I am currently reading ...

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Finally finished Salem's Lot which I found a bit of a slog, this one could have afforded to be streamlined a bit.

Vacumatic

Testy
Parker Vacumatic by David Shepherd and Casebook of Sherlock Holmes. After that will be the Jeeves Omnibus by PG Wodehouse.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
1598905809539.png

Barry's writing has a brutal, desolate honesty to it; his observations are, for me anyway, uncomfortable at times. Whilst the writing shows flashes of brilliance, there is little joy in this book, rather an unflinching view of our fragility as human beings. It has the tone almost of Cèline.

The story unfolds in the ferry terminal of Algeciras; two old Irish drug smugglers, Maurice and Charlie, await the appearance of Dilly, Maurice’s "missing" daughter, who is traveling that night between Algeciras and Tangier. As they wait they drink and reminisce and we learn about these partners in crime who are intimate friends and were also part of a ménage à trois.

Some quotes which hopefully give a flavour of the writing...

"The Irishmen look out blithely at the faces that pass in a blur of the seven distractions - love, grief, pain, sentimentality, avarice, lust, want-of-death"

"We come into the world on the tip of a scream and the wave of our poor mothers' roaring".

"He will never lose the feeling of the love they had together, or the nausea of its absence".

Francorelli

Forum fella
I've been getting my fix of urban fantasy with Ben Aaronovitch's latest instalment in the Peter Grant series. The standard has dropped over the last few books, but still an original and entertaining story.

More urban fantasy from Sarah Painter, sharing some similarities with the Peter Grant books (modern day London, crime plus magic). An enjoyable first instalment in the Crow Investigations series. I'll be reading more of these.

And as a total contrast, unflinching wisdom and insight from Darren McGarvey's Poverty Safari.

Vacumatic

Testy
It’s a good one! We listened to the audio in the car.

steve
I miss that, used to regularly travel up to Edinburgh with the family, putting on a talking book CD such as DCI Banks, the whole family used to listen. We got to Annandale services for a coffee and no one wanted to get out!

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
I miss that, used to regularly travel up to Edinburgh with the family, putting on a talking book CD such as DCI Banks, the whole family used to listen. We got to Annandale services for a coffee and no one wanted to get out!
We did the same going on long journeys, including DCI Banks stories. :happy:

New car doesn’t have a CD player but if I could work out how, I could plug in my iPod.

steve

Petronius

Forum GOD!
The House of Medici: Its Rise and Fall by Christopher Hibbert
Machiavelli: A Man Misunderstood by Michael White