Kick starter projects

MPH

Forum GOD!
Hi

I've seen many of the members here discuss "kick starter" projects and I know some of you have joined up to some so I am just asking for some advice.

I've seen one that's may be of interest to me (a watch), so I had a quick look, but am I right in thinking that there is no guarantee that you will actually receive a product, or your money back? For instance they say "if you pledge $X then you'll get a watch", but could it be that you actually just get nothing at all if they balls it all up, and its just tough luck???

Just wondering if I've miss read something, or if you'd get your money back if it all went wrong???

Thanks.

Matt
 

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
It's speculative, based on the good intentions of the project creators. In almost every case, you're backing a project, not buying a marketed finished product (as you would if you went to do so online or from a shop).

I've backed several razor projects on Kickstarter. All came good in the end, often after significant delays and setbacks. One, a second project from someone I'd previously backed successfully, had overrun by a year or so. The creator is a straightforward, honest chap and I, and anyone else who couldn't or wouldn't sit it out, were offered and received refunds of our stake money. That, however, is, I suspect, the exception rather than the rule.

I have backed other things (but not a watch), including a cycle accessory project where I eventually got what I backed, but the creator ran out of money/time/steam, and others did not.

In summary, you are risking your money with no absolute guarantee that you will receive it back if the project fails, or the thing you have backed doesn't come through. That said, the usual problem is that the project timetables, especially for "ground-up" manufactured things, are often hopelessly optimistic. That's mainly because many people probably won't back something if, up front, the creator says it'll take x years before it comes to fruition. Delays then lead to frustration, and a barrage of adverse comments on the Kickstarter project page, and elsewhere.

The other thing to consider is the amount of money you invest, and whether you could afford to lose it. Speaking personally, I set myself a limit, and "travel in hope", but ever-mindful that things could go pear-shaped.

My own experience is that the thing isn't infested with rogues and knaves, but there have been some really bad apples and unhappy experiences for some backers. All in all, it's a calculated risk, especially if the project is entirely new and the creator is a totally unknown quantity. The upside is that with razor projects like Supply, Blackland, Rockwell 6S and others, they have come through difficulties, the creators now have excellent products and good businesses, and those of us who backed them initially have the warm glow of fond godparents, basking in their sucesses.

I don't see a specific answer to your question, but it may be worth your having a look at the Kickstarter "Backer Questions" to get an idea of the possible issues. They're here:-
https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/categories/115000499033-Backer-questions
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
If project is not fully funded, then no cost. Your credit card is not charged unless fully funded at end date. Kickstarter does have some safety measures (prototype required for example).

For shaving, Rockwell, Blackbird, and Occam's Razor have been fully funded kickstarter projects. The Rockwell model T is 2 years behind schedule, however, refunds offered. My favorite Kickstarter was Danish fossflakes pillows - wished I bought more.

Less than 10% of the Kickstarter projects fail or do not deliver the reward (per Kickstarter). Guessing more unhappy with the reward. If the price is exceptional and the item "floats your boat," worth a gamble.
 

MPH

Forum GOD!
Thanks!

I've not really got into kick starter before, so I'm somewhat suspicious!!! Lol. Thanks for your opinions. :)
 

MrK1

Forum GOD!
I have backed a few projects on Kickstarter, the Blackland Blackbird, Rockwell 6s and T, a couple of pens, and a Tablet screen called the super screen.

Didn't have any problems with the Blackbird and the pens.
The 6s came through eventually and I was able to get a refund on the T. I think that was due to the great customer service from the Rockwell guys rather than any legal obligation.

The super screen was listed as a dumb 10in tablet screen that could mirror any phone it connected to. I think the initial price was around $99. It was set to ship in Dec 17

I backed it , but cancelled my pledge a couple of days before it got funded. I was fortunate. The whole thing uad been set back for a year, almost every comment on the thread is askig for a refund which are all ignored by the seller.

Some people ordered more than 1 and have lost out.
It may get produced in the end, but the whole customer service bit has been shocking.

Superscreen – Supercharge your phone with a 10.1″ HD display, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brentmorgan/superscreen


And don't forget what happened to the Pebble 2.


Just something to think about.
 
Last edited:
Top