One pass shaves

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
I can achieve a more than acceptable one pass shave with a straight, but it does involve a little cheating, you need to use a buffing motion so the reality is my beard needs at least two days growth, a good pre-shave such as Proraso a really nice lather coupled with a good technique I can do it.
 

Nisse

Old geezer
First of all, acceptable is not good enough for me so I do not stop after one pass, furthermore, after spending a lot of time trying to find the right gear and perfecting my technique I like my daily shaving ritual to last
 
Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
Yeah! We all know we like our bathroom time away from the Missus doing a 12 pass shave and using every last drop of lather we can squeeze from the brush. The question was "Can you get a decent shave from One pass"?
What is your standard for judging what "a decent shave from One pass" is? Mine might be completely different.

Bob
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I would have thought everybodies interpretation of a decent shave was the same. I can get a DFS in one pass with my gear Bob. A shave that no one except the most anal shaver would be unhappy with. If I really want BBS it's two.
 
Last edited:

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
I do my head in a single ATG pass. I guess i could do my beard the same but i enjoy shaving and am not in that much of a hurry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:

Malc6552

WS-D2 Masamune
Yeah! We all know we like our bathroom time away from the Missus doing a 12 pass shave and using every last drop of lather we can squeeze from the brush. The question was "Can you get a decent shave from One pass"?
I can get half decent with one pass, so the answer to the question is NO :D
 

Nisse

Old geezer
Decent: good enough to show up at the office, then a one pass shave with ligth touch up using Bic One blade and canned goo will do (did for many years)

Cuddly toy: good enough to impress the ladies, a two pass shave with serious touch up using any DE/SE/Straight with proper brush/soap prep

Dolphin/BBS: to impress myself, whatever it takes in passes and time
 
Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
I would have thought everybodies interpretation of a decent shave was the same. I can get a DFS in one pass with my gear Bob. A shave that no one except the most anal shaver would be unhappy with. If I really want BBS it's two.
With shaving related subjects interpretations differ and sometimes greatly. If everyone interpreted things the same way there would be a consensus, cut and dried, as to which soaps are good and which are bad, everyone would be using the same make/model blade, the same make/model razor and so on.

Without an agreed upon standard set of parameters it is subjective and varies person to person.

Anyone can do a one and done and get away with it as most people don't give a rats ass what your shave looks like. The only time anyone cared about what my shave looked like was during inspection in the Navy. Those days are long gone by 30 years.

So what are the parameters for a DFS? Things like is stubble not visually present when viewed from, say, 2-3 feet or absent from the touch when you check all over your face? How long should it last before stubble is detectable again?

Bob
​
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
With shaving related subjects interpretations differ and sometimes greatly. If everyone interpreted things the same way there would be a consensus, cut and dried, as to which soaps are good and which are bad, everyone would be using the same make/model blade, the same make/model razor and so on.

Without an agreed upon standard set of parameters it is subjective and varies person to person.

Anyone can do a one and done and get away with it as most people don't give a rats ass what your shave looks like. The only time anyone cared about what my shave looked like was during inspection in the Navy. Those days are long gone by 30 years.

So what are the parameters for a DFS? Things like is stubble not visually present when viewed from, say, 2-3 feet or absent from the touch when you check all over your face? How long should it last before stubble is detectable again?

Bob
​
:surrender:
 

R181

Grumpy old man
Had I seen Nisse's post before posting mine, I would go along with his definition of "Decent" as being good enough for work where virtually nobody cares what your shave looks like. I did that for years but I shave to please myself now and that bar is too low to satisfy me now.

Just to confuse things even more, I was under the impression DFS stood for Damn Fine Shave which to me is almost BBS.

Bob :D
 

Farabeuf

Über Member
My hair grows in wildly different directions. I literally have a whirlpool pattern under my chin. So a one pass will never give a smooth finish. 2 passes are needed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Top