New Saponificio Varesino Soap Scent

Rasorium

Legendary Member
I hope the new soap smells better than the last one (Cubebe), not a great scent by any measure. Smells like cheap shower gel!, as someone else once commented.
Funny you should say that about Cubebe. I got sent a free sample of the Aftershave and I thought it smelt like a cheap imitation of CK Obsession. The smell was so overpowering after two hours it made me feel ill and I had to go and wash it off. Felce Aromatica on the other hand is one of my favourite soaps (& Aftershave).

Fozzie Bear

Forum Clod!
Funny you should say that about Cubebe. I got sent a free sample of the Aftershave and I thought it smelt like a cheap imitation of CK Obsession. The smell was so overpowering after two hours it made me feel ill and I had to go and wash it off. Felce Aromatica on the other hand is one of my favourite soaps (& Aftershave).
Thanks Ras, The Felce will be my next SV I reckon as it seems to be a safe bet scent wise. I have seen many people comment they like/love the scent of Cubebe but I am not one of them!

NeilJ

Forum GOD!
Agree! Most US artisan soap makers like Stirling, B&M and so on are heavy on the smell! 🤣 They tend to overdo it. Like some DIYer with a nose cold was running the bussines. SV are very detailed in their scents, layered and with great depth. Just like Castle and Forbes and some Truefitt and Hill for that matter. SV is one of the best soaps out there.
Totally agree on this one. US artisan soaps have great performance but the European soaps have a far more refined scents in general.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
One day I’ll give SV another go.

Admittedly, I’ve only had Felce Aromatica - which reminded me of a urinal freshener in a pub I once worked at.

I’d need to hit up Shave Dash I think!

NeilJ

Forum GOD!
One day I’ll give SV another go.

Admittedly, I’ve only had Felce Aromatica - which reminded me of a urinal freshener in a pub I once worked at.

I’d need to hit up Shave Dash I think!
I agree, not my favourite scent at all.

Shave Dash are excellent for trying before you splash out on a new soap.

Dr Watson

James
Just looked at the MH notes list and it does look rather similar. Why can't these companies just come up with originals?
Most soaps with "complex" scents just use off the shelf fragrance oils, I think B&M blends his own, as does APR and the Frenchies generally only use essential oils (MdC & LPL.)

Couple of reasons I guess: Financially it's a lot cheaper than commissioning your own and they seem to be really popular... People genuinely want Aventus/Sauvage/Chanel scented soaps so these oils are just the job. I recall @Wayne had gained some insight into this side of soap making from his own experiments.

Randomangle

Über Bum
Most soaps with "complex" scents just use off the shelf fragrance oils, I think B&M blends his own, as does APR and the Frenchies generally only use essential oils (MdC & LPL.)

Couple of reasons I guess: Financially it's a lot cheaper than commissioning your own and they seem to be really popular... People genuinely want Aventus/Sauvage/Chanel scented soaps so these oils are just the job. I recall @Wayne had gained some insight into this side of soap making from his own experiments.
Years ago when first interested in fragrances I looked into making my own and it did seem like a lot of faff. I wasn’t sufficiently interested for it not to be a faff. I forget that they are primarily soap makers and not fragrance makers.

As to the pongos you mentioned, I cannot see the appeal of them ... The Sunday Times Beauty Awards names Sauvage the best male fragrance. :facepalm:

Mr Depp has a lot to answer for – IMOOOC!

:thumbsup:

Dr Watson

James
Are any of their other soap scent profiles attempts to copy popular fragrances?
Opuntia - Creed Aventus
Mirto de Sardegna - Cartier Declaration
Colonia - AdP Colonia
Tundra Artica - AdP Ambra
70th Anniversary - Armani Acqua di Gio
Manna di Scicilia - Smells exactly like Persian amber attar oil.
Cubebe, Felce Aromatica, Dolomiti & Stella Alpina are more like nice shower gels than perfumes.

Edit to add: All are pleasant/inoffensive to me (apart from Mirto which smells like a Birmingham curry house) though there is a sickly sweet scent common to all of them, not sure what it is but it can be offputting if used too often, a non issue if you have a rotation of soaps.

Last edited:

Steve

Boomer Member
I think the Opuntia has a 'camphor' smell, and thus, it smells medicinal to me. Strangely, it's one of my favourite soaps. I just ordered the Felce Aromatica.

Randomangle

Über Bum
Opuntia - Creed Aventus
Mirto de Sardegna - Cartier Declaration
Colonia - AdP Colonia
Tundra Artica - AdP Ambra
Manna di Scicilia - Smells exactly like Persian amber attar oil.
Cubebe, Felce Aromatica, Dolomiti & Stella Alpina are more like nice shower gels than perfumes.

Edit to add: All are pleasant/inoffensive to me (apart from Mirto which smells like a Birmingham curry house) though there is a sickly sweet scent common to all of them, not sure what it is but it can be offputting if used too often, a non issue if you have a rotation of soaps.
Thanks James, you save me the bother of sampling them. I may try a couple of the ones which are not 'inspirations'.