Gillette Silver Blues - not a close shave ?

Wrong End Chihuahua

Über Member
I haven't ever used GSBs until today. When I just started wet shaving, I tried a couple of well regarded stainless blades (Astra SS, Crystal) and they were giving me irritation, so I just stuck with platinum coated ones.

Tried GSB for the first time this morning, and my first impression was, "wow, that's a smooth blade !" Had a very comfortable and apparently a BBS quality shave.

However, just over two hours later, I started feeling some fresh stubble on my face. This doesn't usually happen until much later.

Can't blame the razor as it has been very consistent over the years.

Are GSB's really not close shavers ?

slapo

It's... alive!
I'd suggest comparing against a blade you're familiar with in the same shave (e.g. use one blade on the left side and the other one on the other side) to make sure all other parameters are the same before drawing conclusions.
Too many variables otherwise.

R181

Grumpy old man
I would not jump to a conclusion about the GSB blades from a single use. There are various reasons a shave can be subpar other than the blade. I would use the same brand blade for at least 7 consecutive times before forming any conclusions about the blade.

Personally, GSBs have been a smooth and close shaving blade for me. That is not to say every shave has been close and/or smooth. There have been days when something else may have been off in my shave.

Bob

Zorro

Forum GOD!
I would agree with the above.

Maybe you just went at a more shallow angle than usual, so just taking the top off the stubble and giving a BBS shave at first impression, but then it pops back up more quickly than usual ?

I have experienced similar when playing around with "riding the cap" and very shallow / more horizontal blade angles. It will feel like a super smooth shave, but will grow back much more quickly, just like a good cart shave does

Wrong End Chihuahua

Über Member
Well, I'll keep testing them...

Had a shave with a Nacet this morning (another great blade that I haven't used before). Same razor, same prep, same soap. Three hours later, I still have BBS everywhere.

Tomorrow, I'll do another shave with GSB and see if it's any different than the first one.

FWIW, it is an incredibly smooth blade.

Added: I just realized that I posted in a SE blades forum. Stoopid me.