If all soap brands were unscented

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Like with anything various 'flavours' or scents provide different experiences. It's a lot more appealing to buy the same brand in different scents than the same brand unscented IMO.

So if all soap brands only came truly unscented. Would you only stick to one brand? Think about the savings!
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
It is difficult for me to stick to one brand because of the different properties of the soaps. If all of them were unscented, I would still buy soaps from different brands. It is all about performance for me!
 

Matador

Über Member
Well it’s a tough question but I think I would end up with a over 100 soaps again lol.
Reason been is because every soap yes will smell the same but will perform different, example I have a few Saponificio Varesino soaps with killer Scents but yet I reach more for my ABC almost Unscented hard shaving soap because it feels better on my face, I don’t have the exotic SV scent while shaving but man the blade just dance all over my face with a perfect glide and slickness with the unscented ABC.
Both are great shaving soaps but perform like night and day at least for me ( different ingredients which play I huge roll on the soap properties and performance)
I guess it all boils down to what you are looking for in the shaving soaps ( nice exotic scents or good performance) thanks God we can have both now in days.
But I will certainly say that I would’ve missed the nice simple gentleman scent of the original MdC soap if that ever happened.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

R181

Grumpy old man
If all soaps/creams/croaps were unscented/smelled the same, I believe I could easily use only one soap. Personally, I have tried inexpensive ones and expensive ones and while there are differences in performance it is not a big enough difference for me to justify expensive ones. Call me jaded and just give me unscented Arko then.

Bob
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
Effectively, what you’re asking is which soap is the best performer, I guess. At least if one were to stick to one only. I’d probably go through one at a time and then switch to another brand just for variation. Wholly Kaw or Declaration both have unscented readily available, so one of those for starters. For the colder season, one with lamb tallow would be good; Adagio Road or Stirling’s Sheep good options.
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Effectively, what you’re asking is which soap is the best performer, I guess. At least if one were to stick to one only. I’d probably go through one at a time and then switch to another brand just for variation. Wholly Kaw or Declaration both have unscented readily available, so one of those for starters. For the colder season, one with lamb tallow would be good; Adagio Road or Stirling’s Sheep good options.
A little more in depth, packaging, design and price are still in consideration. However with scent banished the best base does become easier to establish and more important. Scent for me plays towards performance, probably better established as 'enjoyment' using said soap.

@R181 I would prefer Arko unscented over scented. But performance wise it dries my skin post shave beyond what I like. Packaging is perfectly fine for me, probably amongst the best considering cost.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
A little more in depth, packaging, design and price are still in consideration. However with scent banished the best base does become easier to establish and more important. Scent for me plays towards performance, probably better established as 'enjoyment' using said soap.

@R181 I would prefer Arko unscented over scented. But performance wise it dries my skin post shave beyond what I like. Packaging is perfectly fine for me, probably amongst the best considering cost.
Again a personal perspective, in that packaging and design are basically fluff that adds nothing to the soap's performance but you indeed pay for. I am not willing to pay too much for packaging and design. My enjoyment comes from getting a smooth comfortable shave which goes to the performance of the soap. Scent is a minor consideration and so long as it does not trigger my gag reflex I'm fine and the soap performs for me.

Everyone has different skin and Arko does not overly dry my skin post shave being blessed with oily skin in the first place. Using MdC/CF does not significantly improve the quality of my shave considering the price difference when compared to Arko.

Bob
 

Jacobite

Forum GOD!
I have a few dozen pucks of 40 year old Williams Mug soap. It no longer has any scent. No other soap performs as well, or leaves my face feeling so healthy. I just spent the month of October using a Speick stick, which might be the only soap I've used that comes close to the older Williams for performance and certainly for skin care.
 

celestino

Forum GOD!
Yes. I would only use my favourite soapmaker as her soaps are excellent and quite inexpensive, so I wouldn't bother with other unscented ones that are more expensive.
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
ALL the soaps I keep are retained for their performance. The scent is just a bonus so I would still have Eufros, Mike's Nuavia, P&B, NSS, Grooming Dept, et al in my cabinet because I find they do feel / perform differently.
 
Top