Is it good advice for a beginner?

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Sure thing, @chris.hale . We all have our experiences that color our perceptions and opinions. Hope no one thinks they need to agree or change because of anything I wrote.

Like I said, it is Bob's thread. I just feel that for a someone new to vintage blade holders, the enjoyment is trying out different products and doing so with minimal expense. A sample pack is cheap fun.
 

chazt

shave
Buy a razor and blades which are both popular for general use, then just shave with them. Stick with the same soap / cream for a while too

if you sometimes get a "bad" shave with cuts or razor burn then it's some part of your process that's not yet correct.

When you get a really good shave, stop and think afterwards about what you might have done differently.

The differences between different razors and different blades is not totally night and day - its subtle differences which are likely to be dwarfed by the things you are learning like good face prep, correct shaving angle, correct skin stretching and correct pressure to use.

Basically, imo, just get some kit that has a good rep for beginners / general shaving and just ...... go slowly, go gently and enjoy it.
A solid post with good advice.
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I was thinking about this thread when asking myself if someone had less than $30 to invest, would the advice change or remain the same?

I remember discovering I could get a Schick Krona for less than $10 from eBay. Now I have $20 left. What’s the next step that would allow me to stay within my budget.

Another factor is frequency and facial hair. Some members have a beard and just shave the neck and clean up. Others shave once a week. How’s that going to factor into the recommendations.
 

UKRob

Forum GOD!
What we need to remember is that wet shaving encompasses a whole lot of different experiences. I have used a brush and hard soap or soft soap for 50 plus years - the variable being the type of razor. For many year, my badger bush and soap were complemented by a cartridge razor that served me well until I started with straight razors. So, in my experience, the closest shave is straight razor - after that, cartridge is as good or better than any single edge blade that I’ve ever used - and, I’ve used quite a lot.
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
+1, and minimal selection :D
Top 10 Sampler
ASTRA - Superior PlatinumPersonna - Lab BlueGillette - Silver BlueVoskhodGillette - 7 0'Clock - SharpEdgeDerby - ExtraASTRA - Superior StainlessWilkinson - Sword (German)Gillette - 7 0'Clock - Super StainlessGillette - Nacet Stainless
$2.84
 
Top