If MONEY was no object, what Soap would you buy & use?

chazt

shave
I'd noticed...... so in essence this is a pointless thread, as irrespective of what's suggested you've no intention of making any outlay.
The high cost of entry scares some people off. No matter how many times you try to convince them that the one jar of MdC will far outlast four to five jars of soft artisan soap such as PAA. To put a positive spin on both products, the upside to MdC (beyond the fact that it’s a top shelf product) is the proven long term lower cost per shave. The upside to the PAAs of the world is that although the cost per shave is higher, the more rapid turnover gives one the opportunity to perhaps try a “different flavor” if so desired.
 

DesertIguana

Forum GOD!
The high cost of entry scares some people off. No matter how many times you try to convince them that the one jar of MdC will far outlast four to five jars of soft artisan soap such as PAA. To put a positive spin on both products, the upside to MdC (beyond the fact that it’s a top shelf product) is the proven long term lower cost per shave. The upside to the PAAs of the world is that although the cost per shave is higher, the more rapid turnover gives one the opportunity to perhaps try a “different flavor” if so desired.

Well your point is on the mark, and if you are like I am. I always shower after shaving 99.99% of the time. So the only scent enjoyment I enjoy is in my bathroom while shaving. I do not use after shave as I am very allergic to bee stings. Where I live we are very close to an area with crops growing, and lots of bee hives. Bee’s love after shave smell, they think you a nice flower full of pollen.

My personal preference in scents is secondary to Lather Quality. I understand that what I call a GREAT LATHER QUALITY is an IMPORTANT FACTOR IN GETTING DFS, or BBS if that is what you seek.

My Lather quality criteria is below.

1. Lather must be Thick n Moist, to Soften Bead, consistence of THICK WHIPPED CREAM.

2. Lather must provided Slick Surface to allow Razor Blade to Glide Across, and Remove Beard.

3. Lather last should leave Fresh Shaved Skin in Great Condition.

Please chime in, if you do not agree with my observations, and idea. As my mind is always open to new ideas.

As we age our Skin gets old, wrinkled, and dry. As we got old Skin gets dries out. Shaving daily is tough on your Skin. Million Dollar Question is what is better Soap for Skin Health? Vegan, or Tallow Based?:eek:

JMHO
 
Last edited:

chazt

shave
Well your point is on the mark, and if you are like I am. I always shower after shaving 99.99% of the time. So the only scent enjoyment I enjoy is in my bathroom while shaving. I do not use after shave as I am very allergic to bee stings. Where I live we are very close to an area with crops growing, and lots of bee hives. Bee’s love after shave smell, they think you a nice flower full of pollen.

My personal preference in scents is secondary to Lather Quality. I understand that what I call a GREAT LATHER QUALITY is an IMPORTANT FACTOR IN GETTING DFS, or BBS if that is what you seek.

My Lather quality criteria is below.

1. Lather must be Thick n Moist, to Soften Bead, consistence of THICK WHIPPED CREAM.

2. Lather must provided Slick Surface to allow Razor Blade to Glide Across, and Remove Beard.

3. Lather last should leave Fresh Shaved Skin in Great Condition.

Please chime in, if you do not agree with my observations, and idea. As my mind is always open to new ideas.

As we age our Skin gets old, wrinkled, and dry. As we got old Skin gets dries out. Shaving daily is tough on your Skin. Million Dollar Question is what is better Soap for Skin Health? Vegan, or Tallow Based?:eek:

JMHO
We agree on most everything you say here, with just a few small differences. Interestingly, since retirement almost six years ago, my shave/shower regimen has become way more unpredictable in terms of order of operations. No more up at 6 am to get to work before 8, five days a week. Now, it’s whatever kind of mood I’m in. Why, some days I don’t even feel like shaving! 😲
While my face looks older, my skin itself seems just as “greasy” as ever, so that’s another small difference. The other ymmv difference is that since retirement my interest in scented soaps and aftershaves has grown quickly. Previously I had mostly been an unscented shaver with a handful of lightly scented soaps to supplement the unscented soaps.

Agreed Completely. Lather quality is vastly more important than scent. Re: your point #1.. Bear with me…at one time I too believed that a good lather must be thick and rich to really condition, etc., etc.,,, But I have Learned this in the last two to three years. Which is about when my interest in injectors and Gem shaving razors blossomed. My shaves, and my skin in general were just “better” than compared to DE shaving. Using the AC style shavettes has reinforced that for me. Here’s my point… One of the integral and elemental other changes that occurred simultaneously was my lather got wetter and thinner. I appreciate that thicker and sharper blades are superior to DE on my face, for my shaves. I find they work even better with a much wetter and thinner lather and a lighter touch.

Fresh paragraph, but really a thought continuation from the above... My next point is more of a pet peeve, really. I understand your point, it’s more about internet-forum “style” in general. In rebuttal I suggest that perhaps one should refrain from stating absolutes such as must or best in product discussions of any sort. I suggest there is no one “best.” Every person’s “best” is really his favorite and what he thinks and/or believes works best for him.

Agreed. Fresh, sharp blades and great slickness work great together! And certainly, a great soap should help to leave your skin feeling enriched. I’m guessing you’ve tried using a high quality balm to help with dry skin. I’ve only tried two balms besides Proraso pre-post; Barrister and Mann unscented and Baume.Be. They are outstanding for repairing and moisturing without any greasiness. I don’t know how they do it. The Baume is difficult to impossible to source but I strongly suggest you keep your eyes peeled for the B&M Unscented. Get past the initial cost and be good to yourself. It’s a minor indulgence and you’re worth it Man! You might also try organic, unrefined shea butter. Just a teeny tiny little dab rubbed between your palms then over your shaved face. It’s nature’s shave balm.

I’m not a dermatologist, so I can’t say if vegan soaps are “better” than tallow, or vice versa. But I can tell you what I like :wink:
 
Last edited:

DesertIguana

Forum GOD!
I use no pre or post shave products like Balms, or? Nothing but water, and a post shave hot shower. Don't do after shave, or calone, just Witch Hazel. Speaking of Dermotologists, that is my VA Appointment Today..............Dermotologist.
 
Last edited:

Randy

Forum GOD!
We agree on most everything you say here, with just a few small differences. Interestingly, since retirement almost six years ago, my shave/shower regimen has become way more unpredictable in terms of order of operations. No more up at 6 am to get to work before 8, five days a week. Now, it’s whatever kind of mood I’m in. Why, some days I don’t even feel like shaving! 😲
While my face looks older, my skin itself seems just as “greasy” as ever, so that’s another small difference. The other ymmv difference is that since retirement my interest in scented soaps and aftershaves has grown quickly. Previously I had mostly been an unscented shaver with a handful of lightly scented soaps to supplement the unscented soaps.

Agreed Completely. Lather quality is vastly more important than scent. Re: your point #1.. Bear with me…at one time I too believed that a good lather must be thick and rich to really condition, etc., etc.,,, But I have Learned this in the last two to three years. Which is about when my interest in injectors and Gem shaving razors blossomed. My shaves, and my skin in general were just “better” than compared to DE shaving. Using the AC style shavettes has reinforced that for me. Here’s my point… One of the integral and elemental other changes that occurred simultaneously was my lather got wetter and thinner. I appreciate that thicker and sharper blades are superior to DE on my face, for my shaves. I find they work even better with a much wetter and thinner lather and a lighter touch.

Fresh paragraph, but really a thought continuation from the above... My next point is more of a pet peeve, really. I understand your point, it’s more about internet-forum “style” in general. In rebuttal I suggest that perhaps one should refrain from stating absolutes such as must or best in product discussions of any sort. I suggest there is no one “best.” Every person’s “best” is really his favorite and what he thinks and/or believes works best for him.

Agreed. Fresh, sharp blades and great slickness work great together! And certainly, a great soap should help to leave your skin feeling enriched. I’m guessing you’ve tried using a high quality balm to help with dry skin. I’ve only tried two balms besides Proraso pre-post; Barrister and Mann unscented and Baume.Be. They are outstanding for repairing and moisturing without any greasiness. I don’t know how they do it. The Baume is difficult to impossible to source but I strongly suggest you keep your eyes peeled for the B&M Unscented. Get past the initial cost and be good to yourself. It’s a minor indulgence and you’re worth it Man! You might also try organic, unrefined shea butter. Just a teeny tiny little dab rubbed between your palms then over your shaved face. It’s nature’s shave balm.

I’m not a dermatologist, so I can’t say if vegan soaps are “better” than tallow, or vice versa. But I can tell you what I like :wink:
This is the main reason master Randy uses only artisan soaps.
 

chazt

shave
Well your point is on the mark…

Please chime in, if you do not agree with my observations, and idea. As my mind is always open to new ideas.
I use no pre or post shave products like Balms, or? Nothing but water, and a post shave hot shower. Don't do after shave, or calone, just Witch Hazel. Speaking of Dermotologists, that is my VA Appointment Today..............Dermotologist.
That’s it? I thought you were looking for conversation :facepalm:
 

SpeedyPC

The Dark Lord of Wet Shaving
Slickness, master lather with high density , very water tolerant , gluey texture, protection/cushion, make me say always "damn me king of shaves"
Which artisan soaps? That truly delivers this above that never fails…. I’m not interested in A&E
 

Randy

Forum GOD!
Which artisan soaps? That truly delivers this above that never fails…. I’m not interested in A&E
How did you know it was A&E ?

- Grooming Cult Orion is the first choice.
- McDuffs v4 is another one.
- Omnibus also.
- First Line Shave FLS 3.0 (though his soap is almost buttery and oily, very difficult to introduce enough water)
- Ultima, K2e obviously.
- The duck fat from Joserra (the non Vetonia base).
- Grooming Department from Mo, almost all his bases, except the latest.

Honorable mentions:

CK6 which is not so heavy on the face or gluey but it's good soap.

Southern Witchcrafts

Wickham

Phoenix & Beau the first batches with tallow (Sanskrit etc)
 
Top