Horse hair brushes

halvor

a most elusive fish
The thing to remember is that there are as many variables in horse hair as with boar or badger. In general mane hair will be softer than tail hair but even there you will find differences between breeds, processing and even time of year. How densely a knot is made and the loft vs base as well as the skill of the knot maker will all produce differing results. Most knots will be a mixture of mane & tail hair aimed at creating a particular feel.
That’s true. I read elsewhere descriptions of the one I ordered as a poor man’s Chubby. It’s a 50-50 mane-tail, which is the highest mane proportion I came across when searching, hoping that does the trick for both backbone and tip softness.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I'm a big fan of Horse hair brushes, a brown VieLong is one half of my weekly rotation and has been for years. I face lather and have had no problems with it getting tangled at all.
I have become curious.
But it seems most people find them prickly.
Do you find it prickly but like the pain/have leather for face skin?
(I also face lather)
Are you still using it regularly?
Has it now tangled?

And also:

The thing to remember is that there are as many variables in horse hair as with boar or badger. In general mane hair will be softer than tail hair but even there you will find differences between breeds, processing and even time of year. How densely a knot is made and the loft vs base as well as the skill of the knot maker will all produce differing results. Most knots will be a mixture of mane & tail hair aimed at creating a particular feel.
So, is it all just pot luck and that is why some people like them?

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I had a horse hair brush (50% mane, 50% tail) for several months, but never came to terms with it. It was a little prickly, which didn’t bother me, but the rest of the face-feel was odd in that it reminded me of a floor mop. I only face lather and one of my favourite brushes is a Kent BK 4, which some regard as the epitome of a floppy brush. Thus, it wasn’t that the horse was not firm, it just had an odd feel on my face. On the other hand, the handle was gorgeous, so I had Vlad Ferdman re-knot it with a TGN 2-band badger; now it’s one of my favoured brushes.

halvor

a most elusive fish
My Epsilon mentioned above has been left unused since my last post in this thread more or less. It’s waiting for Godot in the confined space of a dresser drawer it seems. (For all I know, it might be working on Meditations of First Philosopy Revisited. In which case it will likely come to a negative conclusion: I lather not, therefore I am not.)

halvor

a most elusive fish
No, it wasn’t that bad. But the massage it gives was a little over the top for me, plus I found it a hassle to give it a combing after each shave. Want to give it a try?

Nisse

Old geezer
I am known to be cheap but still did not have second thoughts binning my Epsilon brown horse hair-brush: Prickly, not overall but a few really sharp tips totally ruined face feel.

Grarea

Forum Plod
No, it wasn’t that bad. But the massage it gives was a little over the top for me, plus I found it a hassle to give it a combing after each shave. Want to give it a try?
LOL, With that sales patter, and other people's input, how could I possibly resist?
Does it really need a comb?
I have seen people saying that it tangles, but then others say that it doesn't.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I am known to be cheap but still did not have second thoughts binning my Epsilon brown horse hair-brush: Prickly, not overall but a few really sharp tips totally ruined face feel.
You mean you didn't try to trim down the offending hairs?

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I appreciate this thread. I've been asking myself the same question. I have boar, badger and synthetic brushes. 16 in total. And no horse. Reading that they can tend to be prickly has led me to decide I don't need a horse hair brush as I really don't like overly scrubby, scritchy or prickly brushes. I have a pure badger and a best badger, both of which feel identically scritchy and uncomfortable. But I've enjoyed reading people's thoughts on them. At this point my BAD is abated. The only brush I can see buying down the road would be a Rudy Vey faux ivory handled badger.

Nisse

Old geezer
I gave knot the evil eye hoping hair would cave in admitting to being part of the prickly gang but no joy.

Last edited: