Has anyones preference in razors changed over the years

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
I started in shaving using Gillette techs as they were cheap and gave what I thought was a great shave ,Moving on to the likes of Merkur 34 and 89 s ,Now the Blackland Blackbird has changed all that to the point of I like more aggressive razors ,Has your preference changed?
 

Tyke121

Forum GOD!
I'll have to hide my head in shame, but I've gone from Muhle and EJ, to the pricey SS types, and back to the Muhle and EJ heads.
What works for us ,Works for us ,I enjoy Fatips as much Pils but weirdly enjoy more aggressive razors now ,Wonder if as you get older your skin tolerates blade feel more
 

vtmax

Forum GOD!
Milder here as well. Karve with a sharp blade. Blackbird type razors are just fine occasionally just not everyday tools.
 

J-B-M

Forum GOD!
I feel like I am transitioning to milder razors. For years I used a Fatip loaded with a Feather. This week I used my new game changer 0.68 with a 7 o'clock Green - a blade I used to consider inadequately sharp - and you know what? It was great.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I’ve gone full circle, started off with a Merkur 34 then a Tech, worked my way up to using a Fatip OC as my daily and have now gone back to milder razors. I can get just as close a shave with a mild razor and as I don’t particularly enjoy feeling the blade much they’re more comfortable.
 

Liebone

Well-Known Member
It cost me thousands of dollars and gallons of blood to arrive at this simple formula:
  • Aggressive heads
  • Medium blades
  • Long light handles
 

churchilllafemme

Forum GOD!
When I first got back into traditional wet shaving around 15 years ago, I was fascinated by old Gillette razors, so I had one of nearly every model (Fat Boy, Slim, Super Speeds, NEW, Tech, etc.), but eventually I lost interest in them. After trying a large number of modern razors, I have settled on just a few: Wolfman WR2, LASSC BBS-1, Paradigm 17-4, H&S P076-SB 17-4, and Carbon Mokume-gane. These I appreciate for their design, smoothness, and efficiency on my face.
 

fly3k

Forum GOD!
I find myself using milder razors these days after going as aggressive as H plate ATT razors a few years back. Could be I started shaving almost daily instead of every other day.
 

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
I find it's a good thing to reassess one's preferred setups and to have choice.

I largely prefer mild razors but do enjoy a more efficient razor occasionally. However I have to appreciate subcontinent blades seem to suit my needs/face/razors better than most others.
 
Top