New Windrose Titanium handles

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Fortunately for my credit card, the Damascus Welded Steel handle was 95mm (I prefer 85-90mm). Good prices!
 

slapo

It's... alive!
Well, darn it. The titanium handles look good, but are too thin for me.

But I spotted that the seller now also sells a pair of slant heads and couldn't resist this one:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windrose-razor-R1-Open-Comb-Slant-Satin-Finish-Made-in-UK-/263070113202

Worst case, I think that handle sells for £45 separately and the head itself is almost £33, so either I struck a bargain or have just made a fool of myself.

The other slant head looks a lot like the latest PAA slant (non-blade-twisting, just blade tilting). Maybe a copy of the same razor. I had some serious doubt it would be a good shaver for me, unlike the OC slant head, which looks like an improved copy of the PAA bakelite slant head (blade tabs covered and, hopefully, this one's made of metal).
 

slapo

It's... alive!
nice stuff they got there, I wonder if the heads they sell are zinc,aluminum or brass?
Pretty sure the Pearl-like OC and Merkur-like SB are cheap zamak heads. The OC, which I got months ago, definitely looks like chromed zamak under the plating on the top cap screw.
No idea about the latest slant heads, though.
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
@Batch300 how are you getting on with the Barbaros Adjustable?
Amazing well - dialing up the adjustment. Besides the B&R adjustable, purchased the Guerrilla and Charcoal Goods razors. My urge is now to review selling razors in my den rather than buying. I have another Rockwell 6c (new) and possibly more not on my current list of favorites.
 

slapo

It's... alive!
Well, I know have the R1 handle (arrived Saturday morning) and the F2 on the way. Both with the OC slant head. Ordered the second one in no small part also to get a second head. It's great.
In fact, it made me think about selling most of my other razors and razor heads and cease buying any more, as with those I have already, the rest doesn't excite me any more, maybe except the Mamba/Oristo.
The R1 SS handle is really nice. A bit nicer to look at than to use, as it turned out I'm not a barber pole fan (first such handle), but still good.
 
Last edited:

efsk

Forum GOD!
ut I spotted that the seller now also sells a pair of slant heads and coulBdn't resist this one:
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windrose-razor-R1-Open-Comb-Slant-Satin-Finish-Made-in-UK-/263070113202

The other slant head looks a lot like the latest PAA slant (non-blade-twisting, just blade tilting). Maybe a copy of the same razor.
The closed comb Windrose slant is a copy of the Merkur B3 diagonal, also sold as Walbusch, Eros, Zorro, and then some. The Cisterna I posted a thread about has a slight variation on this head.
The open comb is a copy of the Fasan No1 slant. And No2, No3, and then some, all looking the same but with varieties in weight or packaging. Lot of DDR-copies as wel: Trumpf, KWC, ... The PAA is a modern copy, as now the metal Windrose.
Just received these, will post about them later this week once I've made pics.
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
The closed comb Windrose slant is a copy of the Merkur B3 diagonal, also sold as Walbusch, Eros, Zorro, and then some. The Cisterna I posted a thread about has a slight variation on this head.
The open comb is a copy of the Fasan No1 slant. And No2, No3, and then some, all looking the same but with varieties in weight or packaging. Lot of DDR-copies as wel: Trumpf, KWC, ... The PAA is a modern copy, as now the metal Windrose.
Just received these, will post about them later this week once I've made pics.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on these...
 

slapo

It's... alive!
The closed comb Windrose slant is a copy of the Merkur B3 diagonal, also sold as Walbusch, Eros, Zorro, and then some. The Cisterna I posted a thread about has a slight variation on this head.
The open comb is a copy of the Fasan No1 slant. And No2, No3, and then some, all looking the same but with varieties in weight or packaging. Lot of DDR-copies as wel: Trumpf, KWC, ... The PAA is a modern copy, as now the metal Windrose.
Just received these, will post about them later this week once I've made pics.
Ah, I had thought the Walbusch was the original design, my mistake.
I think the main difference from e. g. the Cisterna are the posts - the Cisterna seems to offer better support for the blade from the base plate, which generally equals to better shaves for me (less blade flex, so more pleasant and more efficient ATG passes). It's why I gave that Windrose head a pass.

The OC, however... the PAA bakelite slant I have has a bit more blade feel to it, but I don't think it was more efficient, or only a little. I wish it had metal posts, as mine had eroded enough so that it's not possible to get the blade to align quite well anymore. The Windrose head addresses all I didn't like about the PAA bakelite slant. From what I had heard, the PAA was pretty much a straight copy of one of the Fasan heads. I wouldn't mind a touch more blade feel from the Windrose head, but then again, I could run it across my face with abandon and get a great, irritation free shave still. Plus, the R1 handle is quite pretty. F2 is in the post. Got a card from Royal Mail today, so asked them to re-deliver on Saturday, as the post office it's going to be stored in is open until 1PM only, any given day. :-P
 
Top