Good shave/bad shave.

Blackie

Forum GOD!
I notice that now and then there will be a thread about 'this razor' and/or 'this blade' cut me up (or hack me to pieces, etc).
Just read one on B&B where it was noted "I've always gotten hacked up by the Feather blade"...
I tried to be gentle and replied that all blades are sharp and so all blades should maybe hack you up.
I suggested it's more to do with technique than blaming the Feather.
Razor involved is a Piccolo (version 2) so that can't be considered aggressive, but the OP was experimenting with filling the OC teeth in with epoxy to make it a SB.
The only time a blade bothers me is when it's (for example) a new to me make of blade that may actually just be a shite blade. I may have bought it to test how it shaves and I find it not worth buying anymore of them. Blades such as Bolzano, Merkur, etc (the usual suspects). They don't hack me up, they just feel rough/scratchy.
What's your thoughts?
If an Astra feels sort of OK, but a Feather cuts you up do you blame the blade/razor or your own technique?
I did suggest maybe the OP's soap wasn't providing enough slide/glide too, and this may help lead to irritation.
Maybe it's a razor/blade/soap combination that is wrong and combined with lack of technique gives a bad result.
 

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I had done quite a lengthy post but it boiled down to this - you can shave with anything if your technique is good enough.

I don’t like Feather blades but I used one the other week and it was OK, felt a bit rough but no blood.
 

R181

Grumpy old man
I had done quite a lengthy post but it boiled down to this - you can shave with anything if your technique is good enough.

I don’t like Feather blades but I used one the other week and it was OK, felt a bit rough but no blood.
Yea, pretty much my conclusion also. If you are having trouble the person staring back at you from the mirror is usually the culprit.

With razor blades, be they DE/SE or straight razor blades, you can have sharp and harsh feeling or sharp and smooth. I like the latter option.

Bob
 

Nisse

Old geezer
In a shavette I find fresh Feather blades may need extra attention to technique especially when going against the grain.
 

wintoid

Out of control
Blades, razors, soaps, prep all make a big difference to me. I am one who doesn't really get on with Feathers, except in particular razors. It doesn't really matter to me whether that's the blade's fault, or my technique. I am not likely to invest time learning how to shave with a Feather when I can get a great result with another blade.
 

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I find Feather blades work very well in my mildest of razors, all my feather AS-D1/2, Pils, ATT Windsor CM1 ect but this changes if I use them in my Carbon Cx and CR1 where I find a Astra SP fits the bill.
The right blade for the right razor maybe? P.
 

CobraX

Forum GOD!
I guess it all depends on what you mean by a good/bad shave. I can get zero cuts with any blade. This is achieved by a combination of technique and experience with the blade. However, blades that are TOO sharp, do often give me more irritation/razor burn and that has got nothing to do with technique, it's just how my skin works.
 
D

Deleted member 476

Guest
It's said you need 10,000 hours to master a skill. Get practicing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne

Forum Sod
I’m a huge fan of finding the right blade for the razor. Not one blade works in all in my opinion. So if a feather works in one but cuts you up in another it is more likely to be a poor match than poor technique. Finding the blade for each razor is the key.
 
Top