Learning to shave with the Feather Artist Club

wintoid

Out of control
Whilst we're in isolation during coronavirus, I decided to try to learn how to shave with the Feather Artist Club. I'm doing videoconferences reasonably regularly, but it's still probably less of a problem if I cut my face, so I figured this was a really good opportunity.

So far, this is my progress...

Day 1 - Saturday - 3-pass shave with Feather Proguard in Feather SS, using a DE for the moustache area and end of chin - no cuts, patchy shave
Day 2 - Sunday - 3-pass shave with Feather Proguard in Feather DX, using a DE for the moustache area and end of chin - no cuts, patchy shave
Day 3 - Monday - 3-pass shave with Feather Professional in Feather SS, using a DE for the moustache area only - no cuts! shave was less patchy
Day 4 - Tuesday - Feather Professional in Feather SS - something went horribly wrong and I had to switch to a DE after 2 passes - several cuts, obviously too confident

So I'm trying to work out the right strategy for tomorrow. I think I'm going to stick to the Feather SS for now, but not sure whether to keep persevering with the Professional blade. I felt like the Proguard wasn't teaching me anything, and the Professional is definitely less tuggy.

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Good effort so far especially with the feather professional, that blade takes no prisoners. Sounds like technique is still to be improved upon. I say this as the Feather proguard I don't find to tug in a SE or cut throat. I have quite thick stubble too. I'm sure you know what you are doing; taught skin, light pressure correct angle. Sometimes it is just a case of practice till that lightbulb moment arrives.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Put it down to theProfessional blade - I don’t like them at all - and the increased width increases blade exposure. In my opinion, they are good for cutting hair only. I’ve tried most types of SE blades (Feather, Kai, Kamisori, Schick etc.) and now use Schick only and find that they are smooth right from first shave, although they don’t last as long as Feather. To be honest, I didn’t rate the Proguard either - so, if you have an alternative, I’d give that a go. Also, while you’re on the learning curve, maybe stick to the one razor only. I’ve only ever had the DX so can’t comment on the SS and it also occurs to me that you didn’t mention whether you are using a folding or straight version. Again, my experience with folding straights is that you get more control using the scales than you can achieve with just a straight handle.

Final thought, apart from Schick blades, all the others I used to run through a cork a few times before first use. If I didn’t then blood was more or less assured.

wintoid

Out of control
Thanks both.

I think you're right, I need to stick to one razor for now. I'll be going with the SS as people seem to say it's easier to master for beginners.

Both the razors I have are folding. I've previously had the kamisori version and couldn't master it, but then I've never had the opportunity to use it for successive days.

The place I find most difficult to shave is the lower neck on the side of my non-dominant hand. Getting the blade oriented correctly in 3D seems to give my brain some sort of weird workout. Oddly, this isn't where I cut myself though!

I've been pleasantly surprised how much skin-stretching lets me avoid having to shave around the corners of the jaw.

wintoid

Out of control
P.S. I've been using MDC exclusively. I don't know why, it just feels like perhaps the super-fatted american soaps are the wrong choice for a shavette. Not that I know what I'm talking about!

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
P.S. I've been using MDC exclusively. I don't know why, it just feels like perhaps the super-fatted american soaps are the wrong choice for a shavette. Not that I know what I'm talking about!
Strangely I prefer other soaps to MdC for straight razor shaving. Thin (not always the case with MdC) and very slick, so the likes of Sterling and AOS, D.R.Harris are my preference.

Rasorium

Legendary Member
Great thread. I’ll be watching this closely, I keep threatening to try this razor...I suspect it will be when the wretched pandemic is over.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Thanks both.

I think you're right, I need to stick to one razor for now. I'll be going with the SS as people seem to say it's easier to master for beginners.

Both the razors I have are folding. I've previously had the kamisori version and couldn't master it, but then I've never had the opportunity to use it for successive days.

The place I find most difficult to shave is the lower neck on the side of my non-dominant hand. Getting the blade oriented correctly in 3D seems to give my brain some sort of weird workout. Oddly, this isn't where I cut myself though!

I've been pleasantly surprised how much skin-stretching lets me avoid having to shave around the corners of the jaw.
Just realised that you were using the Feather Pro whereas I was thinking of the Pro Super which is the bigger blade so ignore that part of my earlier post.

Razorman

Forum GOD!
I don’t use mine anymore as I prefer the DE, SE format. Interestingly, I taught my wife how to use it and it became her favorite. At first she would get irritation using Feather blades but likes using Kai Protouch mild. It’s a guarded blade that she feels confident and comfortable using.

Last edited:

wintoid

Out of control
In addition to the Proguards and Professionals, I do have Kai mild pinks and Schick Prolines, but that may be too many variables. I keep thinking about what @Nishy said, that the Proguard shouldn't be tuggy. Perhaps there's a (safe) lesson there that I've failed to learn.

I was so pleased to shave with the Professional on Monday with no cuts, and so disappointed on Tuesday. Part of me thinks I should try the Professional again today, and part of me thinks that I should back up a bit. I'll make a last-minute decision in an hour or so.

p.b

Forum GOD!
I have maybe 45-50 shaves on my folding SS and nearly all of those have been with the proguard. I get really good shaves with that combination and it gave me confidence because I did cut myself on the few shaves I had with an unguarded blade. However this thread has inspired me to try an unguarded blade again.

wintoid

Out of control
Day 5

So I went with the folding SS and the Professional blade. I got the worst cut I've had in 36 years of wet shaving. I need to learn from this. I was trying to go against the grain on the face for my second pass. Definitely too ambitious.

I think at this point the next step is obvious for me. I'm going to go back to the Proguard blade in the SS, and try to build up the muscle memory. I'll stick to multiple WTG passes until I'm at least into double digits, and then re-evaluate. I'm going to concentrate on trying to work out how to reduce the tugginess from the Proguard. There's a lesson there waiting to be learned, in relative safety. I have never cut myself with a Proguard.

Last edited:

p.b

Forum GOD!
This morning I shaved with a Feather Light. I received these blades free and I thought they might be a good start with an unguarded blade. However, they are very tuggy. Because they are not as wide as a standard Feather they protrude less so to get a cutting edge the angle needs to be steeper and I think it’s this that causes the tugging. It took three passes to get an average shave. On the plus side this is the first time I’ve used an unguarded blade am avoided cutting myself. Back to the proguards for five shaves as that’s all I have with me at the moment and then either a Schick or a Pro to see if I can get a good, cut free shave from a decent unguarded blade.

thanks for inspiring me to pick it up again.

wintoid

Out of control
Definitely interested to hear how you get on. Please keep posting updates :)

From what I read, almost no one likes the Light blades.

Reactions: p.b