New SE razor coming - and it takes GEM SE blades

Darkbulb

Member #10
Barbaros' / @theunnamed's plans on coming out with a GEM blade compatible razor is moving along :)
No date or anything apart from the information in the video here that it will take BOTH injector and GEM SE blades. Note: They are clear about this still being in the prototype stage - but this one might be something to look out for in late 2017 maybe.

The head looks rather Rocnelesque to me so I wonder if this might be another collab between the two Turkish razor makers.

Update: Barbaros confirmed that this is a Barbaros-only venture

The fact that it take both Injector as well as GEM blades raises some questions - and interest with me :)

A lot of people have been asking for a modern GEM SE blade compatible razor so this one might be of interest to a number of people depending on the price.

Last edited:

Darkbulb

Member #10
I can't imaging this *not* having 2 different heads....
If it's Rocnel and Barbaros putting their heads (no pun intended) together here I wouldn't be surprised if they can do it with one head - maybe two different 'slots' in the base plate than can accommodate an injector blade (inserted manually) as well a GEM blade. I guess we shall see :)

Update: Barbaros confirmed that this is a Barbaros-only venture

Last edited:

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Jesus! What a brute!

Surely the 1912 patent is done and dusted? Just copy that ... it was, afterall, the best.

First thought ... aside from "Jesus! What a brute!" ... there's no drainage for the lather. ASR had such since the beginning and had been manufacturing razors for some 30 plus years before 1930 and the Micromatic. Flat baseplate, no drain holes. Cue a mere year or two later, the "Clog Pruf" ... with drain holes, so it didn't clog.

Second thought, after due consideration of the size, it's big, it's cumbersome. Folks complain (unduly, in my opinion) that they can't get a 1912 under their nose ... well, those folks better get use to 'taches if they're going to shave with this.

Third thought ... longer, maybe fatter handle. Copy Pils. Forget decorating the handle - this is slab, this is monolithic and the handle should reflect that.

theunnamed

Forum GOD!
Vendor
Hello Gents,

First of all thank you for the inputs. I would like to clear one thing. This is preliminary draft. I cannot say whether it will be successful or not right now. Started to get 3D prints. I mean its too early for me to explain more.

Hasan

Darkbulb

Member #10
Hello Gents,

First of all thank you for the inputs. I would like to clear one thing. This is preliminary draft. I cannot say whether it will be successful or not right now. Started to get 3D prints. I mean its too early for me to explain more.

Hasan
Well it does look interesting - do pop in and give us some status updates down the road if it moves out of the prototype/concept phase.
Happy Holidays and best of luck in 2017!

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I'm in two minds. While I applaud anyone making a modern razor taking GEM blades, I don't like what I'm seeing. It's nowhere near as elegant as the 1912. My ideal modern razor would be a 1912 with two changes: it should take GEM blades without a shim and have an M5 thread. Three changes, if it could be designed somehow to take injector blades as well - an intriguing aspect of the Barbaros razor. I'd be delighted to try this new razor though. I'll be bold and volunteer as an alpha tester for the first prototype coming out of a 3D printer or something :cool:

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Why not call it the UGM as in ugly motherf...er?

Seriously, the angles look horrendous but the intention to incorporate an injector blade is admirable. I just don't see any need for another razor to accommodate a Gem being necessary when there are so many old razors that are so hard to beat.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I just don't see any need for another razor to accommodate a Gem being necessary when there are so many old razors that are so hard to beat.
You know Mr 1912 agrees ...

You'd say the same of double edge razors - Gillette perfected the matter with the New and then again with the Tech for folks who were scared of the open comb. You'd say the same, but folks do lap up those stainless double edge razors.

Let's see what the fellow comes up with ... we've given him some already tough feedback.

Darkbulb

Member #10
I just don't see any need for another razor to accommodate a Gem being necessary when there are so many old razors that are so hard to beat.
With that logic wouldn't that mean that NO more modern razors would be made regardless of blade? :)

We are already weird enough to be hanging out on a forum discussing grooming products and treating it as a hobby. My interests lies more with h/w such as razors and what designs and materials various makers comes out with and how/if they can change/improve a shave.

Some works and some certainly doesn't - but it would be extremely boring, for me, if no one tried :)

Last edited: