Omega 81064

p.b

Forum GOD!
I fancy breaking in a big boar brush again. Anyone have any views on the Omega 81064?


 

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I don't have that particular brush but I have several Omega brushes. My biggest is the Pro 49. I like it because of it's size. And it has broken in nicely so it is soft when fully hydrated. But lately I've come to appreciate a small brush. I use less soap or cream and it makes less of a mess. My bigger brushes tend to throw lather all over the place. Sometimes that can be fun but these days I'm really appreciating a medium sized knot.
 

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I fancy breaking in a big boar brush again. Anyone have any views on the Omega 81064?


I enjoyed the brush when I used it although my preferences have now subsequently changed.

There was many an evangelist for the previous Omega 31064 which I think is the same brush as the 81064 but re-numbered (happy to be corrected if I am mistaken). This is an excellent post from the SMF archives on Boar brushes and the 31064 in particular by Zach who is often credited with re-popularising Boar brushes during the first decade of this century http://forum.shavemyface.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35880&hilit=omega+31064. The brush was held up by many as the best exemplar of a boar brush, including Zach.
 

Nisse

Old geezer
_DSC3322.jpg

Personally I prefer Omega pale no band pig brushes.
(The only one to put up a fight and really need a breaking in period to bring a smile to my face was the 108 knot)
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: p.b

p.b

Forum GOD!
I enjoyed the brush when I used it although my preferences have now subsequently changed.

There was many an evangelist for the previous Omega 31064 which I think is the same brush as the 81064 but re-numbered (happy to be corrected if I am mistaken). This is an excellent post from the SMF archives on Boar brushes and the 31064 in particular by Zach who is often credited with re-popularising Boar brushes during the first decade of this century http://forum.shavemyface.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35880&hilit=omega+31064. The brush was held up by many as the best exemplar of a boar brush, including Zach.
Yes - you're right the 31064 does look like the same brush. Thank you for the link. Some say it's floppy, others say it's not. I suspect it's down to natural variations: I've owned 6+ '49 Omega knots and they were all different.
 

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Yes - you're right the 31064 does look like the same brush. Thank you for the link. Some say it's floppy, others say it's not. I suspect it's down to natural variations: I've owned 6+ '49 Omega knots and they were all different.
Agreed; my 31064 was a tad floppier than I would have preferred, but still very good. The Goodfella Wild Hog, is an Omega 49 set at a lower loft, and consequently is more focused with a tad more backbone.
 
  • Like
Reactions: p.b

Nisse

Old geezer
All my Omega pig brushes irrespective of loft have a moppy floppy feel if soaked, I call it old school barbershop feel :)
 
Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
Floppy is not normally a descriptor I would apply to any of the 7 boar brushes I have but certainly to some badger brushes I have. OTH when comparing between different boar brushes it may have some meaning albeit not as pronounced as with badger brushes. With boar brushes it seems to make a relatively minor difference to me when using a boar brush.

Bob
 

lloydrm

Forum GOD!
IME the 49 is the most consistent knot. My preference is to set one of those knots into a handle of your preference. Take off the ring/cup and lower the loft a bit. It completely changes/improves how the knot splays.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: p.b

oscar11

Forum GOD!
I've had this brush before, it's o.k. but would benefit from a lower loft, imo. Banded boar has an entirely different feel than the natural colored bristle and if you hit the loft right will make a nice brush.
 

oscar11

Forum GOD!
It must have something to do with the preparation for dyeing or dyeing. It's not a bad thing IMO, banded boar just feels a bit different. To me, the bristle seems finer and more brittle. I have no proof of this, it's just my impression. I had been using a banded boar this summer that I planned on relofting in a different handle but broke the knot trying to remove it a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to do an Omega 20248 (big banded knot) sometime this winter but I'm messing around with a few synthetic knots (brushes) right now. Good luck, I like boar brushes.
 
Top