Meeting up with Jonny of Lothur Soaps

Wayne

Forum Sod
I had a very nice hour and a bit this evening outside The Mustard Pot Pub, here in Leeds, West Yorkshire, meeting up with Jonny the Artisan behind Lothur Soaps.
He contacted me after my musings on his Soap, Dave and as we are both Leeds Lads he offered to meet me sometime to let me sniff his new improved scents and give him my feedback
We met and sat down in this glorious Sunshine in a pub that didn't take cash or card, just some ridiculous payment by an app, I didn't even have a QR reader so in shame I had to let Jonny buy me a pint. Bloody stupid the depths this country has plunged to when it doesn't even accept coin of the realm anymore.
Rant over. He brought his inspitation for his soaps which was a Zingari Man Soap, The Navigator, we started by discussing this soap and it's almost non existant fragrance. It is supposed to contain Amber, Marine notes and Musk. That should be a strong fragrance especially being A. American and B. Containing Amber and Musk. Sadly it is a major let down. I explained my reasoning behind why I said I didn't enjoy Dave when I bought it.
It isn't the packaging, the soap or the performance, they are all really good, it was the scent strength, I said "When I buy a soap that is scented and I struggle to pick that sent up I basically feel cheated" He was kind enough to understand and agree.
He then got out his three new offerings with boosted strength. Tears. Calm and Juice.
These are not on sale yet but will be soon. They are a massive improvement with strong recognisable notes, you know what is on the label you are now getting.
IMG_4904.JPG

All the scents were stronger I'd say around a 6- 7 out of the tub, not up with A&E but due to U.K and E.U restrictions they can't be.
Jonny explained he has to adhere to the regulations and explained how his fragrances are tested then he is told what percentage he can legally add to his soaps. The U.S have no such restrictions as anyone who has ever had frag burn will attest to.
We then discussed some new fragrances he had brought on strips for upcoming soaps he may be releasing in the future. I can't say exactly what they are but believe me they will be worth the wait, they are all awesome. if he goes ahead he will have 100% winners on his hands as are the new upped fragraced offerings.

Jonny was kind enough to listen and take in my ramblings, gracious and modest, we talked all things shaving and honestly it was fantastic to have another shaving 'Nutter' face to face over a pint. Even if the pangs of guilt that I couldn't buy a pint bit really deep, as a Yorkshire Man, we aren't known for chucking money around but we always stand our round.
The guilt got worse however when Jonny told me I could keep the 3 tubs he had brought along. I honestly was frankly Gobsmacked, I can not thank him enough for his generosity. I'm now the proud first owner of these new improved soaps and cannot wait to lather them up.
We all know the Shaving Family is full of generous people and Jonny is another one of those fine folk who is willing to give his time as a busy Artisan to come and meet an old soak like me and listen to his nonsense for an hour and actually understand where I was coming from.
If you haven't tried Lothur Soaps yet and have been put off by the reviews of weak scents, from me but great performance, believe me that is about to change and I can wholeheartedly recommend that when these are relased you will not be disappointed. They will be the full package.
He is a quandry over Dave, it is, if you are not familar, named after his sadly passed Father and he doesn't know whether to keep it as an unscented ( popular with many) or to rebrand it. Whatever he does it will be a fitting tribute to his Dad and a lovely touch from a truly nice Guy.
Thanks for a great evening Jonny, it was a pleasure and an honour. I wish you every success.
 

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Great update, although I’m a little disappointed as before I bought my tubs I messaged to ask if these were the newer base with stronger scents and was told they were. I’ve loved the soaps performance, but still thought the scents were quite low, sounds like I wasn’t given the newer ones after all.
 

Morpheus

Forum GOD!
I had a very nice hour and a bit this evening outside The Mustard Pot Pub, here in Leeds, West Yorkshire, meeting up with Jonny the Artisan behind Lothur Soaps.
He contacted me after my musings on his Soap, Dave and as we are both Leeds Lads he offered to meet me sometime to let me sniff his new improved scents and give him my feedback
We met and sat down in this glorious Sunshine in a pub that didn't take cash or card, just some ridiculous payment by an app, I didn't even have a QR reader so in shame I had to let Jonny buy me a pint. Bloody stupid the depths this country has plunged to when it doesn't even accept coin of the realm anymore.
Rant over. He brought his inspitation for his soaps which was a Zingari Man Soap, The Navigator, we started by discussing this soap and it's almost non existant fragrance. It is supposed to contain Amber, Marine notes and Musk. That should be a strong fragrance especially being A. American and B. Containing Amber and Musk. Sadly it is a major let down. I explained my reasoning behind why I said I didn't enjoy Dave when I bought it.
It isn't the packaging, the soap or the performance, they are all really good, it was the scent strength, I said "When I buy a soap that is scented and I struggle to pick that sent up I basically feel cheated" He was kind enough to understand and agree.
He then got out his three new offerings with boosted strength. Tears. Calm and Juice.
These are not on sale yet but will be soon. They are a massive improvement with strong recognisable notes, you know what is on the label you are now getting.
View attachment 96778
All the scents were stronger I'd say around a 6- 7 out of the tub, not up with A&E but due to U.K and E.U restrictions they can't be.
Jonny explained he has to adhere to the regulations and explained how his fragrances are tested then he is told what percentage he can legally add to his soaps. The U.S have no such restrictions as anyone who has ever had frag burn will attest to.
We then discussed some new fragrances he had brought on strips for upcoming soaps he may be releasing in the future. I can't say exactly what they are but believe me they will be worth the wait, they are all awesome. if he goes ahead he will have 100% winners on his hands as are the new upped fragraced offerings.

Jonny was kind enough to listen and take in my ramblings, gracious and modest, we talked all things shaving and honestly it was fantastic to have another shaving 'Nutter' face to face over a pint. Even if the pangs of guilt that I couldn't buy a pint bit really deep, as a Yorkshire Man, we aren't known for chucking money around but we always stand our round.
The guilt got worse however when Jonny told me I could keep the 3 tubs he had brought along. I honestly was frankly Gobsmacked, I can not thank him enough for his generosity. I'm now the proud first owner of these new improved soaps and cannot wait to lather them up.
We all know the Shaving Family is full of generous people and Jonny is another one of those fine folk who is willing to give his time as a busy Artisan to come and meet an old soak like me and listen to his nonsense for an hour and actually understand where I was coming from.
If you haven't tried Lothur Soaps yet and have been put off by the reviews of weak scents, from me but great performance, believe me that is about to change and I can wholeheartedly recommend that when these are relased you will not be disappointed. They will be the full package.
He is a quandry over Dave, it is, if you are not familar, named after his sadly passed Father and he doesn't know whether to keep it as an unscented ( popular with many) or to rebrand it. Whatever he does it will be a fitting tribute to his Dad and a lovely touch from a truly nice Guy.
Thanks for a great evening Jonny, it was a pleasure and an honour. I wish you every success.
Thanks for the update Wayne, Lothur should have no problem sitting at the top once those new scent strengths release.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Great update, although I’m a little disappointed as before I bought my tubs I messaged to ask if these were the newer base with stronger scents and was told they were. I’ve loved the soaps performance, but still thought the scents were quite low, sounds like I wasn’t given the newer ones after all.
I cannot attest to that mate. I am judging scent strength based on my own tub of Dave which is basically scentless.
 

LTHURJONNY

Veteran
I had a very nice hour and a bit this evening outside The Mustard Pot Pub, here in Leeds, West Yorkshire, meeting up with Jonny the Artisan behind Lothur Soaps.
He contacted me after my musings on his Soap, Dave and as we are both Leeds Lads he offered to meet me sometime to let me sniff his new improved scents and give him my feedback
We met and sat down in this glorious Sunshine in a pub that didn't take cash or card, just some ridiculous payment by an app, I didn't even have a QR reader so in shame I had to let Jonny buy me a pint. Bloody stupid the depths this country has plunged to when it doesn't even accept coin of the realm anymore.
Rant over. He brought his inspitation for his soaps which was a Zingari Man Soap, The Navigator, we started by discussing this soap and it's almost non existant fragrance. It is supposed to contain Amber, Marine notes and Musk. That should be a strong fragrance especially being A. American and B. Containing Amber and Musk. Sadly it is a major let down. I explained my reasoning behind why I said I didn't enjoy Dave when I bought it.
It isn't the packaging, the soap or the performance, they are all really good, it was the scent strength, I said "When I buy a soap that is scented and I struggle to pick that sent up I basically feel cheated" He was kind enough to understand and agree.
He then got out his three new offerings with boosted strength. Tears. Calm and Juice.
These are not on sale yet but will be soon. They are a massive improvement with strong recognisable notes, you know what is on the label you are now getting.
View attachment 96778
All the scents were stronger I'd say around a 6- 7 out of the tub, not up with A&E but due to U.K and E.U restrictions they can't be.
Jonny explained he has to adhere to the regulations and explained how his fragrances are tested then he is told what percentage he can legally add to his soaps. The U.S have no such restrictions as anyone who has ever had frag burn will attest to.
We then discussed some new fragrances he had brought on strips for upcoming soaps he may be releasing in the future. I can't say exactly what they are but believe me they will be worth the wait, they are all awesome. if he goes ahead he will have 100% winners on his hands as are the new upped fragraced offerings.

Jonny was kind enough to listen and take in my ramblings, gracious and modest, we talked all things shaving and honestly it was fantastic to have another shaving 'Nutter' face to face over a pint. Even if the pangs of guilt that I couldn't buy a pint bit really deep, as a Yorkshire Man, we aren't known for chucking money around but we always stand our round.
The guilt got worse however when Jonny told me I could keep the 3 tubs he had brought along. I honestly was frankly Gobsmacked, I can not thank him enough for his generosity. I'm now the proud first owner of these new improved soaps and cannot wait to lather them up.
We all know the Shaving Family is full of generous people and Jonny is another one of those fine folk who is willing to give his time as a busy Artisan to come and meet an old soak like me and listen to his nonsense for an hour and actually understand where I was coming from.
If you haven't tried Lothur Soaps yet and have been put off by the reviews of weak scents, from me but great performance, believe me that is about to change and I can wholeheartedly recommend that when these are relased you will not be disappointed. They will be the full package.
He is a quandry over Dave, it is, if you are not familar, named after his sadly passed Father and he doesn't know whether to keep it as an unscented ( popular with many) or to rebrand it. Whatever he does it will be a fitting tribute to his Dad and a lovely touch from a truly nice Guy.
Thanks for a great evening Jonny, it was a pleasure and an honour. I wish you every success.
It was great meeting up, next round is on you 😁. Thank you so much for the kind words Wayne. I will give an update on here and on my Instagram when all new stock is replenished with the all new everything. splashes will follow with the new seasonal soap which you smelt I was thinking the one you have as an EDT of for the first introduction?
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
It was great meeting up, next round is on you 😁. Thank you so much for the kind words Wayne. I will give an update on here and on my Instagram when all new stock is replenished with the all new everything. splashes will follow with the new seasonal soap which you smelt I was thinking the one you have as an EDT of for the first introduction?
Jonny, the next time we do meet up you'll end up legless and it will not cost you a penny, we'll find somewhere that takes actual money.
 

N0ggie

Forum GOD!
I had a very nice hour and a bit this evening outside The Mustard Pot Pub, here in Leeds, West Yorkshire, meeting up with Jonny the Artisan behind Lothur Soaps.
He contacted me after my musings on his Soap, Dave and as we are both Leeds Lads he offered to meet me sometime to let me sniff his new improved scents and give him my feedback
We met and sat down in this glorious Sunshine in a pub that didn't take cash or card, just some ridiculous payment by an app, I didn't even have a QR reader so in shame I had to let Jonny buy me a pint. Bloody stupid the depths this country has plunged to when it doesn't even accept coin of the realm anymore.
Rant over. He brought his inspitation for his soaps which was a Zingari Man Soap, The Navigator, we started by discussing this soap and it's almost non existant fragrance. It is supposed to contain Amber, Marine notes and Musk. That should be a strong fragrance especially being A. American and B. Containing Amber and Musk. Sadly it is a major let down. I explained my reasoning behind why I said I didn't enjoy Dave when I bought it.
It isn't the packaging, the soap or the performance, they are all really good, it was the scent strength, I said "When I buy a soap that is scented and I struggle to pick that sent up I basically feel cheated" He was kind enough to understand and agree.
He then got out his three new offerings with boosted strength. Tears. Calm and Juice.
These are not on sale yet but will be soon. They are a massive improvement with strong recognisable notes, you know what is on the label you are now getting.
View attachment 96778
All the scents were stronger I'd say around a 6- 7 out of the tub, not up with A&E but due to U.K and E.U restrictions they can't be.
Jonny explained he has to adhere to the regulations and explained how his fragrances are tested then he is told what percentage he can legally add to his soaps. The U.S have no such restrictions as anyone who has ever had frag burn will attest to.
We then discussed some new fragrances he had brought on strips for upcoming soaps he may be releasing in the future. I can't say exactly what they are but believe me they will be worth the wait, they are all awesome. if he goes ahead he will have 100% winners on his hands as are the new upped fragraced offerings.

Jonny was kind enough to listen and take in my ramblings, gracious and modest, we talked all things shaving and honestly it was fantastic to have another shaving 'Nutter' face to face over a pint. Even if the pangs of guilt that I couldn't buy a pint bit really deep, as a Yorkshire Man, we aren't known for chucking money around but we always stand our round.
The guilt got worse however when Jonny told me I could keep the 3 tubs he had brought along. I honestly was frankly Gobsmacked, I can not thank him enough for his generosity. I'm now the proud first owner of these new improved soaps and cannot wait to lather them up.
We all know the Shaving Family is full of generous people and Jonny is another one of those fine folk who is willing to give his time as a busy Artisan to come and meet an old soak like me and listen to his nonsense for an hour and actually understand where I was coming from.
If you haven't tried Lothur Soaps yet and have been put off by the reviews of weak scents, from me but great performance, believe me that is about to change and I can wholeheartedly recommend that when these are relased you will not be disappointed. They will be the full package.
He is a quandry over Dave, it is, if you are not familar, named after his sadly passed Father and he doesn't know whether to keep it as an unscented ( popular with many) or to rebrand it. Whatever he does it will be a fitting tribute to his Dad and a lovely touch from a truly nice Guy.
Thanks for a great evening Jonny, it was a pleasure and an honour. I wish you every success.
What a great story Wayne, I was shocked that Jonny actually appeared here on ATG but you meeting up with him I think is a big deal in the shaving community. Credit to him for doing that also listening to you & other ATG members feedback. I am happy with my first purchase of Lothur & look forward to the development of the brand & products.
Me being Leeds born 'n' bred it's cool to think we have one of the top brands being local.
Think I will use mine up a little faster so I have an excuse to restock.
Thank you both. :thumbsup:
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
What a great story Wayne, I was shocked that Jonny actually appeared here on ATG but you meeting up with him I think is a big deal in the shaving community. Credit to him for doing that also listening to you & other ATG members feedback. I am happy with my first purchase of Lothur & look forward to the development of the brand & products.
Me being Leeds born 'n' bred it's cool to think we have one of the top brands being local.
Think I will use mine up a little faster so I have an excuse to restock.
Thank you both. :thumbsup:
Why not come along next time mate? The more the merrier. You'd be very welcome and I don't bite, can't speak for Jonny though. I actually do come up with decent ideas now and again, no idea how though. I think I impressed, well he didn't tell me to pee off, he may have just being kind. I can see me getting a new role in promo and development when he's a massive success
 
Last edited:

Wayne

Forum Sod
It was great meeting up, next round is on you 😁. Thank you so much for the kind words Wayne. I will give an update on here and on my Instagram when all new stock is replenished with the all new everything. splashes will follow with the new seasonal soap which you smelt I was thinking the one you have as an EDT of for the first introduction?
I'll take #1 of that one please Jonny :D :D I cannot wait for the seasonal offering mate. I fell in love at first sniff
 

N0ggie

Forum GOD!
Why not come along next time mate? The more the merrier. You'd be very welcome and I don't bite, can't speak for Jonny though. I actually do come up with decent ideas now and again, no idea how though. I think I impressed, well he didn't tell me to pee off, he may have just being kind. I can see me getting a new role in promo and development when he's a massive success
That's great, yes I will come along. A chance to meet you & Jonny.
Let me know & thank you :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:

StuartC

Veteran
Zingari |Man and A&E soaps have been subjected to and passed the same UK/EU testing regulations as Lothur which is why we are legally allowed to sell them here.

They face and have to meet exactly the same restrictions.
 

LTHURJONNY

Veteran
Zingari |Man and A&E soaps have been subjected to and passed the same UK/EU testing regulations as Lothur which is why we are legally allowed to sell them here.

They face and have to meet exactly the same restrictions.
That’s great, the reason Dave and Juice have a limit of 5% is due to the chemical compounds used which are restricted. Tears and Calm have no such restrictions so they can be used at higher levels but due to restricted materials Dave and Juice cannot be. Something I have learnt going forwards to avoid compounds which don’t have these restrictions. So not all fragrances have limits but some do depending on the materials used. I’m sure when they had things tested over here and in the EU they will have been given the safety limits of the fragrances they use and the amount of each individual chemicals amount allowed.
 
Top