Mad Dogs and Wetshavers go out in the midday sun

KAV

Well-Known Member
One hundred and five degrees Fahrenheit today and I'm in a valley that receives some cooling from canyon currents carrying cooler ocean air. I stooped so low as to make that American abomination of iced tea and have been living on it all day and little else with end of the month food on hand rather unappealing anyway.
So, I shaved and adopted a very radical approach. I used ICEWATER to lather and Mitchells was passed over with a instinctive recoil of anything fat for the floral Pre de Provence. I've viewed those old WW2 black and white stills of infantrymen shaving in winter out of a helmet with cold water. I've been avoiding hot water lately but this was an extreme swing.
It works! I celebrated an excellent shave with the last generous splash of my FLOID blue. Sadly it's to hot to walk anywhere and show off my handsome self.
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
We’d happily have some of that heat here. It’s been a miserable summer and the need for an ice water shave sadly absent.

I guess what aim saying, Kav, is that both our glasses can be viewed as half full :)
 
Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
If you are old enough, me, and live outside the US you remember the old F temperatures. Love the look on my nephew's face when I talk mpg and not liters per 100 kms. Different system, different generation.

As for cold water shaving, I have been doing that year round for about 4 years now. Works very well for me but is not everyone's cup of tea.

Bob
 

KAV

Well-Known Member
I am comfortable with metric. I still define my world by older systems like a native language. I have a collection of KG Vl coins
and only my local British import shop owner appreciates my humour in putting a shilling on the counter. My preferred British cars still require Whitworth spanners. Perhaps my greatest triumph in arcane measure was at a shooting range. A collector had discovered a Imperial Russian Nagant rifle and noticed I had a Remington of the same model produced for the Czar's armies in WW1. He couldn't get it to sight in and thought something wrong. I was putting my shots in group and had to explain
ARSHAMS; an old Russian measure. A UK archaeologist has proposed, along with Ley Lines a prehistoric unit of measure he insists can be demonstrated.
All I know is cold feels good in hot weather.
 
Top