Noob advice please

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
Some great advice here. There's no point in risking your skin if you think that shaving against the grain is going to do it any damage; and it isn't worth it if you might damage your skin. That's going to mean more recovery time, and a longer time between shaves. I do 2 passes each day, and about half the time I attempt a third ATG pass; as someone (I believe it was @halvor ) said above, you can tell within the first stroke or two whether ATG is going to work for you that day. If I feel uncomfortable tugging in that first or second stroke, I put the razor down. I know that after 2 passes I will look great, and not subjecting my skin to a potentially rough third pass means my skin will be ready for another close shave tomorrow!
 
I mainly do one pass wtg if I'm shaving everyday, if I miss a couple of days I'll do a WTG passe and then a slightly XTG pass.
I do short, overlapping strokes and usually get a DFS - I have no interest in a BBS.
Technique has been more important than hardware to get down to one pass but hardware can make an appreciable difference now I have my technique down pat. I find the steeper angle of an 'Old' style OC head suits me.
 

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
Thank you C.o.U.

It wasn’t so much for the BBS, it was more a train of thought.
Seeing as each pass is more stubble reduction - a WTG pass results in a SAS.

If I start at an SAS two days after shaving, could I then start with a XTG pass, as I am in the same state that I would be after three days growth and a WTG pass.

Not sure I’m making good sense or sound logic.
 
SAS? New one on me I'm afraid.
Start with whatever you like/can cope with. I got to a one pass shave by way of saving time on work mornings. Multipass shave or actually have the kids ready for the school run. I'm an IT engineer and at the time I had dreadlocks so I could go to work with stubble if needs be, my partner hated me so no kisses anyway. After a month or two I found I was getting not far off as close a shave as a three pass one (I've never done ATG without hideous damage). So I stuck to it, improved technique found the best hardware and prep for me. Now I find the diminishing returns of each pass just aren't worth the effort, an extra squidrillion of an inch = who cares.
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
Okay...I think that's a little too nebulous for me, even an Ok For Work Shave needs qualifying with your line of work
I’m not one for nitpicking, but... Well, okay, that’s why we are here is it not?

Like so much else, it doesn’t make much sense without seeing in in the context of the other steps on the scale, and/or relative to eg how you look x hours after a BBS.

BBS (baby butt)
DFS (damn fine)
CCS (close and comfortable)
SAS (socially acceptable)

Another thing, we are talking shaves and not beard trimming, though. So I’d say there’s a finite scale here and a point after which you no longer can claim to have had a shave per se?
 
Last edited:
Good effort at explanation, CCS is new to me as well. I don't have that many degrees of shaveness - I only have two Shave and DFS. Anything else is either not shaven or raw meat.
But I'll try and remember for next time, one doesn't want to appear out of touch after all.
 

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
Socially Acceptable Shave. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!
That’s what I found (SAS - socially acceptable shave) when I was looking up what DFS was (I thought it was a sofa shop :laugh:).

To me, that is a careful pass WTG, where I look tidy, until close inspection / contact.

Now I think about it DFS / CCS / SAS - one of those strikes me as surplus to requirements.
I’m not sure I could distinguish them o; my own face.
 
Last edited:

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
Good effort at explanation, CCS is new to me as well. I don't have that many degrees of shaveness - I only have two Shave and DFS. Anything else is either not shaven or raw meat.
But I'll try and remember for next time, one doesn't want to appear out of touch after all.
Sorry.
Being a noob, I had to look up DFS, which then brought up the whole scale.
I just assumed it was common knowledge on the forum and didn’t want to look a plonker.

I was told by an “old boy” (someone about my age when I was 20) that if you keep shaving WTG your face / beard will get used to it and the shave will get smoother and smoother.
I could never be bothered, so just kept shaving in any direction I could to get a smooth fininsh when I was using cartridges.

At the moment, I am trawling through blade brands trying to find “my fit”. When I come across one that is too harsh, I go with a one or two pass shave, so as not to waste the blade and see if I can adjust technique to make better use of it, without looking like I fell through a closed window.
 

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
I’m not one for nitpicking, but... Well, okay, that’s why we are here is it not?

Like so much else, it doesn’t make much sense without seeing in in the context of the other steps on the scale, and/or relative to eg how you look x hours after a BBS.

BBS (baby butt)
DFS (damn fine)
CCS (close and comfortable)
SAS (socially acceptable)

Another thing, we are talking shaves and not beard trimming, though. So I’d say there’s a finite scale here and a point after which you no longer can claim to have had a shave per se?
Don't forgot these two
DBS = Dolphin Butt Smooth
BDBS = Baby Dolphin Butt Smooth
 
...
I was told by an “old boy” (someone about my age when I was 20) that if you keep shaving WTG your face / beard will get used to it and the shave will get smoother and smoother...
Not heard that before but it seems to have worked for me. I remember having to look up BBS when I first started but not the rest.
 
Top