New de blades

Jfett

CunningMr.Fox
Just ordered some new de blades. I’ve went in blind and just jumped straight in

10 Gillette rubies
10 bic chrome platinum
10 voskhod Teflon.

any experience with these blades gentleman? Would like to know your thoughts.

many respects as always. J.
 

ScuddyHewson

Forum GOD!
The BICs are almost Feather-like sharp but more comfy, doesn't last very long for me, maybe 3 shaves, max.

I would place the Rubies among blades like Nacets and Gillette Platinum.

For me, the Voskhods are super smooth, maybe not the sharpest but will get the job done.

Perfect when your skin needs some rest after a day in the sun or when you've had a straight razor mishap the previous day. They also pair well with aggressive slants. But beware, some find the Voskhods tuggy and uncomfy. This is probably the most YMMV-blade in the lot.
 

Jfett

CunningMr.Fox
The BICs are almost Feather-like sharp but more comfy, doesn't last very long for me, maybe 3 shaves, max.

I would place the Rubies among blades like Nacets and Gillette Platinum.

For me, the Voskhods are super smooth, maybe not the sharpest but will get the job done.

Perfect when your skins needs some rest after a day in the sun or when you have had a straight razor mishap the previous day. They also pair well with aggressive slants. But beware, some find the Voskhods tuggy and uncomfy. This is probably the most YMMV-blade in the lot.
Very much appreciate the effort to reply. Many respects. J.
 

SeanC

Forum GOD!
The BICs are almost Feather-like sharp but more comfy, doesn't last very long for me, maybe 3 shaves, max.

I would place the Rubies among blades like Nacets and Gillette Platinum.

For me, the Voskhods are super smooth, maybe not the sharpest but will get the job done.

Perfect when your skin needs some rest after a day in the sun or when you've had a straight razor mishap the previous day. They also pair well with aggressive slants. But beware, some find the Voskhods tuggy and uncomfy. This is probably the most YMMV-blade in the lot.
The only thing that I can add to this is that it would be worth trying another couple of mid-range blades, preferably non-platinum coated (the Rubie is) as these have a different face feel and sharpness. Fire me a PM with your details and I'll send a manageable selection FOC
 

Blackie

Forum GOD!
Rubies are a great blade. I could easily survive on just Rubies.
For me...the Voskhods and Bic are a pain. I really don't like them at all.
They are well out-classed by the Rubie.
 

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
I’ve just recently discovered Bics and am quite impressed. Tried Vokshods a while ago but they didn’t really do it for me. Maybe I need to try them again.

Liked Rubies when I had them but I find all Gillettes work for me.

Good luck with your search!

steve
 

Jfett

CunningMr.Fox
I’ve just recently discovered Bics and am quite impressed. Tried Vokshods a while ago but they didn’t really do it for me. Maybe I need to try them again.

Liked Rubies when I had them but I find all Gillettes work for me.

Good luck with your search!

steve
Thankyou very much Steve for the reply I can only try and eliminate. So many razors so many soaps so many blades. Is their ever a solution lol.
Sincerest respects my friend. J.
 

Blackie

Forum GOD!
I know it's a YMMV sort of thing...but what razor do you use these blades in?
All of my razors are a tad more than 'mild'.
Stainless Karve #F and #G plates, Blackbird SB and OC, stainless Timeless .95 OC, Gillette 'Black Beauty' set on 9, etc, etc.
So I prefer a more assertive razor, which probably goes well with my choice of blades (mainly Russian Gillettes, Kai, Feather, Astra SS, for example).
My razors don't like Bic, Voskhod, Bolzano...yet these may be OK in a milder razor?
If you don't want to be getting a heap of blade samples and throwing out all the cheap, nasty stuff (Bolzano) then go straight to the top...the new Gillette Minora stainless is a great blade. Rank them way up there with the Rubie.
Get some Minora stainless and your razor blade search is over. Buy 500...no use pussy-footing around.
I just bought 300 with more to come ('cos my stash is down to about only 1000 blades now).
 
Top