How sad is this?

Wayne

Forum Sod
After owning a good few premium shaving items in the past, I now only use the Leaf and Twig. I have gone from a lovely rack full of good gear to this pathetic offering. Not good for a shaving enthusiast. Got to love the Leaf but I hate it at the same time. It's just so difficult to see past it and go back to the days of buying expensive razors, finding they don't work and selling them for half price to a grateful buyer.
E49042CF-6754-4FA9-96B9-AE090BA5E35D.jpeg
 

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I actually think that there’s something quite comforting about it!

I liken it to driving up a near-empty M40 having found another car happily doing the same speed as you. Whack on cruise control, stick on your station/podcast/Spotify/audiobook/whatever, and get lost in your thoughts. At some point you’ll hit Birmingham but it’s 6am and the M42’s still quiet and, if the M6 sounds like it’s picking up, there’s always the M6 Toll…
 

Seamus1981

Forum GOD!
After owning a good few premium shaving items in the past, I now only use the Leaf and Twig. I have gone from a lovely rack full of good gear to this pathetic offering. Not good for a shaving enthusiast. Got to love the Leaf but I hate it at the same time. It's just so difficult to see past it and go back to the days of buying expensive razors, finding they don't work and selling them for half price to a grateful buyer.
View attachment 94941
It's a journey and a half mate, and you've finally found what works for you, i sold nearly all of my high end brushes, and now i just buy a nice artisan handle, and mount an Oumo knot in it, my preferences being the Lotus Manchurian, Manchurian, Handmaster and Hook knots, essentially cutting out the middle man and saving some money at the same time.

I'm in the middle of deciding which razors to get rid of as well, my WR2 1.05sb and Carbon ++ will be staying, as well as my Merkur Progress, possibly the Weber, but i suspect the RS-10 is on the chopping block,
a lovely shaver, but i prefer others.

I'd like a minimalistic collection, and will use up my remaining sets.
 

Will-J

Forum GOD!
Ah but think of all the money you can now save vs modern shaving gear! Or find another hobby to plough the funds into instead. :)

I must admit that personally I am not too far away from a similar situation:

Razor - Pretty much the Blackland Vector, I have kept hold of an RR Hawk v2 for travel and the OB Genesis for occasional use (I actually really like the OB, just not the short life or cost of the blades).

Brushes - I have 2 synths that see most use, a little 24mm Yaqi thing with a knot like the AP SynBad, and an XL Muhle STFv2.

Soaps - I have been focusing on using up what I already had for the last year or so, have bought a couple and a few samples to scratch the itch to try new things, £10 every now and then to Shavedash and actually using up the samples seems better to me than £15-20 (or more!) a time for a tub of something that will hardly ever see any use.
 

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
After owning a good few premium shaving items in the past, I now only use the Leaf and Twig. I have gone from a lovely rack full of good gear to this pathetic offering. Not good for a shaving enthusiast. Got to love the Leaf but I hate it at the same time. It's just so difficult to see past it and go back to the days of buying expensive razors, finding they don't work and selling them for half price to a grateful buyer.
View attachment 94941
It's important to find the set up which works for your needs be it a rotation of 200 razors/soaps/brushes, or a few items.

Do you have a favourite amongst the synths? I presume it's 2Bed, SynBad, Cashmere and SilkSmoke from ApShaveCo, I'm thinking of adding one of their synths some point, a little overwhelmed with the choice!
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Been at this point for a couple of years, have three brushes and four razors but that includes the Leaf and RS-10 both of which don’t get used.
Still have a large collection of soaps though
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
It's important to find the set up which works for your needs be it a rotation of 200 razors/soaps/brushes, or a few items.

Do you have a favourite amongst the synths? I presume it's 2Bed, SynBad, Cashmere and SilkSmoke from ApShaveCo, I'm thinking of adding one of their synths some point, a little overwhelmed with the choice!
Yeah, I love the AP knots, they do everything I need, I love the Cashmere. It's not for everybody, scrubbers won't like them but I'm not a face masher, any AP knot will do though.
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
Been at this point for a couple of years, have three brushes and four razors but that includes the Leaf and RS-10 both of which don’t get used.
Still have a large collection of soaps though
I honstly cannot believe you couldn't sell the Leaf. It was a real bargain, but I suppose we have all been there with a good few items, not being able to understand why the Hell no one wants them. Especially at a great discount.
 

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
I honstly cannot believe you couldn't sell the Leaf. It was a real bargain, but I suppose we have all been there with a good few items, not being able to understand why the Hell no one wants them. Especially at a great discount.
Should of learnt my lesson by now.
 

Jfett

CunningMr.Fox
You miss the chase perhaps. Jump back in Wayne we are waiting for you 😂.
I have a lovely comfy seat next to me aboard the rabbit express. A one way trip for sure.
Sincerest respects Wayne. J.
 

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
All I have used for the past 6 weeks is a KRs lathe works faux ivory synth, Vector OC and Monsavon. I could chuck everything else. Simplicity!
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I actually think that there’s something quite comforting about it!

I liken it to driving up a near-empty M40 having found another car happily doing the same speed as you. Whack on cruise control, stick on your station/podcast/Spotify/audiobook/whatever, and get lost in your thoughts. At some point you’ll hit Birmingham but it’s 6am and the M42’s still quiet and, if the M6 sounds like it’s picking up, there’s always the M6 Toll…
I drivE eight miles to work. I have a choice either the link road where they all drive like a bat out of hell or the costal A road. Why drive at speed when you can plod along with the radio on, listen to the news and admire the views of the estuary and the baby lambs in the spring ? And I get a regular 50 to the gallon at a steady average of 40 mph.
 
Top