Hobby or just a decent shave?

Steve

Boomer Member
I'm new to wet shaving. Became fed-up with cartridge, and I'm glad to get the best shaves of my life (at 53!)
There's so much to play with it can fast grow and become an obsession. have to be careful :)
I think you may have taken your first step down the rabbit hole.

Sig Solo

#WAD
It's usually better to want something than to have it, the quest is the fun part.
Hmmm... Not sure I agree... Having a big and versatile collection to enjoy is a great thing. Picking the combo for the shave and to have lots and lots of options is really enjoyable. The combinations are never ending....
Only razor that I haven't found to be all is made to be is my Merkur Futur. I go for days and build up the 'courage' to bring it out for a shave. But the nervousness that I get when using it always end up with me as the loser. I know when I get more experience I'll get great shaves from it; but for now I'll have to just leave in the drawer...

Last edited:

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
I'm new to wet shaving. Became fed-up with cartridge, and I'm glad to get the best shaves of my life (at 53!)
There's so much to play with it can fast grow and become an obsession. have to be careful :)
Same here
I’m just over a year in and it gotten past hobby status. I’m 51. Not many would believe I’ve only started last year. It has been a transformative process. I’ve changed much. I no longer drink alcohol and spend that money on shaving. I appreciate all ways all soaps, razors, blades, aftershaves, brushes, bowls, techniques, and such. The only thing I find distasteful is the “my way or the highway” attitude amongst some DE and straight shavers. A little kindness and modesty with a touch of understanding goes a long way.

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
Hmmm... Not sure I agree... Having a big and versatile collection to enjoy is a great thing. Picking the combo for the shave and to have lots and lots of options is really enjoyable. The combinations are never ending....
Only razor that I haven't found to be all is made to be is my Merkur Futur. I go for days and build up the 'courage' to bring it out for a shave. But the nervousness that I get when using always end up with me as the loser. I know when I get more experience I'll get great shaves from it; but for now I'll have to just leave in the drawer...
Agreed
The more the merrier in my book. I have slowed down but currently have an obscene amount of combinations. I don’t need blades at all. I think my thousands will do. With my Homelike and Henson razors ordered thats done. I’m just trying to figure out what I rebuy in the future.

Mastropiero

Forum GOD!
Well, for me it started as a way to find a decent shaving routine, I had always imagined that I could improve my shaving going this route, I just never imagined I could go from having to shave once every five days, otherwise I'd butcher my neck, to be able to shave daily with a straight.

For me the ultimate goal is the BBS (GBS in my case, Goddess Boobies Smooth), that's why I wet shave. It is a means to an end.

I just happened to stumble across a few rabbit holes along the way and, through no fault of my own, managed to fall down each and every single darned one of them. Go figure.

D

Deleted member 1881

Stopped being a hobby for me when I sold my Wolfie but I still love my shaving and interacting with all the members on here. I enjoy seeing what you are all up to every day.
But you don't read Randy's reviews.

D

Deleted member 1881

I think I have now become a collector.
Nothing really expensive in my den, and from all these stuff 5 or 6 soaps/creams, 5 razors, 5 brushes, 5 aftershaves are really worth the replacement unfortunately.

The rest are mediocre products, some of them I could have fed the binman with.

Sig Solo

#WAD
This stopped being just about a decent shave 15 soaps, 2000 blades, 9 brushes and 25+ razors ago...

The different combinations; the many options; Leaving everything else behind while being in the shave 'zone'...

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
It started as a decent shave for me and then became a full on expensive hobby. I’m slowly trying to get back to it being more of a mix that favours quality of shave over buying things constantly because I simply don’t have the funds to do so. It’s when you start spending money you don’t have that it gets difficult.

Zwilling

Kamisori shaver
It’s a hobby for me, but only the straight razor sharpening and maintenance. I love the tinkering and timeless nature of it. I have a handful of straights, a couple of stones and a strop.

It is a clearly a hobby, if it were a mattter of getting a decent shave I would have a Gillette Slim and a Filarmonica 14 DT straight razor. The soap would be Tabac and maybe Cella or Arko and the brush a 2Band Badger and a Yaqi synth.
Funnily enough, this basically describes my brush and soap approach. It’s been 95% Tabac soap the last two decades, and I have only owned one brush for the last fifteen years. I just realised the joy is in the process of shaving for me - soaps, brushes, aftershaves, meh.