iPhone 7 - are you getting one?

Are you getting the new iPhone 7?

  • Yes, as soon as they are available I'm getting one

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Not immediately...but probably sometime next year

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • No. Happy with my phone and can't see myself justifying getting this one.

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • I hate Apple

    Votes: 10 30.3%

  • Total voters
    33

Darkbulb

Member #10
A few blocks away from me here in San Francisco Apple is announcing a slew of new (read: slightly different) products - one of them being the iPhone 7.

(The live stream of it can be seen here when using a safari browser: http://www.apple.com/apple-events/september-2016/)


Some changes; the larger iPhone 7 is supposedly sporting a camera that rivals many dSLRs, improved water resistance and there will not be a separate headphone jack any more.

So, are you getting one?

Me, I got a 6s for six months ago and can't see myself switching over quite yet (even though technically I could sell my used 6s and buy a new 7 for $200 or so. We'll see.)
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
My iPhone 5 has started to develop negative character traits... so, possibly. On the other hand, the contract is costing me next to nothing - which I why I haven't bothered with the previous gen.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
No, I've had an iPhone SE for less than a month. TBH based on previous releases I'm expecting an evolution of the current version, which would not be a compelling reason to upgrade unless you have a 5s or older.

I have today just done an OTA update to IOS 9.3.5 on a five year old iPhone 4s. I know it won't get updates beyond that, but with that kind of support lifespan I don't see a new iPhone in my life for at least a couple of years.
 

Darkbulb

Member #10
No, I've had an iPhone SE for less than a month. TBH based on previous releases I'm expecting an evolution of the current version, which would not be a compelling reason to upgrade unless you have a 5s or older.

I have today just done an OTA update to IOS 9.3.5 on a five year old iPhone 4s. I know it won't get updates beyond that, but with that kind of support lifespan I don't see a new iPhone in my life for at least a couple of years.
Yeah I have the 6s and will have a hard time justifying an update to the 7.
If the rumors are true about the "10 year anniversary phone" coming out in ten months maybe I'll do that :D

San Francisco/Silicon Valley might be a bit of an edge case when it comes to smart phone ownership...NOT having the latest iPhone is such a tech-status faux pas around here that if you're in a meeting with some clients and pull out an iPhone 5-something these days..there's a perception that comes with that this is not favorable. I'm not saying that this in any way shape or form is sane or should be condoned - it's a rather sad state of affair that you have not only a social 'pressure' to have the latest and greatest silver bullet but you also have the risk of not 'coming across well' w/in professional settings here.

Sometimes I miss my Treo 650. That was a great phone.
 

llalm

Über Member
I just picked up my first iPhone last year (6s) coming from using android phones for years. I think I can wait maybe next year for another release. 6s is currently running smoothly which I am content and satisfied.

No need to replace something that still works. (wetshaving)
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Used to watch all the latest apple releases as well as being up to date so to speak with their hardware. My first ever desktop back in the early 90's was an iMac excellent piece of kit, I still rate their laptops and desktops highly having used far too many VAIO and similar. With phones however, I prefer the flexibility of android as a platform.
 

wazza

a dog got personality
I could have upgraded a year ago but chose not too and to stick with my 5s. The main reason was that I didnt want a massive phone like the 6. So I considered android but every friend I know with one has hassle, crap batteries, broken screens, software crashes etc. I've never had a problem with my 3, 4 or 5 and in the past I've broken many a phone. My 5s looks rough, dropped from height, down stairs, into water, covered in mud and dusty conditions at work, so I'll stick with apple but not sure if I'll upgrade just yet.
I've still got an ipod which even went through a 40 degree wash and some how worked.
Considered an se but just going to hold out and see if prices drop next year.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
So, the specs are confirmed and the only thing I wish I had is the waterproofing. I also dislike the size of the 6S, so as I expected I'm not excited.

I'm going to see what happens with the SE, but having never actually dropped a phone into water the one I have is probably going to do me fine.
 

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I use my IPhone as an Internet radio most of the time and a Motorola razr as my mobile phone (still impressed with the design and still feel like I am on the enterprise every time I use it). That said, I will be getting the Iphone 7 when it is released as I fancy pairing it with the wireless ear buds.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Nope. I've had enough of extortionate contracts. My iPhone 6 does everything I'll ever need a dog n bone to do. I'll stick a sim only in it.
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
I normally get the new iPhone(7) and give my son my year old phone(6s) Then take his old phone and sell on eBay (6). I did not see the "Apple Show" yet so unsure of new features besides slightly faster, slightly lighter and slightly better camera.

My home phone is a Nexus 5x. Friend was over, had a few drinks, borrowed the Nexus, called her boyfriend, decided to drop/throw the phone on cement and now several cracks (but works). One option is new Nexus as main mobile and use the iPhone 6 for my home phone for 2016.,
 
Top