Maker's Marks

chip

George Wostenholm has several stamps. the one that says 1850 September 10th. does anyone know what year they would have stopped using that.

I've seen them up for sale, people saying it's an 1880s or it's 1860s but it's stamped 1850. so I was just wondering when would they have used that stamp lastScreenshot_20231118-074756.png

R181

Grumpy old man
Precise information on old razors is pretty hit and miss. Normally the best you can hope for is an approximated date of give or take a decade. You may not find a definitive answer to your question.

Bob

chip

Precise information on old razors is pretty hit and miss. Normally the best you can hope for is an approximated date of give or take a decade. You may not find a definitive answer to your question.

Bob
that's what I started out thinking, and then I was proven wrong LOL. I have just read random post that sparked an interest and people know some stuff I asked them where they got that information and somebody would tell me they died 15 years ago LOL

I pretty much figure that it is hit and miss, I was just hoping one of those people that just has some random knowledge stored in their head would just say, oh yeah, the last time they used the IXL 1850 stamp was in 1867 LOL or 1972. I'm still hopeful somebody will actually no. I've learned a lot of other stuff trying to find out LOL

somebody somewhere posted a picture of all of the stamps out of some registry or something? I wish I knew where that book was at

TobyC

Patriot
George Wostenholm "died at Kenwood on 18 August 1876, aged 74, from long-standing prostate disease and kidney stones."

But the trademark is (I believe) still in use today on knives.

TobyC

Patriot
WOSTENHOLM, GEORGE
Sheffield
1797 - 1823 ("Old Sheffield Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, December 1922 p.261-267)

GEORGE WOSTENHOLM & SON
Successors to George Wostenholm in 1823 ("Old Sheffield Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, December 1922 p.261-267)
Rockingham Works ca. 1694 - 1847
Washington Works, Sheffield ca. 1847 - at least 1991

chip

George Wostenholm "died at Kenwood on 18 August 1876, aged 74, from long-standing prostate disease and kidney stones."

But the trademark is (I believe) still in use today on knives.
Screenshot_20231127-142028.pngthis is the specific one I'm trying to figure out last time they used it. but it never fails, when you know nothing you're always learning something LOL. thank you for replying