the best shave. The let the razor do the work school of shaving doesn't work with this one.
It’s designed to use the pivot. I feel like that got lost in translation a lot, with folks afraid whenever the pivot activated. It’s designed for pressure and for the pivot to hit the right angle to get a close shave. Almost completely skilless as a tool really but I like mine now and then.

WildVieLong

Forum GOD!
It’s designed to use the pivot. I feel like that got lost in translation a lot, with folks afraid whenever the pivot activated. It’s designed for pressure and for the pivot to hit the right angle to get a close shave. Almost completely skilless as a tool really but I like mine now and then.
It's a good razor. I really wish the newer model would readily (without notching) take regular GEM blades. Yes, the pivot is lost on many. We love advancement in soap bases, but apparently not in hardware design.

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
It's a good razor. I really wish the newer model would readily (without notching) take regular GEM blades. Yes, the pivot is lost on many. We love advancement in soap bases, but apparently not in hardware design.
Absolutely! It’s quite a bitter move to have the razor only officially support one blade, an expensive and not very durable one either. I’ve got a V1 and it accepts Gems but that’s still only two blades, and the Gem has its own disadvantages in being rougher. I feel like without these issues more people would have liked the OneBlade. Nobody wants to pay that much money for a blade that maybe lasts three uses.

slapo

It's... alive!
I kind of wish someone would 3D print an adapter that could take a short injector blade, or a half DE blade. The Feather FHS-10 would still likely provide best experience, but I'd bet that if the adapter would be well made, the difference would be pretty slim.

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
Has anybody used the Leaf razor from Leaf shave co.
I have been using one for the past week ( on loan ) and it was wonderful and I wondered how it would measure up against the "oneblade" razor.
For those who don't know, the "Leaf" razor it has a pivoting head and uses half DE blades ( up to 3 half blades ) it is incredibly easy to use and gave me outstanding shaves every time.
If anyone would like to lend me a "oneblade" razor I would be more than happy to make a comparison . :) P.

slapo

It's... alive!
Has anybody used the Leaf razor from Leaf shave co.
I have been using one for the past week ( on loan ) and it was wonderful and I wondered how it would measure up against the "oneblade" razor.
For those who don't know, the "Leaf" razor it has a pivoting head and uses half DE blades ( up to 3 half blades ) it is incredibly easy to use and gave me outstanding shaves every time.
If anyone would like to lend me a "oneblade" razor I would be more than happy to make a comparison . :) P.
I've bought one via Indiegogo in 2016 right after I narrowly missed the original Kickstarter campaign.
Since I got it, I've been thinking it was one of my best purchases. I've only been using it with a single half blade, because I found that it worked best for me that way. It hasn't ever failed to deliver a good shave close to BBS and I found the pivot helps to make sure that spots that are a bit tricky to shave with a non-pivoting are shaved well every time.

I also have the OneBlade Core, Focus Dynamic R48 and the Broman razor. The Leaf would be my top pick.

I find the Focus Dynamic R48 to be the most efficient one, but only if I go ATG on the first pass, which, surprisingly, is fine with that razor for me. However, I have to maintain the right technique, putting the back of the razor head to the skin first, like I do with the OneBlade. The difference is that with the OneBlade, it makes it more efficient, but with the R48, it makes it smooth and less aggressive than when using it like fixed head SE (when it's actually easy for me to nick myself with it). It also likes a lot of glide but not a thick lather. I find that the least amount of pressure used (really only to just engage the pivot) yields better shaves. A bit of WD40 helps if the pivot is a little stiff, as does use. Clogs occasionally, but rinsing often is a quick and easy way to avoid that.

The Leaf is almost as efficient as the R48, but I can put it to my skin pretty much any way I like and I think the only time I had a weeper was when I decapirated a small pimple. Of the four pivoting non-cartridge razors I have, the Leaf is the most comfortable one with a high level of efficiency. Two passes are pretty much always spot on. Clogging had never really been an issue, even on a week of facial hair growth.

The Broman razor is the least expensive of them and kind of meh for me. It's mild, but I did get a few nicks from it even when I tried using it like a fixed head razor. I think the plastic 'top cap' flexes a bit, which for me just about always leads to the odd nick or two. It's not very efficient either, but I can usually get a decent shave out of it in 3 passes. I was worried it'd clog like it was its job, but it's quite alright in that regard. Between this and the R48, the Broman is a bit easier to use, but the R48 is a lot more efficient for me.

The OneBlade Core is well engineered, and employing the same technique as with the Focus Dynamic R48 yields best results, but they still seem to be pretty inconsistent. Some days, I'd need 5 passes with a fresh blade for a DFS, other days two are fine. It's the singularly most inconsistent razor I have. I'm pretty sure it's due to the blades and how the coarsness of my beard varies due to what I eat, how well I sleep and how physically active I am, but I get more consistent results from pretty much all other razors I have. I have tried the KAI Best blades with it as well, but they have to be inserted in a specific way in order to be easy to remove again, and like all carbon steel blades I've tried, they are tuggy from the start. I haven't been able to use a GEM blade in it, and have damaged the back od the plastic blade stops on the head trying to do so, to the point where I'm relucant to use the razor again.

I've had my eye on the Focus Dynamic R50, which is a SS version of the R48 with a few improvements, but its price is a lot steeper and I've seen nearly no feedback on it, so I've been holding off on it.

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I've bought one via Indiegogo in 2016 right after I narrowly missed the original Kickstarter campaign.
Since I got it, I've been thinking it was one of my best purchases. I've only been using it with a single half blade, because I found that it worked best for me that way. It hasn't ever failed to deliver a good shave close to BBS and I found the pivot helps to make sure that spots that are a bit tricky to shave with a non-pivoting are shaved well every time.

I also have the OneBlade Core, Focus Dynamic R48 and the Broman razor. The Leaf would be my top pick.

I find the Focus Dynamic R48 to be the most efficient one, but only if I go ATG on the first pass, which, surprisingly, is fine with that razor for me. However, I have to maintain the right technique, putting the back of the razor head to the skin first, like I do with the OneBlade. The difference is that with the OneBlade, it makes it more efficient, but with the R48, it makes it smooth and less aggressive than when using it like fixed head SE (when it's actually easy for me to nick myself with it). It also likes a lot of glide but not a thick lather. I find that the least amount of pressure used (really only to just engage the pivot) yields better shaves. A bit of WD40 helps if the pivot is a little stiff, as does use. Clogs occasionally, but rinsing often is a quick and easy way to avoid that.

The Leaf is almost as efficient as the R48, but I can put it to my skin pretty much any way I like and I think the only time I had a weeper was when I decapirated a small pimple. Of the four pivoting non-cartridge razors I have, the Leaf is the most comfortable one with a high level of efficiency. Two passes are pretty much always spot on. Clogging had never really been an issue, even on a week of facial hair growth.

The Broman razor is the least expensive of them and kind of meh for me. It's mild, but I did get a few nicks from it even when I tried using it like a fixed head razor. I think the plastic 'top cap' flexes a bit, which for me just about always leads to the odd nick or two. It's not very efficient either, but I can usually get a decent shave out of it in 3 passes. I was worried it'd clog like it was its job, but it's quite alright in that regard. Between this and the R48, the Broman is a bit easier to use, but the R48 is a lot more efficient for me.

The OneBlade Core is well engineered, and employing the same technique as with the Focus Dynamic R48 yields best results, but they still seem to be pretty inconsistent. Some days, I'd need 5 passes with a fresh blade for a DFS, other days two are fine. It's the singularly most inconsistent razor I have. I'm pretty sure it's due to the blades and how the coarsness of my beard varies due to what I eat, how well I sleep and how physically active I am, but I get more consistent results from pretty much all other razors I have. I have tried the KAI Best blades with it as well, but they have to be inserted in a specific way in order to be easy to remove again, and like all carbon steel blades I've tried, they are tuggy from the start. I haven't been able to use a GEM blade in it, and have damaged the back od the plastic blade stops on the head trying to do so, to the point where I'm relucant to use the razor again.

I've had my eye on the Focus Dynamic R50, which is a SS version of the R48 with a few improvements, but its price is a lot steeper and I've seen nearly no feedback on it, so I've been holding off on it.
Thankyou for your comprehensive reply, most interesting. P.

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I have to say, used the V1 OneBlade with a Gem blade twice now and have had awful irritated shaves with it, so have a feeling the Gems don’t work for me. No issues with the Feathers.

WildVieLong

Forum GOD!
I have to say, used the V1 OneBlade with a Gem blade twice now and have had awful irritated shaves with it, so have a feeling the Gems don’t work for me. No issues with the Feathers.
I was going to say this in your earlier reply, but this seems a better place.

I actually think the Gem blades are much better than the FHS-10 in smoothness and for sure longevity. The Feather is just barely sharp enough. Have you tried Gem blades in regular Gem SE razors. Also are you sure the Gem blades you have are the shaving ones. They also make a line that is for utility knives. (Guessing you know that, but would throw it out there). I like the Gem PTFE, stainless and even carbon steel The PTFE are said to be a bit rougher than the stainless on the first save but I never noticed much.

WildVieLong

Forum GOD!
Horses for courses in this game, but I find the OB as easy to use as a Mach 3.
It is as easy, but for me the Mach 3 is way more efficient, does a better job and lasts longer. For a cart, I like the Mach 3, the blades are far enough apart that rinsing is easy.