Hardware clean up

MPH

Forum GOD!
I don't quite know what inspired it, but today I gave my hardware a damn good clean up. The razors were cleaned and ultrasonic cleaned, and all my brushes were cleaned and shampoo'd.

This doesn't happen very often with me but it is very satisfying! :)

Just wondering how often everyone cleans up there gear? Regularly, or like me once in a blue moon?

IMG_20200913_131923537.jpg

IMG_20200913_152545084.jpg

IMG_20200913_155451841.jpg
 

Wayne

Forum Sod
I cleaned my Leaf yesterday. It's a bit fiddly to do when in use and it's the only razor I leave the blades in.
I removed the blades and soaked the head in a mixture of Vinegar and water which breaks down soap scum for an hour then rinsed and dryed it off. It looks better and I know it's clean. Yeah! it's a nice feeling.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MPH

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I cleaned my Leaf yesterday. It's a bit fiddly to do when in use and it's the only razor I leave the blades in.
I removed the blades and soaked the head in a mixture of Vinegar and water which breaks down soap scum for an hour then rinsed and dryed it off. It looks better and I know it's clean. Yeah! it's a nice feeling.
Any vinegar will do? I need to try this as my Leaf combined with hard water doesn’t look amazing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MPH

Wayne

Forum Sod
Any vinegar will do? I need to try this as my Leaf combined with hard water doesn’t look amazing.
Yeah mate. Any vinegar you have. I used about a 50/50 mix and just enough in the glass to cover the head, I left it a couple of hrs to soak. Overnight would be good, then just rinse in clean water and dry it off.
 

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Yeah mate. Any vinegar you have. I used about a 50/50 mix and just enough in the glass to cover the head, I left it a couple of hrs to soak. Overnight would be good, then just rinse in clean water and dry it off.
Lovely, I’ll do that tonight then.
 

Forged

Über Member
I clean my brushes on a fairly regular basis due to my allergy issues.

Razors I only clean when the buildup of soap scum, hard water deposits, rust, or wax from those :cursing: razor blade wax blobs starts to annoy me sufficiently. Offending parts then get cleaned ultrasonically with a solution of Eurosonic cleaner, and if that doesn’t achieve desired results, then other (finish appropriate) tools are brought bear:boxing:
 

MPH

Forum GOD!
Unless I'm selling something I work on the principle that my gear spends its working life in hot soapy water, how dirty can it get?
I was actually quite amazed how much soap had stuck to my razors. There had been some slight discoloration on the head of my mongoose that had been there since I once put it in the dishwasher. After all the cleaning, it was still there.... Until I kept scraping it with my thumb until it came off. Turns out it wasn't discolored at all, but I have no idea what it was? Definitely had something to do with the dishwasher though, so I've never done that again!

Nice and clean now though! :)
 

Quique

Forum GOD!
I clean the brushes once a year, I use vinegar, shampoo and hair conditioner.

I never clean the razors especially, although every time I use them I clean them under running water, I dry them perfectly and keep them disassembled in their box
 

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
My razors get the ultrasonic treatment after every week. I find a clean razor to perform better, maybe it's just in my head. But with such tight tolerances perhaps dirt can influence the performance?
My brushes hardly see shampoo. Washed thoroughly before and after use. Dried and put on the shelf. Used to hang the brushes, no noticeable difference IMO.
Matt what happened to the crazy resin brushes :)
 

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
My razors get the ultrasonic treatment after every week. I find a clean razor to perform better, maybe it's just in my head. But with such tight tolerances perhaps dirt can influence the performance?
No space over here, otherwise I would be curious enough to invest in a cheap ultrasonic cleaner to see how they work. It may be in your head, but if you feel like it shaves better, keep doing it. Never underestimate the power of positive thinking!
 
Top