Here is a feel good post for our members. One of my best friends goes by the name of James. A few years ago I started lending my friends some shaving equipment. They are not part of the forum yet and it is a good eye opener, to hear the thoughts of others who I trust, without the addition of any hype.
In terms of razors, they have been sent EJ89, Merkur 34C, Parker, Gillette TTO and a Ming Shi or the cheap Chinese razor.
Soap wise, James has been using Eufros ATG spring LE and AOS sandalwood for the last 3 years. The Maeseto 30mm is the only brush he has been using over the last 3 years.
So fast forward to last week. Decided to set him up with something different. The Rex adjustable, Epsilon synthetic and Proraso soap.
Here is what he messaged me (he calls me Snoodie):
Snoodie I used all the shaving equipment last night . Thought it best to give my views before I forget.
"Razor - very nice to hold. Started off with a high setting and then brought it down to a two for the second pass. I tend to be a bit rougher with the second pass to ensure I remove all the hairs. This often results in me either cutting my face or causes slight irritation. With this razor no nicks and it certainly did not feel like it was pulling or tugging at my face. The only blemishes after the shave was where I either hit a small spot, or where I had a small cut from a previous shave that had not quite healed. Much better than the jäger ( I think that’s what the razor I have is called) had the feel of a premium product.
Razar blade - Sputnik . Not sure it is designed to fit into the razor. Made a sort of scratching metal on metal noise when I loaded it in and tightened it up. Perhaps it was the way I loaded the blade, however, the Gillette ones you gave me seemed to fit better.
The shaving soap. Proraso . It was pretty thick when I put it into the scuttle. Took a lot of elbow grease to turn it into a silky lather. Not necessarily a bad thing, however I have got used to soaps rather than creams, which definitely are easier on the arm when lathering up. Good clean scent when it was ready to be used though.
Brush - synthetic . Not sure if my problems with lathering the soap were in part due to the brush. The bristles Seem to be a lot softer than the badger brush I have. This could be due to me using the badger brush for over 6 months. Use and the hard water in my area are sure to have had an affect on the brush. Will try the proraso with the badger next time to see if there is a difference.
Proraso aftershave. Wow what great stuff . Certainly makes you feel like a real man wearing this scent. A slight tinge when putting it on. But that is what I was after. Big bold clean scent.
Overall a good shaving experience. The razor I thought was the star of the show. Can tell it is better made than the other razors I have. Perhaps all in the mind , however, when using premium products you definitely enjoy the experience more. I took my time with the shave and left the room with a nice clean cut and smelt great."
Made me smile thinking someone special to me can get the same enjoyment as myself and that I haven't just been on a blind hype train
In terms of razors, they have been sent EJ89, Merkur 34C, Parker, Gillette TTO and a Ming Shi or the cheap Chinese razor.
Soap wise, James has been using Eufros ATG spring LE and AOS sandalwood for the last 3 years. The Maeseto 30mm is the only brush he has been using over the last 3 years.
So fast forward to last week. Decided to set him up with something different. The Rex adjustable, Epsilon synthetic and Proraso soap.
Here is what he messaged me (he calls me Snoodie):
Snoodie I used all the shaving equipment last night . Thought it best to give my views before I forget.
"Razor - very nice to hold. Started off with a high setting and then brought it down to a two for the second pass. I tend to be a bit rougher with the second pass to ensure I remove all the hairs. This often results in me either cutting my face or causes slight irritation. With this razor no nicks and it certainly did not feel like it was pulling or tugging at my face. The only blemishes after the shave was where I either hit a small spot, or where I had a small cut from a previous shave that had not quite healed. Much better than the jäger ( I think that’s what the razor I have is called) had the feel of a premium product.
Razar blade - Sputnik . Not sure it is designed to fit into the razor. Made a sort of scratching metal on metal noise when I loaded it in and tightened it up. Perhaps it was the way I loaded the blade, however, the Gillette ones you gave me seemed to fit better.
The shaving soap. Proraso . It was pretty thick when I put it into the scuttle. Took a lot of elbow grease to turn it into a silky lather. Not necessarily a bad thing, however I have got used to soaps rather than creams, which definitely are easier on the arm when lathering up. Good clean scent when it was ready to be used though.
Brush - synthetic . Not sure if my problems with lathering the soap were in part due to the brush. The bristles Seem to be a lot softer than the badger brush I have. This could be due to me using the badger brush for over 6 months. Use and the hard water in my area are sure to have had an affect on the brush. Will try the proraso with the badger next time to see if there is a difference.
Proraso aftershave. Wow what great stuff . Certainly makes you feel like a real man wearing this scent. A slight tinge when putting it on. But that is what I was after. Big bold clean scent.
Overall a good shaving experience. The razor I thought was the star of the show. Can tell it is better made than the other razors I have. Perhaps all in the mind , however, when using premium products you definitely enjoy the experience more. I took my time with the shave and left the room with a nice clean cut and smelt great."
Made me smile thinking someone special to me can get the same enjoyment as myself and that I haven't just been on a blind hype train
