How will this Pandemic affect this hobby

fancontroller

Forum GOD!
Personally my shave routine has not changed a bit. I shave everyday because I like to feel clean and because it's an enjoyable thing to do. That bit hasn't changed.
I usually work 2 days a week from home and now work from home every working day. However I still shave everyday.

It's good to feel clean-shaven but I don't shave to please other people by looking neat, but for myself. That includes cologne etc. Sounds like a selfish act but it's my hobby and I enjoy doing it. I don't shave in 10 minutes, what's the point in rushing. I prefer to take my time and take it easy, 30 minutes is about right for me all told.
Many people will say they don't have the luxury of that amount of time; I just get up a bit earlier.

I must have literally years' worth of shaving consumables to get through so I don't need to worry about shopping for shave stuff which is perfect in these strange times.

There are many more important issues to be concerned about these days, I agree. However that doesn't mean we have to spend all day watching or thinking about the news and worrying. Shaving provides me with a break from reality and always has. In that respect I believe it may be more important than ever.

As to the long term implications of this epidemic ; I don't think anyone can predict what's in store.

Keep Calm and don't carry Covid.
 

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Personally my shave routine has not changed a bit. I shave everyday because I like to feel clean and because it's an enjoyable thing to do. That bit hasn't changed.
I usually work 2 days a week from home and now work from home every working day. However I still shave everyday.

It's good to feel clean-shaven but I don't shave to please other people by looking neat, but for myself. That includes cologne etc. Sounds like a selfish act but it's my hobby and I enjoy doing it. I don't shave in 10 minutes, what's the point in rushing. I prefer to take my time and take it easy, 30 minutes is about right for me all told.
Many people will say they don't have the luxury of that amount of time; I just get up a bit earlier.

I must have literally years' worth of shaving consumables to get through so I don't need to worry about shopping for shave stuff which is perfect in these strange times.

There are many more important issues to be concerned about these days, I agree. However that doesn't mean we have to spend all day watching or thinking about the news and worrying. Shaving provides me with a break from reality and always has. In that respect I believe it may be more important than ever.

As to the long term implications of this epidemic ; I don't think anyone can predict what's in store.

Keep Calm and don't carry Covid.
Thankfully, I think many forum members will be in the lucky position of having years if not decades worth of shaving supplies; now toilet paper, that's another issue :)
 

Tommo

Forum GOD!
When the world starts to get back to normal I think it will be very interesting to see how peoples behaviours change in general. Will people still be walking around in face masks? I'd like to think that the hand washing, hygiene, etc. Standards will remain. Maybe people will appreciate the outdoors and the freedom to enjoy them more so than before. The government have been telling people for years to go out and exercise daily, it seems that all along they should have been telling us we could only exercise once a day. Every man (and his dog) is making sure they don't miss out on that! Hopefully the sense of community and care for vulnerable members of society will increase and continue.

I think peoples spending habits will change, becoming more frugal and realising how little we need to live on and have an enjoyable life. The British high street was fighting a losing battle before, this will change town centres.

As for the shaving hobby. I think the imposed restrictions from the suspension of BST pages and various vendors temporarily closing. Not to mention the reduced listings on ebay. Will break the acquisition habit for many. Prior to many of the restrictions coming in, I had decided to reduce my purchases. There are still items I want and will buy when available, but I am currently working through all my gear, without repetition, and being critical over whether I want to keep it or not. Maybe we will see a rise in artisans? More people at home with time on their hands to learn a new skill.

Then again the opposite of all this is just as likely.

Disclaimer; this is all my own uneducated opinion and I don't have a clue!
 

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
Thankfully, I think many forum members will be in the lucky position of having years if not decades worth of shaving supplies; now toilet paper, that's another issue :)
Issue? Tissue, surely.

My daily shaving routine will remain the same, and I have enough razors, blades and brushes to last me. I'll replace soaps, balms, AS, EDT and EDP as I need to, and will likely stick with my favourite artisan UK soap-makers. No doubt I'll branch out if I see or hear about something interesting, despite any good intentions to the contrary.

Per @Tommo 's post, I'll be more than happy if some of the more stringent hygienes continue. Back at the start of the year, I was becoming distinctly brassed off with the number of people unrestrainedly coughing and sneezing in social settings, as I don't like colds and 'flu, and the more notice taken of "Coughs and Sneezes Spread Diseases", the better. As for spending, I think we're going to be as poor as church mice for years to come.
 

Steve

Boomer Member
I was going to PIF a dozen, or so, razors but that seems to be out of the question for a while. While @Tommo is looking forward to the rise of artisan hand sanitiser, I think it is just as likely that we'll be witnessing the rise of the beardless robot masters.
 

Cruciate

Forum GOD!
I'll tell you how this has affected my hobby.
I'm shaving more often and I'm always doing 3 pass shaves, with touch ups.
And I'm bloomin glad I know about all this and am not still using a Gillette Fusion or electric (gasp).
Why?
Because the face masks I need to use in the intensive care units need you to be clean shaven. And by the end of a 10 hour shift you can feel stubble trying to loosen the seal.
When you are fitted for them, you have to sit in a plastic hood while they fill it with a bitter tasting gas. If you taste it then the mask isn't working. Colleagues who shave electric or single pass with a cartridge are struggling.
A 3 pass shave in the morning gives me confidence.

You folks on here, by teaching me years ago the ways of the best, have possibly saved my life. And I thank you.
Stay safe folks.
 

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
I think the pandemic will have relatively little direct impact on our hobby. The real test will be the coming months (years?) as the world slips into a deep recession caused by the pandemic. 10M Americans filed jobless claims in the last two weeks. Weekly claims are 10x the previous record. No industry will be safe once the impact of extreme joblessness spreads across the economy. I don't know UK stats, but they must be similarly dire. That will surely impact this market.
 
Last edited:

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I'll tell you how this has affected my hobby.
I'm shaving more often and I'm always doing 3 pass shaves, with touch ups.
And I'm bloomin glad I know about all this and am not still using a Gillette Fusion or electric (gasp).
Why?
Because the face masks I need to use in the intensive care units need you to be clean shaven. And by the end of a 10 hour shift you can feel stubble trying to loosen the seal.
When you are fitted for them, you have to sit in a plastic hood while they fill it with a bitter tasting gas. If you taste it then the mask isn't working. Colleagues who shave electric or single pass with a cartridge are struggling.
A 3 pass shave in the morning gives me confidence.

You folks on here, by teaching me years ago the ways of the best, have possibly saved my life. And I thank you.
Stay safe folks.
Thank you for the work you do! Stay safe yourself. P.
 

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I think the pandemic will have relatively little direct impact on our hobby. The real test will be the coming months (years?) as the world slips into a deep recession caused by the pandemic. 10M Americans filed jobless claims in the last two weeks. Weekly claims are 10x the previous record. No industry will be safe once the impact of extreme joblessness spreads across the economy. I don't know UK stats, but hey must be similarly dire.
^^^yes...the economic, social and political impact will be on a scale that most of us have not witnessed before. Many companies will be no more; many jobs will be lost; asset bubbles will go pop if they have not already; people's expectations for the way they are governed will likely change. How soon we will "bounce back" is a mute point. More importantly it will be crystal clear the countries that managed to protect their people and those that did not. The younger generation may understandably claim that they will pay the highest cost in lost opportunities, mental and physical health and not least the mountains of debt they will have to pay-off on our behalf...
 

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
Apple is debating release dates for new products. With their infinite marketing wisdom, image the short term sales impact for small artisans.

I have noticed more inventory and lower sales of new brushes in some artisan brush makers. Carbon Shaving has delayed "pass arounds" of new heads. I vaguely recall another razor vendor delaying release. Some under-funded shaving firms may not make it.

We will return to economic growth and low unemployment hopefully in several months.

However, now may be a good time for group buys to support smaller artisans!!
 
Top