Making an Aluminum Brush Handle

twhite

Speling Bea Champyun
I started making 3 brush handles for myself. I figured to give it a shot in Aluminum. Last year i had my work print me out some 3D printed brushes from Nylon. I have been wanting to make a few more handles. So I came up with this design for my current project.
brush.png

I will post some pictures of the handles once they are off the machine.

Tom
 

wazza

a dog got personality
The printed once do look ace, they look smooooooth.
Cant wait to see the end resul of the ali one.
What knots are gracing the handles?
 

twhite

Speling Bea Champyun
The printed once do look ace, they look smooooooth.
Cant wait to see the end resul of the ali one.
What knots are gracing the handles?
All 3 knots are from Whipped Dog. All are 24mm set 10 mm deep. Starring left to right. Synthetic, Boar, and Pure Black Badger. My favorite is the Badger, nice backbone and scritchy. Then the Pure Black not quite as much of but very nice. The synthetic is really soft feeling but not enough backbone for my liking. The synthetic however can make the best lather of the 3. I use them all in rotation.

I do need to figure out where I will source my next batch of knots. I will go the same route. Boar, synthetic and I want to try a nice 2 band.
Suggestions are always welcome and encouraged. As I am new to this game.

Tom
 

wazza

a dog got personality
All 3 knots are from Whipped Dog. All are 24mm set 10 mm deep. Starring left to right. Synthetic, Boar, and Pure Black Badger. My favorite is the Badger, nice backbone and scritchy. Then the Pure Black not quite as much of but very nice. The synthetic is really soft feeling but not enough backbone for my liking. The synthetic however can make the best lather of the 3. I use them all in rotation.

I do need to figure out where I will source my next batch of knots. I will go the same route. Boar, synthetic and I want to try a nice 2 band.
Suggestions are always welcome and encouraged. As I am new to this game.

Tom
I put together a list of places to buy knots.

http://www.atgshaving.com/threads/places-to-buy-brush-knots.2345/

My personal favorite is a finest knot. I mostly face lather and find it has plenty of back bone for that, if I dont use the finest then its a boar. I've got a black badger knot on the way myself to try out.
 

twhite

Speling Bea Champyun
Here are some pictures of the handles fresh out of the machine. As I do not have access to a Lathe or a 4 axis Mill. I made this on a 3 axis mill. The finish is rough looking but will smooth out quickly with some 220. I will be making the bore on these 3 at 24mm and depth of 15 mm. That way I can plat with the depth to try to dial in the knot to my liking. I will be heading back to work tomorrow and put the bores in. Then have fun sanding and polishing next week after work.

Tom
 

twhite

Speling Bea Champyun

wazza

a dog got personality
No worries. Liking the handle, looks a good size. Im assuming we have the same size hands though haha.
 
Top