I need some retail therapy....

Cristobal

Forum GOD!
I would go for a hobby too. In my humble opinion, retail therapy might be only a quick fix, very momentary at best. Maybe investing (time and/or money) in a hobby is a solution.

I recently start to bake my own bread, which can be rather cheap (or expensive, buying a Dutch oven for instance), but in the end quite rewarding (you eat what you produce, as you eat it you will consequently want to improve, and finally you will become your own baker/pizzaiolo/pastry chef by baking your own sourdough bread, pizzas, focaccias, brioches and babkas) or you could try fishing...

jeepie

Forum GOD!
Like many folks on here I've had a brush with anxiety.

I personally would suggest something in self-care; much as I love watches ! :)

I'd suggest a couple of things that I think are great in the self care space and I've got a lot of use out of:

1) https://www.shaktimat.co.uk/collections/all/products/shakti-mat-advanced-blue

This thing is brilliant. Literally lying on a bed of nails. So insanely painful that you really can't think of anything else, but afterwards you feel fan-f**king-tastic! Seriously. If I've ever feeling my mind racing I just lie on this for a bit.

2) Yoga

Again - being more flexible and supple in your body makes you feel better. I'm as stiff as an ironing board but have really seen some benefits of daily practice. I'd recommend getting a nice thick non-slip Yoga mat - I've got one from Pharamond life - and then trying out Fightmaster Yoga on YouTube.

Just a couple of ideas. If you want some bling and splash on retail then a watch would be the way I'd go :)

Hope you feel better soon. It's a tough time so be kind to yourself.

p.b

Forum GOD!
I've always thought pipe smoking would be an interesting hobby* - maintenance and lots of faffing around with it plus trying out all the different shag (te-he) tobaccos.

* ignoring the smell and health risks

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
Hi chaps,
I’m feeling pretty low at the moment (the Black dog is resting on my shoulder as I type this). I’m looking for quick fix, some retail therapy. BTW I know it’s not the answer but I need something.

Any of you lovely chaps want to recommend anything for me to squander my cash on? Nothing crazy money but something you really rate and recommend.

Cheers
Rob
Alright Rob, sorry to hear the Black Dog's sitting on your shoulder, I know the feeling all too well.

For something shaving related, I'd either recommend getting some soap samples from Shave Dash or some blades to try out from RazorBladesClub if you are looking to try out some new things.

For other hobbies, do you play guitar at all? I do, and I bought a few cheapish things over the last 12-18 months which have provided more pleasure than my more expensive purchases.

Are you into films at all? There are some 'other' streaming providers (ie not just Netflix) which could be of some interest.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Now if you want a hobby that makes shaving look inexpensive then here's a cracker. Having dabbled with hi-fi (and home cinema briefly) I can tell you there's always something to improve on - whether it's the newest, or something vintage from cables costing £000's or a dedicated electric circuit just for the hi-fi.

My favourite was the stands for the speaker cable (not my pic) - I think I knew it'd gone too far when a fellow enthusiast got some and almost
I enjoy my little hi fi but I hate spending money on gear, I love buying records though.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I feel the same as Rob but I cannot be bothered to buy anything as nothing is taking my fancy at the moment. I'd love a right good splurge though.

J-B-M

Forum GOD!
I can't walk at the moment and have been pretty miserable. I am diverting myself with a subscription to The Great Courses Plus.

It might not be your kind of thing but it is help to keep me sane and distract me from the pain. I am mainly there for the history lectures but they cover a ton of subjects.

Might be worth a look?

vartik

Head shaver
Hi Rob!:hug:

Tough time for many in these crazy times can only offer my best wishes..
I would whole heartedly recommend something that is functional and to lift the spirits. Learning a new skill or a bit of self mastery.

One of the great things to lift one from a depressive slumber is physical exercise and a connection to the thing that roots is all which is nature and the natural world.
Get some plants around you and try to get out in nature if at all possible. A short walk if you can manage it.
Also also I would suggest getting a skipping rope and/or a fishing rod.

Skipping is a brilliant exercise you can do anywhere, is inexpensive, and not too difficult to learn and a fishing rod so you could find somewhere to fish. You don't actually have to catch fish (i know some would be morally opposed to it) but it gives you a reason to get outside to go and sit out in a natural place and be emersed in nature.

Also what about your bike? Did that not work out in the end?
So true 👍👍👍

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Good Morning Gents,
I’m so sorry about the delay and lack of response from myself. I posted the thread yesterday morning expecting work to be quiet, as it had been all this week but I didn’t have a minute. When I got home I was wiped out and went to bed.

Thanks so much for the kind words and recommendations and the laughs. In my head I was only expecting maybe some shaving gear recommendations. I was overwhelmed with the thoughtfulness of the recommendations and ideas.

I’ll try and cover to most of the posts here.

My main goal is to get a bike. I did buy one last June but I had to send it back (I actually sent two back) as it didn’t fit right. This is top of my list but it’s proving extremely difficult to get one.

I've been looking into Yoga as it looks to be ideal for recovery after cycling.

I do love watches. I had a TAG for my 21st and cherish it. Watches are too expensive a hobby for me, well with my taste anyway.

I’m looking at getting a Fountain pen ASAP. I’ve been looking at starting a journal this year anyway. A fountain pen would be nice to use. I haven’t used one since my school days.

As @Holyzeus mentioned I’m pretty much sorted for Hi-Fi at the moment but my plain is to upgrade my speakers this year. I’m thinking of trying the Buchardt S400’s. My Hi-Fi set-up is as follows: Well Tempered record deck, Exposure 3010 amp, Naim streamer and Roksan speakers.

@Mr Bigmem I’ve tried Oud for Greatness and I wasn’t a fan. MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 is top of my list to sample though.

@Nishy No idea what you mean by ‘share dealing’? Do you mean stocks and shares?

Again I can’t thank you all enough for your response, it means a lot.

Cheers
Rob

Cleanfoam

Forum GOD!
Those Buchardt's are lovely looking speakers Rob - the lack of a front port makes such a difference to the aesthetic and from what I have heard they are all the better for it sound wise. I can't believe I'm being tempted to the world of hi-fi on a shaving forum.

What deck is it you have? I had the Versalex (borrowed) for a short time and it was fabulous.......

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Those Buchardt's are lovely looking speakers Rob - the lack of a front port makes such a difference to the aesthetic and from what I have heard they are all the better for it sound wise. I can't believe I'm being tempted to the world of hi-fi on a shaving forum.

What deck is it you have? I had the Versalex (borrowed) for a short time and it was fabulous.......
Here's my Versalex...I also have a Trilogy 906 Phono Stage.

20181202_152415.jpg