Oh Sweet Aristocrat

Mike Smart

Forum GOD!
It just has to be, doesn’t it? So very similar but without seeing it in the flesh it’s difficult to compare the quality of each razor. It’s a cracker, Mike. 🪒😎
Iv got a good few vintage japanese including Feather.
some look rather familiar some don’t.
Apparently Hitachi were pretty big on Razors at one time.
Probably 50’s
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
My box is in superb shape. I must say I am intrigued about this person who received the Aristocrat as a gift. Who was he? What did he do? The year was 1949 and the war was over. As a Vietnam veteran, I am curious about these circumstance. Indeed, who was he?
Obie, in 1949 conscription still applied in Britain so every eligible young man was called up for a two year stint. However, because it was such a common occurrence raises the question of why this particular person was given a memento of the occasion. It could be that he belonged to a club or association who awarded this to everyone on reaching the call up age - but I’d guess it’s more likely a person joining on a longer term career.
 

Obie

Veteran
It is a wonderfully intriguing, thought provoking addition. Who was he, how did he live? It adds a real human element to the razor instead of us objectifying it. The engraving is lovely work too.
Indeed, it creates a big mystery. It may sound corny, but I already have a connection to the the razor's first owner.
 

Obie

Veteran
Obie, in 1949 conscription still applied in Britain so every eligible young man was called up for a two year stint. However, because it was such a common occurrence raises the question of why this particular person was given a memento of the occasion. It could be that he belonged to a club or association who awarded this to everyone on reaching the call up age - but I’d guess it’s more likely a person joining on a longer term career.
Good points, Rob. It almost makes a good start for a novel. I am already working on my third novel, so I might save this for the fourth.
 

Obie

Veteran
Iv got a good few vintage japanese including Feather.
some look rather familiar some don’t.
Apparently Hitachi were pretty big on Razors at one time.
Probably 50’s
This I didn't know about Hitachi. Interesting. Was then the razor in question a clone of the Aristocrat? OY, all this mystery stimulates my appetite for a solid English breakfast and tea — it is 7 a.m. where I am in the U.S.
 
Top