How many of you have no friends?

Wayne

Forum Sod
Friends are overrated, no really, they are. I like to chew the fat and have a good belly laugh with lots of good acquiantances at soul events and of course work mates but honestly I couldn't rely on any of them if I needed them for anything important, If I left my wallet at home they'd spot me a score until I gave it back but couldn't see me getting a Kidney if I needed one but to sit and talk to now and again for an enjoyable hour or two is an absloute pleasure and something I look forward to every week. Social media, Nah! not for me, I'm not on Divorcebook, Instagram or indeed grinder anymore (last one was a joke, honest) It's a pleasure to interact on here with likeminded people which makes it easy of course but doubt I'll ever meet anyone cos you won't turn up to a bloody meet :laugh: When you are knocking on like Bowlsey then you need a little hobby to get out and to meet those likeminded acquaintenses, Golf, Bowls (No pun intended) Model railways, Pigeon racing, Pottery lessons, you get the idea, it is vital, you need that in your life for when something awful happens, I won't mention the kind of thing but use your imagination. Then instead of wondering what the hell to do with yourself you have that network of mates to give you the insentive to get out of the house for those precious hours. My Dad always said "Son, a bloke needs a hobby, love your family but you need time away for yourself"
He was a wise old Owl and it has always stood me well.

S

Steve Bowles

Friends are overrated, no really, they are. I like to chew the fat and have a good belly laugh with lots of good acquiantances at soul events and of course work mates but honestly I couldn't rely on any of them if I needed them for anything important, If I left my wallet at home they'd spot me a score until I gave it back but couldn't see me getting a Kidney if I needed one but to sit and talk to now and again for an enjoyable hour or two is an absloute pleasure and something I look forward to every week. Social media, Nah! not for me, I'm not on Divorcebook, Instagram or indeed grinder anymore (last one was a joke, honest) It's a pleasure to interact on here with likeminded people which makes it easy of course but doubt I'll ever meet anyone cos you won't turn up to a bloody meet :laugh: When you are knocking on like Bowlsey then you need a little hobby to get out and to meet those likeminded acquaintenses, Golf, Bowls (No pun intended) Model railways, Pigeon racing, Pottery lessons, you get the idea, it is vital, you need that in your life for when something awful happens, I won't mention the kind of thing but use your imagination. Then instead of wondering what the hell to do with yourself you have that network of mates to give you the insentive to get out of the house for those precious hours. My Dad always said "Son, a bloke needs a hobby, love your family but you need time away for yourself"
I think we'd get along swimmingly -- as long as you remembered to walk 3 paces behind me.

Crossroads

Forum GOD!
I find Electric Biking a good sociable hobby. I cycle along a canal fairly regularly and do a bit of bird watching as well. People will chat forever, if you are receptive. Important to wear normal clothes, if you look overly sporty, people don't chat so much.

S

Steve Bowles

I find Electric Biking a good sociable hobby. I cycle along a canal fairly regularly and do a bit of bird watching as well. People will chat forever, if you are receptive. Important to wear normal clothes, if you look overly sporty, people don't chat so much.
I have an electric bike (Riese-Muller Charger GT Nuvinci), and I've taken a couple of tumbles in traffic. The roads where I live are murderous. It's for sale.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I have an electric bike (Riese-Muller Charger GT Nuvinci), and I've taken a couple of tumbles in traffic. The roads where I live are murderous. It's for sale.
Go on then Stevie, I'll be your mate, someone has to do it. You can tell everyone I'm Wayne's mate from now on.

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I think this has been a good post/ thread so thank you Steve for having the courage to start it off.
Many of us may think we are the only ones without close friends but in reality this is not so and because of this thread we may not feel so isolated after all.
It's great that we can speak about matters like this and be honest with each other and maybe it's because the chances of us never meeting we can be so honest with each other.
Is it a sign of the times or has it always been so, where we go through life with no or so few real friends we can rely on .
In this age where a lot of friendships (if that what they really are) are formed through social media of which I play no part in is it any wonder that many of us have few or no real friends.
I do agree with what has been said about getting out there and trying to make friendships through hobbys ect but I also realise this won't be for everyone.
I am blessed to have two friends I could give my house keys to and know that nothing untoward would go on, all the so called friends who I could not trust with my house keys have been dropped........because they were not friends, just untrustworthy acquaintances. P.

Last edited:

TobyC

Patriot
"Electric Biking"!!!

What's wrong with pedaling?

:meh:

D

Deleted member 1881

Overrated like Wholly Kaw?
I think this has been a good thread so thank you Steve for having the courage to start it off.
Many of us may think we are the only ones without close friends but in reality this is not so and because of this thread we may not feel so isolated after all.
It's great that we can speak about matters like this and be honest with each other and maybe it's because the chances of us ever meeting we can be so honest with each other.
Is it a sign of the times or has it always been so, where we go through life with no or so few real friends we can rely on .
In this age where a lot of friendships (if that what they really are) are formed through social media of which I play no part in is it any wonder that many of us have few or no real friends.
I do agree with what has been said about getting out there and trying to make friendships through hobbys ect but I also realise this won't be for everyone.
I am blessed to have two friends I could give my house keys to and know that nothing untoward would go on, all the so called friends who I could not trust with my house keys have been dropped........because they were not friends, just untrustworthy acquaintances. P.
A very good post and a very good thread as well. Well done king Steve.

I don't use social media at all, I have no accounts, I only use ATG forum!

Many of us could say that YES, we have tons of friends etc just to impress, or I know some people that have in their phone contacts 1000 names to make sure that everyones knows that they have 1000 friends.

Francorelli

Forum fella
"Electric Biking"!!!

What's wrong with pedaling?

:meh:
I might have said much the same a few years back, before chronic health issues made even low impact activities more challenging and injury-prone.

I don't own an electric bike, but I would consider one, if only to keep cycling out of the "denied" list of my favourite physical activities.

Last edited: