I have just had my fourth ever DE Shave :(

2hot 2trot

Forum GOD!
Well I have just had my fourth every DE shave:

L' Oreal face wash
Warm Towel prep
Palmolive Original cream
Omega Pro 49 Boar
Merkur 34c HD
Astra SP (new)
L'Oréal postbalm
CK aftershave.

I promised to myself to really concentrate on my shaving technique.
For the first time I used my left hand for the left side of my face.
This to me is so much more difficult than it looked.
1st pass resulted in much more stubble on my left side than right.
2nd pass a little better but by no means to a standard that I would want and my third pass has left me still with a sandpaper feel on the left side of my face.
Some parts of my right side (Cheeks) are smooth.

Message to myself:
Must keep practising, must keep reading and MUST NOT become despondent.
On a positive side, I did not cut myself.

lots to learn guys! :):)
 
I'm only on my 8th or 9th DE shave, and I've found I'm getting a better shave each time. I can't use my left hand, right hand for both sides.
 

2hot 2trot

Forum GOD!
I'm only on my 8th or 9th DE shave, and I've found I'm getting a better shave each time. I can't use my left hand, right hand for both sides.
Right hand it will be mate from here on in.
I think I have been getting confused with the straight razor technique.
Too many tutorial videos have resulted in brain overload. :)
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
One hand can be used for all types of shaving chaps, it is just 'good practice' to use both when using a straight razor. As it can be harder to get a comfortable hold, when trying to attain the correct cutting angle, for one side of the face if using one hand and a straight razor.
 

OJ82

Forum GOD!
Just keep practicing, if you don't get a good shave with the technique you'r using, try a bit steeper or shallower angle, maybe a bit more or less pressure.....
Just don't give up:okay:
 

Grarea

Forum Plod
I tend to find with these things that I am best not to think too hard about it.
My subconscious seems to learn it better than I can.
I am in a similar position in learning again.
I have been learning again but with a disposable straight and boy the first few times made me giggle, it was just pants.
I cut myself as well. So, I went with just doing what i fancied and each time i did it (without thinking too much about it) and only when i fancied it,
I am gradually getting better. I still have a funny bit on my chin that I have no idea what to do, but it will get there.
As with starting out DE shaving, I am only going wtg to start with.
Then I just finish up with what I know.
Just enjoying it.
 

YMMV

Forum GOD!
Don't give up. Every new shave will be a better one. In the process you can try different blades until you find these that are more smooth and efficient for you
 

LeeBot

Forum GOD!
Keep at it. I fully agree with the dominant hand stuff above, no need to switch hands with a DE. And though the general trend will be one of gradual improvement do bear in mind that the shave when you think you've cracked it will inevitably be followed by a shave from hell due to misplaced confidence:p:
 

Pepvalue

Member
Are you ambidextrous for other things, say writing? I tend to agree with the dominant hand but I can appreciate the challenge.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Shaving is like any new skill. You have to learn it and it does take a little time. It will soon be second nature to you. Do not sweat using both hands, it really is not necessary. You will get there so keep at it.
 
Top