How do you do it? Shave everyday...

  • Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date

The Gentleman

Forum GOD!
I shave every morning before work. No way I'd go to work and look unshaved. I'll take sundays off some weekends, but say that I shave 6,5 times a week. With proper technique it's no problem to shave daily. And, yes, I shave ATG. I thought that was mandatory on this forum:rolleyes:
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
In my cartridges days I felt like I sometimes needed a second shave to be smart in the evening. With DE every other day is usually fine, e.g yesterday morning's shave was epic and I don't feel like I need to shave this morning to be sufficiently spick and span, but I wouldn't go longer if I had a business meeting or some other engagement to attend.

I think there is less of an imperative to be clean shaven nowadays...or to look at it another way, standards are slipping. For a lot of people having several days unshaven growth is no longer considered unsuitable in a professional environment. Well, it is for me. If you turn up to a meeting looking like you couldn't be bothered to groom yourself I am going to judge you accordingly. Being decently turned out is a way of showing respect to the person you are meeting. Casual and unkempt are not the same thing.

Reading this back I realise that I am a dinosaur, but that's fine with me!
I think stubble can look fine with casual clothes but in a business environment it should be clean shaven or beard.
 

chazt

shave
I enjoy the Zen-like ritual of my daily shave. With good technique irritation is nary an issue. re: the scruffy look, my personal approach since the age of seventeen has always been, “Grow a beard or take a shave - don’t give me that rugged stubble look. Who are you trying to fool?” Ymmv...
 

dc68

-------------
I have a face for radio.
Sadly I look even worse if I don't shave. I shave every morning, apart from the weekend when, if we are going out, I shave early evening before leaving the house. If going out in the evening during the week, I shave again. If on holiday I shave each evening before going out. When lockdown first came in, I went a week without shaving, I looked awful, and felt unclean.
 

Conservator

Forum GOD!
I have been shaving daily since 1960. I went to a high school that required all boys to be clean-shaven and that habit stayed with me. The only time I had an irritation problem is when I ventured to use an aggressive razor. If I wait too late to shave the stubble makes my face and neck feel itchy.

I am a source of amusement to some of my fishing and hunting buddies. When we go fishing and hunting most of the gents do not shave. But not me: I still shave every day. Two years ago six of us were fishing in Canada. I was fishing with one individual and I was catching three or four fish to his one. It was driving him crazy. I took his rod and baited the hook and returned it to him. He started to catch some fish. When it came time to bait his jig again the fish stopped hitting. I observed him and saw that he was scratching his beard. It appeared that he had a substance on his bear that was transferred to his hands and then to the bait. The scent of that substance repelled fish. The next day he was clean-shaven, too!
 
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
hey so its been like nine days since i shaved my head,
honestly ive been doing it so much that all this hair on my head feels like a lot although in reality its not much lol

anyways ive been feeling really down and depressed last few days,
anyone how do you guys shave when you feel so down? i mean for example like everything feels like a chore even brushing your damn teeth

like i got a merkur 39c, was excited to try it out as its my first merkur and i really like slant razors but honestly i just dont have it in me, i just cba when im feeling so low, you know?
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
During my move last year I got disinterested in shaving. I hatred the morning routine for being presentable for my professional occupation.

Now that I’m settled, ive actually gotten interested in using a straight again that requires some prep. I’ve never enjoyed honing,but see it as a necessity and it’s not a big deal. I don’t own lots of rocks.

Even at my age my beard is thick and I look disheveled in the morning before a shave.

True depression is serious. I trust you have friends and professional people with which to talk. Kindest regards.
 

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
@chris.hale and @Northam Saint Same for me. I’ve been retired nearly 15 years and I’ve not missed a beat: up by 6.30 am, nice cuppa of Yorkshire Gold, then in the shower followed by a relaxing shave. Make the bed, read the paper, check email and ATG. Sets me up for the day regardless of how I feel. If I don’t do it I feel slothful and grubby.
Although lock down I was the same up at the same time, shower, shave and dressed. I can see me doing the same when I retire. I even take my shaving kit on scout camps. I’ve been shaving in a field in the fog before !
 

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
It wouldn’t make sense for me to shower in the morning. Maybe later in the year when I’m not sweating sitting in a chair…lol!

I shave because I want to look presentable. Not that stubble looks bad on some men, but it doesn’t on me.

So, I shave after coffee and the morning constitutional. Then I hike or bike.
 
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2936

Guest
I always feel better after a shower and a shave so for me it’s not too hard to motivate myself to do it even on a bad day because I know that in a small way it’ll give me a bit of a lift.
Trimmed my moustache a bit ago, more because the length was annoying me as I'm not really a moustache sort of guy

Well tomorrows a new day and a new slate, will try to be more positive be and make an effort 💪
 
Top