Lather palaver

Matthews2250

Well-Known Member
As I've more recently got back into lathering properly, rather than using lazier canned goods, I've come to the conclusion that I have a problem. And it's not the quality of my lather...

It's just that it goes EVERYWHERE! As I build my lovely lather it froths and foams over the edge of my Edwin Jagger shaving mug/bowl and all over my hands.

I'm using an Edwin Jagger super Badger hair brush, which fills the vessel amply so suspect that's the issue. So is the problem that my brush is too big, or my bowl too small?
 

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
As I've more recently got back into lathering properly, rather than using lazier canned goods, I've come to the conclusion that I have a problem. And it's not the quality of my lather...

It's just that it goes EVERYWHERE! As I build my lovely lather it froths and foams over the edge of my Edwin Jagger shaving mug/bowl and all over my hands.

I'm using an Edwin Jagger super Badger hair brush, which fills the vessel amply so suspect that's the issue. So is the problem that my brush is too big, or my bowl too small?
Try a larger bowl and if that works you have found the answer, any bowl will do, borrow the dogs bowl just to test! :) P.
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
The Edwin Jagger bowls are very small if they’re the ones I’m thinking of. You need a MANSIZED bowl at least 12cm across.
 

lloydrm

Forum GOD!
Too much water too early, imo.
I sometimes lather on a loose piece of soap on my hand. As long as don’t hit my fingers with the brush it doesn’t get terribly messy.
 

dadant

Forum GOD!
It shouldn't be frothy or foamy i.e full of bubbles....at least not when it's ready to use anyway. I'm guessing you're using a cream? Either way wring your brush out properly and add water a bit at a time so it doesn't explode out of the bowl.
 
Last edited:

Matthews2250

Well-Known Member
It shouldn't be frothy or foamy i.e full of bubbles....at least not when it's ready to use anyway. I'm guessing your using a cream? Either way wring your brush out properly and add water a bit at a time so it doesn't explode out of the bowl.
Yes, end result is a nice creamy lather. Just tends to make a mess on the journey to that point You guess correctly on the cream! I'll give less water a go, usually drain off the brush fairly substantially but let's see what an extra squeeze does.
 

Matsilainen

Forum GOD!
I'll give less water a go, usually drain off the brush fairly substantially but let's see what an extra squeeze does.
This sounds like a good idea to me. Once you have the soap from the bowl loaded into your brush, you can always continue building the lather on your face by adding a few drops of water onto the brush from time to time.
 
Top